Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 03:30 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,313,540 times

Advertisements

I guess the fact that I can do what I want when I want - in theory.

Then real life gets in the way. Sibling is sick, so have to help there. Car needs repairs. We need to eat, so I have to cook or go get something - lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 03:45 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,393,443 times
Besides being paid to do nothing, I enjoy the freedom of being able to stay up late and sleep in, take a nap whenever, and just make my own schedule. I'm not on a clock anymore.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:45 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,830,238 times
No DH money coming in here. I get 2 monthly, pension and SS and I have ENOUGH as I don't WANT much or NEED much anymore.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,830,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess the fact that I can do what I want when I want - in theory.

Then real life gets in the way. Sibling is sick, so have to help there. Car needs repairs. We need to eat, so I have to cook or go get something - lol
Due to damage from hip replacement and knee mess, I gave up my auto about 4 yrs ago and it was tough but what a RELIEF. I get what I need and friends and family help me and no more car expenses....talk about expense....wow.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:57 PM

11,812 posts, read 6,187,993 times
Best parts of retirement. Geez, so many to chose from.

It is Sunday night, and the dishes are done and it is time for bed. I slide between the sheets in blissful euphoria knowing that tomorrow is yet another "Saturday" with no structured demands on my time when I am mainly in control and can do whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it. Or nothign at all.

There is no alarm clock to set and none will scream at me in the morning. I think I lost 2 years off my life from the sudden terror of being torn awake from a sound sleep by a blaring siren from an alarm clock at 6:30 in the morning. I think being awakened by a blaring alarm clock is one of the most stressful shocks you can be subjected to in life, that doesn't cause permanent mental of physical damage. It always suprised me that alarm clocks weren't used as torture devices for terrorists at Guantanamo.

Commute traffic? Do you know how much stress relief I have had from this alone? Don't even get me started on parking.

How about the days I was running late. That is always fun, racing dangerously through the commute, only to feel the timid humilation of noticeably arriving when everyone else is busy working, and no good excuse for it.

Just the freedom.

Obviusly this isthe biggie. Freedom. For the first time since Kindergarten, I have no structured demand on my time. I mean, it has been 57 years since I have had no structured demand on my time, besides my mother putting me to bed. 57 freaking years. That is a top benefit. I keep praying I don't end up on Chemo or Dialysis, or any other regular treatment tying me down.

Heart attack for me, please! And my Doctor always wanted me to take Statins. Little did he know, if I can chose a way to go, heart attack is my strong preference. 4 minutes of sheer terror followed by blissful sleep & wake up in Heaven. Hopefully...

I can take a last minute trip on a Tuesday because I got a screaming last minute deal on hotels or airfare. I can start a muli-day project and not get stymied by having to go to work Monday and wait until next Saturday to pick it up again.

Another big benefit is you can shop, travel, and play off-peak when things are less crowded and possibly less expensive.

No boss looking over your shoulder.

I could go on for 20 pages, but let me leave you with this.

Getting sick.

Even the flu is SO much better when you are retired than working.

When I was working, I had to call in to my boss at work each and every single day to tell him "I am still sick, I can't come in today". Too many would ask if I was going to see a doctor. No, I have had the flu 4 days and it will probably run its course in a few more days, so why the hell do I need to go to a doctor? I never said this, but the aggravation of being asked was unbearable. As the days ticked off and the flu bug soldiered on, there was always a point during calling in sick when your boss felt you "should have been fine by now" and you could hear a hesitation in his voice, a little interruption when you know he is starting to wonder if you are faking illness to stretch out staying at home.

I detested having to call in each and every day to say I was still sick. How about I call you to tell you I am sick and you will know I am not sick when I show up again? I mean, that would work woudn't it? And then there is the inevitable requirement to go to the doctor, because you just can't keep calling in to your boss after 5 or 10 days with the flu and explain you are doing nothing to get better, and so you are FORCED to go to the doctor and get some medication you don't want to take.

Even the flu is better when you are retired.

I retired Jan 1 2020. One week after retiring -- I am talking just 5 days after -- I got a flu bug. I was sick for 25 straight days. It felt like a cross between a normal respiratory flu and pneumonia. It was weird. It might have been Covid, but maybe not. I will never know. But it was wonderful. 2 solid weeks in, it was my choice NOT to go to the doctor and just wait it out. It wasn't getting any worse, and I figured if it just stayed the way it was, it couldn't last forever. Multiple times during that illness, I just sat there on the sofa watching TV and luxuriating in being sick and NOT HAVING to call a boss and account for my justifiable absence.

After 25 days, I was finally healed. No calling a boss for 15 straight work days and then HAVING to go to a doctor just because I have a boss.

I never thought that even getting sick was better in retirement, but it is true. Everything is better.

Aging sucks, but retirement is just wonderful with no down side I can yet find. None. Every down side of retirement is just an extension of some down side I was already experiencing while I worked.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-20-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-20-2021, 04:19 PM

860 posts, read 476,378 times
Oh good!, now I can't wait to get the flu after I retire!

Old 06-20-2021, 04:53 PM

11,812 posts, read 6,187,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Oh good!, now I can't wait to get the flu after I retire!
I can arrange that for you.

You haven't lived until you've had the flu, and didn't have to beg to stay home for it.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:03 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,023,106 times
No part is bad, it's all good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2021, 05:06 PM
JRR

8,188 posts, read 5,702,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No part is bad, it's all good.
Worst part for me is missing the anticipation of a three day holiday weekend or vacation time coming up. None of those any more

Old 06-20-2021, 05:10 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,023,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Worst part for me is missing the anticipation of a three day holiday weekend or vacation time coming up. None of those any more
LOL.

It's all one big holiday now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement