Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 10:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,936,664 times

Advertisements

There's time now, time enough at last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 10:47 AM

15,099 posts, read 12,284,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Worst part for me is missing the anticipation of a three day holiday weekend or vacation time coming up. None of those any more
But everyday is a xxxx day holiday when you're retired!

I spent more years than I care to remember sitting or crawling through insane traffic trying to get to or from my work destinations in southeast Florida. I'd mentally count the years, months, weeks, then days till I could retire and not have to deal with the mind- numbing traffic anymore.

Now, I turn on the local traffic and weather reports in the AM just before I get up, and watch the traffic reports and rejoice that I no longer have to worry about the traffic snarls, the wrecks, the sheer number of souls on the road that make the traffic such a mess.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM

15,099 posts, read 12,284,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And as long as we got our glasses, we're good to go!

Old 06-21-2021, 10:54 AM

215 posts, read 192,951 times
Foe me, the best part is I don't have to get up or go to bed at a certain time.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:22 AM

22,117 posts, read 13,222,667 times
I have to admit that it's nice to be able to call your time your own, but that's all I've come up with in three weeks. Maybe more later.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:25 AM

7,159 posts, read 12,735,673 times
When I was a kid, I dreamed of being a "grown-up" so no one could tell me what to do. An independent little cuss, I wanted to be in charge of my own life. Hated being ordered to do stuff and "no talking back."

Now, an adult and retired, I feel as though my dream has come true. Love getting an allowance, staying up into the wee hours to read (on occasion), eating as much candy as I want (rarely), not eating the vegetable I loathe (lima beans and Brussels sprouts) and choosing my own clothes (all the time).

Retirement is lovely.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 AM

48,643 posts, read 35,131,279 times
Traveling when ever we want, visit family whenever we want. More time for hobbies. More time to do everything. Can stay up all night reading. Never feel rushed. Can take time to cook more extensive meals, no traffic.

Can run errands while everyone else is at work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2021, 11:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,401,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Even the flu is SO much better when you are retired than working.

When I was working, I had to call in to my boss at work each and every single day to tell him "I am still sick, I can't come in today". Too many would ask if I was going to see a doctor. No, I have had the flu 4 days and it will probably run its course in a few more days, so why the hell do I need to go to a doctor? I never said this, but the aggravation of being asked was unbearable. As the days ticked off and the flu bug soldiered on, there was always a point during calling in sick when your boss felt you "should have been fine by now" and you could hear a hesitation in his voice, a little interruption when you know he is starting to wonder if you are faking illness to stretch out staying at home.

I detested having to call in each and every day to say I was still sick. How about I call you to tell you I am sick and you will know I am not sick when I show up again? I mean, that would work woudn't it? And then there is the inevitable requirement to go to the doctor, because you just can't keep calling in to your boss after 5 or 10 days with the flu and explain you are doing nothing to get better, and so you are FORCED to go to the doctor and get some medication you don't want to take.
Fortunately, my federal agency provided free flu shots onsite and most people got one so I rarely got the flu. And my co-workers were older and did not have small vectors (AKA children). But colds were another issue especially if I was on an audit or working long hours to finish a project. This would run me down and I could feel that I was getting sick towards the end of the week so got to spend my weekend in bed The last three years of my career, we hired a lot of younger people with small children and I started to get bad colds that lasted for at least a week. Another good reason to retire!

We were able to call in sick with the administrative assistant. Of course my boss preferred that we call in early, about the time I was sleeping soundly after a night of coughing, etc. but I was able to stretch that to 9 or 10 am since I usually took little sick leave. Others had family members call in for them but I did not have that option.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:17 PM

88,905 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Just don't break your glasses if you lock yourself in a bank vault when there's a nuclear attack and then find a library.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:23 PM

22,117 posts, read 13,222,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just don't break your glasses if you lock yourself in a bank vault when there's a nuclear attack and then find a library.
Or develop an illness that prevents you from doing what you always dreamed of doing in retirement....or lose the person with whom you always dreamed of doing it... Retirement can last a long, LONG time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement