Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 AM

332 posts, read 287,197 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single female, 59, no kids thinking about how to have a meaningful retirement. I'm working mainly for health insurance.

I enjoy being physically active and being outside
I have a yoga community I love
I attend a church now and then
I have a womens group I enjoy
I haven't been able to get myself to volunteer, I can't think of how/where I want to spend my time
I enjoy helping others, especially making them laugh
I need to make an effort to build myself more communities, as I feel lonely, and like I should be doing something productive, a lot of the time

I'm still working 3-4 days a week, but spend most of my free time at a coffee shop, reading, surfing the Net, just frittering away my time, especially afternoons.

I enjoy knitting, and would like to learn more, I feel I need a creative outlet. I used to sketch, but I find it stressful now; It has to be perfect. I want to enjoy the process, not just the outcome. I love to travel.

Sorry, this is kind of all over the place. I just got back from a major trip, and feel I need a plan, direction, purpose.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have on how to get some direction, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I think the 1st thing is to define what 'productive' means to you. Making someone laugh sounds pretty good to me.

Are you inclined to make something? teach something? share something?

Pick one of your interests and decide what to do with it. Where you want it to lead you.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
It takes time to define your retirement. I didn’t until I came back for 4 months of traveling to Europe. I wouldn’t worry too early. You are naturally drawn to certain activities and keep doing them.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
I don't think retirement has to be meaningful or productive. It's play time!

If you have worked your whole life and saved enough to live comfortably in retirement, you have already put in your productive time. Also, when trying to pick an activity to pursue, you shouldn't be thinking that it has to be a long term commitment. It's ok to try something just for the heck of it and see how it goes. If it's not great, try something else.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
I suggest looking around for some available volunteer activities. Try out one that interests you. If you find it's not a good fit, stop doing it and look for something else. It took my husband several tries to find the volunteer activity that he was really happy in.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Maybe work with a homeless shelter through church?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times
There are LOTS of retirement communities in Florida that have so many things to do that you'll wonder how you ever found time to work. I mean, good grief, the list of activities in some of these communities is several pages long... single spaced in small print.

You don't have to have a spouse or SO to live in one of these communities. They also have "Singles" clubs for those who don't have partners. I won't even begin to list the available activities, but if you aren't checking out these 55+ retirement communities, then you aren't really looking.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
You are goal seeking. You also show traits of approval seeking that can overwhelm your inner voice. Wander over to the self-help section of the bookstore and read "What color is your parachute" to try to find the match of skills and what you enjoy. Then consider a five or ten year plan on where you want to be in all ways. Build towards that goal in a measured fashion. Solid goals take time, planning, perseverance, and education.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I don't think retirement has to be meaningful or productive. It's play time!

If you have worked your whole life and saved enough to live comfortably in retirement, you have already put in your productive time. Also, when trying to pick an activity to pursue, you shouldn't be thinking that it has to be a long term commitment. It's ok to try something just for the heck of it and see how it goes. If it's not great, try something else.

it’s the “should’s“ that trap people. On the other hand some need the “should’s” to give their lives some guidance and structure but I see so many give themselves such guilt trips and misery instead of just enjoying retirement.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Volunteering can be fulfilling or a dud. It depends on the organization and if they know how to use volunteers. I know people who hate it and feel they are treated like a nuisance. Sometimes it is self directed -- you see something that nobody is doing that needs to be done. I was a volunteer researcher at a state archives. They got stacks of mail inquiries like "my grandpa said he was the only survivor of Custer's Last Stand" (nope), or "my confederate ancestor was at Gettysburg" (yep, only not confederate). Paid staff never had time to do the research but I enjoyed it. Now I volunteer at a foundation that has a focus on community awareness of arts, design, and architecture. After a few years I'm a board member and maybe more involved than I wanted to be but it is fulfilling volunteer work for a retiree and I like the people. I used to walk dogs at the animal shelter. I got some exercise and the dogs enjoyed the walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement