Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:03 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I disagree strongly - every day in retirement is enjoyable with its freedom - and it depends what you think fun is - just being free is fun - and I certainly don't share your feelings of what you've been through in your own retirement, and I think your view is certainly not shared by 'most' as you claim

I thought my husband would be bored as heck when he retired after a long and prestigious career in research. Nope, he took to it like a duck to water . that sense of freedom is amazing. My husband and I do whatever we’re in the mood for and since We have no obligation can take off somewhere when it suits us. It’s been a whole new adventure. As for all the things I like to do , I’m pretty sure some would view them as a waste of time but meh! Makes me happy.

Of course it helps immensely that my husband and I get along very well, adore each other and we are easygoing in general.

Last edited by Spuggy; 11-13-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 08:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
It’s ok to be bored sometimes. I have no specific goals except to keep this body going for at least another 30 years. That’s a long time. So I have to do lots of physical activities. As for my brain, I do plan to take as many classes as possible, but no more than 1-2 classes per term, one of them is exercise of some sort. I met a retiree and she said she has taken more than 200 credits already. That’s my plan. No hurry though.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm 50 and retirement is on the horizon. I'm actually baffled as to why folks can't figure out their retirement. We all know it's coming. We have decades to plan. Plan our money AND plan our time.
Because it often never quite works out the way you imagined. Putting aside all the circumstances that can alter the best laid plans, our needs can change very much between the age of 50 to 60 or 70. About the only thing I’d agree with is planning your money for retirement is a BIGGIE. I not doing any of the things I thought I’d be doing in retirement ,instead I have a whole new lifestyle in a place I never imagined I’d live. Planning your time is an ever-changing evolving process based on current health, circumstances, budget and where you live.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I found it impossible to plan my future time from within the exhaustion and stress of being present while working. I had some ideas but it wasn't possible to accurately imagine the future in that present (including tearing myself away from the tight-knit group of workers that had become my community). When people asked me what I'd do in retirement, I always said that I'd have to do nothing for as long as I felt like until I felt like doing something.

Besides moving to Colorado from Boston, I found that to be true. I know many people don't have a job/night shift of the stress I had, but I do think it's not always possible to know how you're going to feel until you get there.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I found it impossible to plan my future time from within the exhaustion and stress of being present while working. .....
You are way too modest. You planned a major cross country move to a very different sort of environment and you had a house built. That is more than most of us would attempt while still working.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are way too modest. You planned a major cross country move to a very different sort of environment and you had a house built. That is more than most of us would attempt while still working.
That's kind of you. I did have a lot of mental time on quiet night shifts to look things up and plot and plan!

Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 AM

115 posts, read 174,750 times
my husband does woodwork. we go to church. eat with friends at the brunch buffet. i enjoy gardening when the weather is good. reading.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:33 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm 50 and retirement is on the horizon. I'm actually baffled as to why folks can't figure out their retirement. We all know it's coming. We have decades to plan. Plan our money AND plan our time.
Oh to be 50 and "baffled". WHY couldn't we all foresee the old-age ailments that accost us?

Why on earth didn't I plan around all these afflictions! LOL.

You'd be amazed what changes the ole bod can wrought between 50 and 60-ish.

But sounds like you are an outlier, so probably won't happen to you.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Because it often never quite works out the way you imagined. Putting aside all the circumstances that can alter the best laid plans, our needs can change very much between the age of 50 to 60 or 70. About the only thing I’d agree with is planning your money for retirement is a BIGGIE. I not doing any of the things I thought I’d be doing in retirement ,instead I have a whole new lifestyle in a place I never imagined I’d live. Planning your time is an ever-changing evolving process based on current health, circumstances, budget and where you live.
Plan but remain flexible. There are so many people who are completely clueless as to what to do with themselves in retirement.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I suspect that retirement is a lot "easier" if you're married, have a family with whom you're very close or involved, or even a group of friends who keep you busy... I'd be more interested in hearing about the challenges of -- like the original poster -- single and childless people and perhaps those relocating to a new area where they don't know anyone. There is a challenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement