Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times

Advertisements

It's almost like someone needs to write the 3rd Act Manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,319,465 times
For the sketching you might like this https://www.youtube.com/user/teohyc/videos

For knitting/crochet see https://www.ravelry.com/ see forum and groups.

Try something new out of your comfort zone. Learn a new hobby.

See www.quiltingboard.com some of the ladies there make babyquilts for donation to hospitals. There is also under Requests a very long thread about helping with quilts,pillowcases etc.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
For the sketching you might like this https://www.youtube.com/user/teohyc/videos

For knitting/crochet see https://www.ravelry.com/ see forum and groups.

Try something new out of your comfort zone. Learn a new hobby.

See www.quiltingboard.com some of the ladies there make babyquilts for donation to hospitals. There is also under Requests a very long thread about helping with quilts,pillowcases etc.
Why would anyone waste their time? To keep their hands busy?

People today could not care less about hand made things and they will not care about some knit thing that someone did. What is the point of doing a knit or crochet or quilt thing today? Youth today do not believe that they have a future.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:39 AM

They won't be looking after the family linen, so why initial it?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:56 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Dixie

Assuming you have a financially prepared retirement, as in you can afford to do so, the rest will fall in place once you take the time to look about and decide what is next. There is only one thing money cannot buy and that is poverty.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Dixie

Assuming you have a financially prepared retirement, as in you can afford to do so, the rest will fall in place once you take the time to look about and decide what is next. ....
IMO that is not the case with a great many people. They retire with ideas about where they will live as far as housing goes, but they have few other plans. Boredom and depression are common results. If they do not have a significant other, loneliness also follows. Some of them try to "get out of the house" and volunteer or join groups or visit senior centers. They may be nice people but they are still without passions, still depressed and still lonely. The "friends" they make are in the same situation. Aimless, depressed and lonely....not the way I would want to live, but it is what some choose intentionally or otherwise due to lack of planning.

Last edited by jrkliny; 11-13-2019 at 06:52 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 07:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
Hello, I'm a single female, 59, no kids thinking about how to have a meaningful retirement. I'm working mainly for health insurance.

I enjoy being physically active and being outside
I have a yoga community I love
I attend a church now and then
I have a womens group I enjoy
I haven't been able to get myself to volunteer, I can't think of how/where I want to spend my time
I enjoy helping others, especially making them laugh
I need to make an effort to build myself more communities, as I feel lonely, and like I should be doing something productive, a lot of the time

I'm still working 3-4 days a week, but spend most of my free time at a coffee shop, reading, surfing the Net, just frittering away my time, especially afternoons.

I enjoy knitting, and would like to learn more, I feel I need a creative outlet. I used to sketch, but I find it stressful now; It has to be perfect. I want to enjoy the process, not just the outcome. I love to travel.

Sorry, this is kind of all over the place. I just got back from a major trip, and feel I need a plan, direction, purpose.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have on how to get some direction, thanks!
Good post. It IS challenging when you don't have the usual husband/wife/children to dictate not only how you spend your retirement (usually babysitting, if my friends are any indication), but also where, as -- at least in my case -- there's no family to tie me to any one place. I believe we all DO need a purpose in life.

Even in retirement.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Why would anyone waste their time? To keep their hands busy?

People today could not care less about hand made things and they will not care about some knit thing that someone did. What is the point of doing a knit or crochet or quilt thing today? Youth today do not believe that they have a future.
there are many causes and organization that want and accept knit, crochet or sewn itemS. Just off the top of my head there is :

https://www.knittedknockers.org/
AND
https://www.littledressesforafrica.o...-instructions/
AND
Crafting for a Cause | Rio Rancho, New Mexico

That aside learning a new skill is healthy for the mind as well as hand eye coordination and dexterity. The act of doing art, or craft,drawing in and of itself is meditative. Some get that joy and feeling from gardening, or woodworking but I hardly think doing something you enjoy is a waste of time.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
In a city in my former state (Lowell, Mass.) someone has been knitting scarves, hats and gloves and tying them to a bridge area where homeless people often congregate. Also leaving blankets on benches nearby. I certainly think that is a worthwhile thing to to do with handmade work, and much appreciated.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's almost like someone needs to write the 3rd Act Manual.
I'm 50 and retirement is on the horizon. I'm actually baffled as to why folks can't figure out their retirement. We all know it's coming. We have decades to plan. Plan our money AND plan our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement