Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times

Advertisements

I think people feel that they need to retire to something, I know there are a lot of clickbait articles about that. I think it means don’t just sit around and drink coffee all the time in retirement, but I only do things I enjoy. I have not done any volunteer either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Have you thought of hiring a coach? I have my first appointment today.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

I don't think retirement has to be meaningful or productive. It's play time!

I agree with the above!

The personality and psyche of some people will not allow it however.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Define / seek the legacy you wish to leave behind. (You may have already completed that.)

Coach might be a good idea.
Can get a head start by reading and participating in events like:
1) Finishing strong
2) second half
3) how to retire with purpose

A conference / presentation with small groups may bring you a broader selection of ideas.

You don't need to be busy, just purposed (or not if that mode doesn't fit you).
There are so many options, you will only be able to achieve a limited number. Good thing you are starting early. Do the physically and mentally demanding stuff sooner than later. PM if you want a thousand ideas. (I will only be able to meet a few of my interests. Retired way to late at age 49, but pursued very interesting opportunities since. Including EDU (Masters program), RTW travel, volunteer and mentoring opportunities. Looking forward to language and music studies.

Do what warms your heart and makes you smile inside and out.

I plan to die broke / net zero. All my estate has been designated to charity before I was age 40, and long before (age 17 was a transformation to give more away, than to keep). Never knew wealth, never wanted for 'plenty'. Hourly, night shift worker. Single income family, no inheritance (except lots of family debt). I haven't starved by any means. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. (Never have watched a football game).

Your formula will be unique to you.
Best wishes for a strong finish! You are very fortunate and wise to have the privilege of choice, while still young and able.

Congrats!

Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
You are still working and easing into retirement. This is a perfect time to look to the future. I started before retirement and I know a great many others who started planning before retiring. Some people are content to take it easy in retirement. Others of us have interests, passions, things we want to accomplish, things to learn, places to go. I spent some time thinking about life's possibilities and realized I wanted to travel and visit our National Parks and other special areas of great beauty and attraction. My wife and I were full time in an RV for a couple of years. I had spent my career in technology and realized I wanted to expand my artistic side. I started with photography which I still enjoy and later included painting. I enjoy the "zen" of archery and shoot a simple bow without a sight. I belong a several groups centered around these hobbies and have made friends based on these mutual interests. I moved to within walking distance of a University and take courses mainly in photography and the arts. Today my wife and I are working on printing and preparing prints for exhibition. She has 8 going to a church for a group exhibition. I have 4 going to a local gallery. We both just dropped off 4 for another local gallery and we each have prints at another gallery. Starting from close to nothing, communicating visually has become a major interest and success.

Everyone is different in their passions and interests. I mentioned mine just for an example. You need to do some self examination and decide how you want to enjoy your retirement whether meaningful, productive, playtime or perhaps a mix of all of those.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
One can have many interests and passions, and love learning and be vitally interested in many things, and spend time pursuing one's many interests

- and still feel no need to find any particular meaning in retirement and not feel a strong need to be productive in retirement.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:54 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
I retired 5 years ago, and I still wake up in a cold sweat at 5 a.m. Monday mornings, thinking that my alarm didn't go off 30 minutes ago and I'm going to be late for work. Grasping that I'm retired, still hasn't happened. It takes time. Do what you want to do. Don't feel that you have to do anything. Have fun--you've earned it.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Just go with the flow. Do nothing the first year or so.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:32 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I retired 5 years ago, and I still wake up in a cold sweat at 5 a.m. Monday mornings, thinking that my alarm didn't go off 30 minutes ago and I'm going to be late for work. Grasping that I'm retired, still hasn't happened. It takes time. Do what you want to do. Don't feel that you have to do anything. Have fun--you've earned it.
yes - i was in the military, so Sunday night meant getting uniform and boots ready.

So i would still get those OMG - i gotta get those things ready Sunday night feelings for a few years after i retired.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM

332 posts, read 287,197 times
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I'll do some more self reflection, and look at some of those resources like 'Finishing Strong' and 'What Color is your Parachute'.

I guess there's no one way to do it. It's an exciting phase of life. Try new things, do more of the things I already like.

I know I've always worried that everybody else knows what they're doing, and I'm out here wasting time. I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in. I've always worked, and lived below my means, so I could feel secure. I need to have confidence that I'm doing ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement