Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 PM

821 posts, read 408,095 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a trip yesterday. While sitting at the gate waiting for boarding, a woman two seats away started coughing. I immediately got up and found another seat at a safe distance. At least no one was coughing on the plane.

Just read that Italy has banned weddings, funerals, and many other gathering events. Lots of things older people like to do.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/venic...b6670e72f922ea

Last edited by Rastafellow; 03-07-2020 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,292 times
Well last night DW and I went out to dinner with friends and then this morning we went to a farmer's market and then to a local school fund raiser. Next month we are flying to meet some other friends for some bird watching and hiking in Arizona. We are 69 and 72. We might change if things get bad.

But we are washing our hands more.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:51 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,668,546 times
We are fully stocked with provisions and have no reason to leave our home. We are senior citizens. I am healthy (far as I know) and husband has COPD, heart stents, etc.

We live in WA - the epicenter of the convid-19.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,378,397 times
I would never stop doing things and living life to its fullest, no matter whatever is my age.

If you stay home all the time, you might as well die.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,285,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is nothing new, we’ve been doing this for a while now and when we’re sick, we don’t go out and spread. Also the people that we come in contact with are much older than we are, they have a compromised immune system, we worry about them, not just us. It’s called common sense to aging. No, I don’t distrust CDC, however I think they do make mistakes sometime.
Actually, this is new. I’ve never heard that old people should stay home to prevent being infected. This is a whole new level of caution. Of course we should not go out if we are sick. But this advise is to stay home even if you are well.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,182,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I just returned from a trip yesterday. While sitting at the gate waiting for boarding, a woman two seats away started coughing. I immediately got up and found another seat at a safe distance. At least no one was coughing on the plane.

Just read that Italy has banned weddings, funerals, and many other gathering events. Lots of things older people like to do.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/venic...b6670e72f922ea
People should stay home when they are ill especially avoid confined places like planes, for the good of the other passengers but some people don't think that way.

I wonder if they will ban weddings and other large private gatherings in this country, too.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,998,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Actually, this is new. I’ve never heard that old people should stay home to prevent being infected. This is a whole new level of caution. Of course we should not go out if we are sick. But this advise is to stay home even if you are well.
There are too many OTHER people going out while sick, and some who don't know they are sick. You do not want to encounter them while you are out. That is why going to crowded places has become dangerous for older people.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,756,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you think about it modern society is defying "normal life". Normal life (animals, plants) go into hibernation/dormant mode in the winter and re-emerge in the spring.

So did we at one time. That's the origination of the term "cabin fever".
Some animals (including some people) migrate instead. That is the origin of the term “snowbird.”

Old 03-07-2020, 10:21 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,091,385 times
Not changing my travel plans or shopping, leaving needs or wants. We have no compromised respiratory or other health issues. We take the same sanitary precautions as always, have all recommended vaccines which for older people is important IMHO. The regular occurring influenza is about as deadly, just not as contagious or overblown by the media.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:41 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,175,572 times
Does anybody think this thing will keep people from voting? I was planning on going to early vote place which is usually crowded with a long line of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement