Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:51 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times

Advertisements

Even for those who distrust the CDC, it's something to think about.

The article is from CNN, with links to the CDC web page.

"The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds, such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters or concerts, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...us/ar-BB10QLvV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
This is nothing new, we’ve been doing this for a while now and when we’re sick, we don’t go out and spread. Also the people that we come in contact with are much older than we are, they have a compromised immune system, we worry about them, not just us. It’s called common sense to aging. No, I don’t distrust CDC, however I think they do make mistakes sometime.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-07-2020 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-07-2020, 08:07 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
This part of the virus isn't rocket science. The less you are exposed to other people, the less chance you have of getting it. You don't need any government agency to tell you that.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:20 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This part of the virus isn't rocket science. The less you are exposed to other people, the less chance you have of getting it. You don't need any government agency to tell you that.
You would be surprised at how many are shocked at hearing this advise. Common sense is not as common as most would think.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:21 AM

18,731 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I have a friend of 67 who has been hospitalized for severe bronchitis (and her husband is 80). They live in Honolulu and she was, until the other day, planning a flight through LAX to go visit grandchildren. Had bought hand sanitizer and masks and following any announced cases in Hawaii.

Managed to convince her to cancel the trip. She just wrote and said she's/they are planning to stay home a lot more, shop at off-hours, husband not going out to breakfast buffet every day. Attend the few things that she normally does, look for off hours. She has a concierge doctor in addition to Medicare and I'd suggest she talk to the doc about what to do if she becomes ill with any respiratory illness, as she has been severely hospitalized in the past.

I don't think it matters if any tested cases show up in Honolulu. The lack of testing available, the contagion while asymptotic (and the "it's just a cold/flu" attitude of so many people and media outlets) I think ensure that the virus is certainly quite prevalent.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a friend of 67 who has been hospitalized for severe bronchitis (and her husband is 80). They live in Honolulu and she was, until the other day, planning a flight through LAX to go visit grandchildren. Had bought hand sanitizer and masks and following any announced cases in Hawaii.

Managed to convince her to cancel the trip. She just wrote and said she's/they are planning to stay home a lot more, shop at off-hours, husband not going out to breakfast buffet every day. Attend the few things that she normally does, look for off hours. She has a concierge doctor in addition to Medicare and I'd suggest she talk to the doc about what to do if she becomes ill with any respiratory illness, as she has been severely hospitalized in the past.

I don't think it matters if any tested cases show up in Honolulu. The lack of testing available, the contagion while asymptotic (and the "it's just a cold/flu" attitude of so many people and media outlets) I think ensure that the virus is certainly quite prevalent.
Agree

Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It was the specificity of the CDC announcement that took me back a bit: "traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters or concerts, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

I mean, I get the point of minimizing exposure to other people. I guess I just hadn't thought in specific terms of what to do.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
This is something I always do during flu season and I have done this for years.
I call it my winter hibernating

Got plenty to keep me busy. When I do go out it's very early to avoid crowds.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:40 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
It was the specificity of the CDC announcement that took me back a bit: "traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters or concerts, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

I mean, I get the point of minimizing exposure to other people. I guess I just hadn't thought in specific terms of what to do.
Do you do anything different in the winter during flu season ?
If not then yes, I can see why you would be surprised.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Do you do anything different in the winter during flu season ?
If not then yes, I can see why you would be surprised.
The only thing I do different in the winter during flu season is get a flu shot before the season begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement