Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 12:23 AM

93 posts, read 54,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I recommend a towel placed over the steering wheel when you park outdoors.
I recommend a cloth steering wheel cover. That's what I have and it works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
After living in Florida, we found the winters to be cold.

We got tired of the incessant dust in AZ.
Where was this that the winters were too cold? I'm pretty happy here in Bradenton, right near the coast so it's usually breezy and can be quite tolerable in the shade in summer. I've have felt far worse humidity in the summers up north.

I don't think I'd do well in AZ, though I love the scenery. I think my sinuses and skin need moisture in the air. I know when I was out there I was constantly parched. A friend is trying to talk me into Palm Springs, the hot new weekend destination for the SoCal crowd, no pun intended. I checked their weather one night last week and it was 106 at 9 pm. When I was out there one July, it felt like a blast furnace. Also, I didn't like the dusty air...and I like being by the water. Nothing more soothing and peaceful for me than the sunsets over the Gulf. Have not experienced any palmetto bugs, alligators or sinkholes, thank God. One hurricane, Irma, came by in 2017 but no damage. But still super stressful as it approached!

What I can't tolerate at my age is cold. It is physically painful for me, and even temps in the 60s cause my whole body to shiver. I had been thinking of moving back to SoCal, where I lived for two years and loved it, but when I visited last April, I was freezing! Guess my blood is too thin from 7 years in Florida!

Old 06-15-2020, 05:24 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Palm Springs has very similar temps as Phoenix. It's was the playground for Hollywood stars for many decades including Bob Hope. It's fascinating driving through town and seeing so much mid century modern architecture from the 1950s era. Last year I sold a complete set of mid century modern dinnerware to a member of Paul McCartney's band who wanted his dinnerware to match his house.
The advantage of living in Palm Springs is that it's a very doable drive to spend the day in Los Angeles or San Diego and the beaches, or the adjacent mountains with ski resorts. Golfing is practically unlimited with world class resorts. You can live in Palm Springs and still spend a day in the snow or at the Pacific Ocean and be back home for dinner.
The disadvantage is that it's California with it's high taxes and high electric bills and other problems we all know about.
No other state has as mild winter temps as southern Florida other than of course Hawaii.

Last edited by marino760; 06-15-2020 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Arizona has some great sporting clays courses. Two of them are right here in the valley, Ben Avery Clay Target Center just north of Phoenix, and Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa.

Are you a shooter?
Yeah, I don't get out as much as I want, work tends to interfere. But we have a decent Clays range out in the country about 20 miles from my place.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 14,163 times
Quote:
Whoever said, "but it's a dry heat" was insane

Thankfully, we're hiding inside these days.
So are you no longer "Rust'n in Tustin" (your "Location") and have moved out of California? Tustin is a nice city overall. Not a retirement mecca , but nice.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Palm Springs felt like there is no there there.....to me.

But I'm not a golfer which a lot of Palm Springs is built around. Nor tennis player.

And blast furnace temperatures of 110+ degrees keep people inside in air conditioning during parts of the year.

I didn't find the mountains there particularly attractive either.

It attracts gay men (gay resorts there) - a plus for them - and a tiny few show business people - but it seemed deadly dull or pretty dull.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:31 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Palm Springs felt like there is no there there.....to me.

But I'm not a golfer which a lot of Palm Springs is built around. Nor tennis player.

And blast furnace temperatures of 110+ degrees keep people inside in air conditioning during parts of the year.

I didn't find the mountains there particularly attractive either.

It attracts gay men (gay resorts there) - a plus for them - and a tiny few show business people - but it seemed deadly dull or pretty dull.
Agreed for the most part. You were probably there in the summer. I'll disagree about the mountains though but everyone can have a different opinion. There's a good percentage of people who have winter homes there and leave in spring. PS used to be part of my territory when I worked for the utility company and they do have some of the highest utility rates in the country.
Winter months you see a lot more people in town, eating out, walking around downtown, playing golf or tennis. There are tourists from all over the world. Winter temps are usually in the 70s during the day but it can and does get cold at times.
I'm only pointing out that if you like or don't mind the summer extreme heat, don't hate CA, love to golf, want to be driving distance to the ocean and have plenty of money to burn in retirement, PS might be considered, even for a second winter home instead of Phoenix.

Last edited by marino760; 06-15-2020 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 07:00 PM

3,273 posts, read 3,936,892 times
Gas at the Wal-Mart near Frank Lloyd Wright and the 101 was $2.10 a gallon, about a buck a gallon cheaper than So Cal

Old 06-15-2020, 10:49 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
There are fewer days in Arizona that are "too hot" that there were days in Chicago that were "too cold." It is much easier to get used to 110F than =20F, hinestly.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Gas at the Wal-Mart near Frank Lloyd Wright and the 101 was $2.10 a gallon, about a buck a gallon cheaper than So Cal
Being comfortable, in my own home, is more important than a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement