Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 12:26 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,430,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Or develop an illness that prevents you from doing what you always dreamed of doing in retirement....or lose the person with whom you always dreamed of doing it... Retirement can last a long, LONG time!
I don't remember that TZ episode! Are you just talking about regular life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 12:29 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't remember that TZ episode! Are you just talking about regular life?
Real life, which may not go according to plan. The TZ episode illustrated the phenomenon beautifully, however!

Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM

557 posts, read 298,383 times
Best Part of Retirement in Florida:
The feeling of being on summer vacation all the time. Throwing away all the business attire and living in a bathing suit.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Getting income when not working is nice. I only keep track of days for a few things such as day to put out garbage cans and days with low electricity rates during the day. For travel, only look at weekends to ensure not going or coming between LV and SD on high travel days.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:57 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
We're having a thunderstorm (I love storms) and it's pouring rain and I'm cozy at home and don't have to dash through the deluge to get to my car to drive home...

I'll grudgingly admit that THAT'S nice.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:13 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,063,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
But everyday is a xxxx day holiday when you're retired!

I spent more years than I care to remember sitting or crawling through insane traffic trying to get to or from my work destinations in southeast Florida. I'd mentally count the years, months, weeks, then days till I could retire and not have to deal with the mind- numbing traffic anymore.

Now, I turn on the local traffic and weather reports in the AM just before I get up, and watch the traffic reports and rejoice that I no longer have to worry about the traffic snarls, the wrecks, the sheer number of souls on the road that make the traffic such a mess.
My worst traffic was when I lived in San Francisco and commuted to Oakland.

19 miles each way.

SF to Oakland took 45 minutes.

Oakland to SF took 90+ minutes to go the 19 miles, with at least 45 of that creeping up to the Bay Bridge toll plaza, while at least 30 cars cut in front of me along the way, slowing me down. Call it at least 2 hours on Friday evenings.

And I realize a lot of folk had a lot worse commute than I did. I have no clue what it is like in New Jersey or DC, but the folks in Los Angeles must live in their cars commuting when they aren't working or sleeping. I don't know how people drive in L.A.

You are darn tootin' I love retirement!

Now I can laugh at the people with their 90 minute commutes while I am at home living in blissful peace. Who am I kidding. I bet that 90 minute Bay Bridge return commute is well over 2 hours today and probably pushing 3 hours on Friday nights.

Brutal.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:20 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,063,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Fortunately, my federal agency provided free flu shots onsite and most people got one so I rarely got the flu. And my co-workers were older and did not have small vectors (AKA children). But colds were another issue especially if I was on an audit or working long hours to finish a project. This would run me down and I could feel that I was getting sick towards the end of the week so got to spend my weekend in bed The last three years of my career, we hired a lot of younger people with small children and I started to get bad colds that lasted for at least a week. Another good reason to retire!

We were able to call in sick with the administrative assistant. Of course my boss preferred that we call in early, about the time I was sleeping soundly after a night of coughing, etc. but I was able to stretch that to 9 or 10 am since I usually took little sick leave. Others had family members call in for them but I did not have that option.

I was never sickly, but I got the flu for about 2 weeks, twice a year while I lived in San Francisco. I am convinced the culprit was international travel. We had engineers who were immigrants from every continent. Many of them would save up vacation time and then go "home" to visit family and friends for up to a month at a time. I am convinced they would bring germs back with them that I simply was never exposed to and had no immunity. People would go back to China or Vietnam or the Phillipines, Iran, El Salvador, Mexico, on and on -- and come back exposing me to germs I just never had. Not necesarily my co-workers, but I could be served by a waitress who just came back from Egypt or Guatamala.

So I was getting sick a lot during my years living in San Francisco. I moved back to the Sacramento valley, and presto, barely ever sick anymore.

And of course, retirement means even less exposure.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:31 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,083,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Best Part of Retirement in Florida:
The feeling of being on summer vacation all the time. Throwing away all the business attire and living in a bathing suit.
Isn`t it grand.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:50 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Fortunately, my federal agency provided free flu shots onsite and most people got one so I rarely got the flu. And my co-workers were older and did not have small vectors (AKA children).
Even worse than the kid vectors were the office workaholics who couldn't bring themselves to stay home while they were spewing germ factories and efficiently passed their contagions on to everyone else. To add insult to injury, because they also didn't tend to stay home to recover from something adequately, they'd inevitably relapse, get even sicker than they were initially, and someone else had to cover for them!

Most years I never got the bugs working their way around the office but if I did I was the last holdout. By that time everyone else had already experienced whatever it was, had commiserated with the other victims, and their sympathy bank was exhausted. None left for me!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-21-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 03:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
I "retired" from the daily grind in 2001, so it's basically been two decades of doing exactly as I please. Warning: It's extremely addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement