Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I got a fraudulent call from some scammers about an hour ago. what makes this scary is that I told him I needed confirmation that this was indeed the ssa because my understanding was that government agencies do not call you.

Anyway he took me through some very convincing steps to supposedly convince me. wow, I can see how someone would be fooled.

Anyhoo, he told me that my social security number had been involved in a investigation involving money Laundering connected with a cocaine bust in New mexico and it was now "suspended".

I basically told him I still did not trust the phone call, told him again that it was my understanding that no federal government agency will call you, I asked him to hold on because I was going to record it. as soon as I said that the line went dead.

Anyway I will say it was scary because the phone number showed on my caller I.D. as coming from the SSA office in Maryland and he sent out an email with a link to the ssa page.

Scammers are getting high tech guys, just be on your toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
This is a well known scam. They don’t call you unless you have correspond with them before regardless of the phone number.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Yes, I got a call like this a couple of days ago. These social security and IRS scams have been going on for years. Just hang up.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:09 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I got a call like this a couple of days ago. These social security and IRS scams have been going on for years. Just hang up.
These scam work often because what they want is you to do is give them the last 4 digits of your ss number to confirm your identity ..people don’t realize how many financial accesses only require the last 4 digits of an ss number to gain access

Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Give nothing out. If you worry, go to your local SS office and find out.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
These scam work often because what they want is you to give them the last 4 digits of your ss number to confirm your identity ..people don’t realize how many financial accesses only require the last 4 digits of an ss number to gain access
I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
I get those all the time, along with the IRS Swat Team in military helicopters are coming to arrest me for not answering a jury summons.

All a scam.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM

6,033 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hello All,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that I got a fraudulent call from some scammers about an hour ago. what makes this scary is that I told him I needed confirmation that this was indeed the ssa because my understanding was that government agencies do not call you.

Anyway he took me through some very convincing steps to supposedly convince me. wow, I can see how someone would be fooled.

Anyhoo, he told me that my social security number had been involved in a investigation involving money Laundering connected with a cocaine bust in New mexico and it was now "suspended".

I basically told him I still did not trust the phone call, told him again that it was my understanding that no federal government agency will call you, I asked him to hold on because I was going to record it. as soon as I said that the line went dead.

Anyway I will say it was scary because the phone number showed on my caller I.D. as coming from the SSA office in Maryland and he sent out an email with a link to the ssa page.

Scammers are getting high tech guys, just be on your toes.
Are you saying that the scammer called you and you gave him your email address so that he could send you an email? Why would you do that?

I would have challenged the caller to tell me what my SS number is as proof that he already has it. After all, if he is alleging that my SS# was used in some phony scheme, then he must know what the number is. Even if he could tell me my SS#, I wouldn't give him any information, but I probably would make a separate call to the SS office to verify if what the caller was telling me was true.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:42 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
I never answer the phone anymore. I don't care what phone number shows up, I wait for a message. Then I call back.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
If the scammers want my Social Security Number, they are welcome to it. In fact, I'll just post it here! It's 123-45-6789.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement