Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 06:47 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, no. Unless you count winning those little ones for getting some of the numbers. Three dollars!!!

I only occasionally bought Lotto tickets way back. Can’t remember the last time—more than 20 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 08:49 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I won $5 on a $20 scratch off card once. Yeah my life.

I've struggled with money all my adult life, just enough to pay bills buy the necessities. It would be nice just once to see what it would be like to not worry about money.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

I don't think it's foolish. Almost everyone has impossible dreams.
Where did you get the idea in blue? I don't find it to be true. For most people (adults), they know what they can afford, what they can accomplish, what can be done in their life.....and 'impossible dreams' are replaced with some achievable goals.

(of course, there are some exceptions)

Old 08-30-2022, 10:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
I feel I hit the lotto because I was born with ten fingers and ten toes and I still have them all.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
I came close about four years ago to winning the Tennessee Cash Game. Got all five numbers and the cash ball was a number between 1 and 5. I had 2 and the winner was 3. So instead of winning $300k I won $7792. So darn close

Old 08-30-2022, 10:27 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
For me, just dreaming about what I'd do with all that money is enough entertainment to make it worth spending 10 or 15 bucks a week.
On average that's $12.50 a week. Let's assume 50 weeks a year. That's $625.00 a year. You could use that money for something very useful for yourself like paying down debt, or investing it so you would see a return on it. You mentioned you've been playing it hard for 30 years? That's $18,750 over 30 years not including inflation. When you play the lottery or gamble in general, you are missing out on much better opportunities that have much more guaranteed positive outcomes compared to the lottery.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Sitting here, just thinking of what I wish I could do to improve my financial situation. `

I'm 80, single for many years, live alone in income based apartment.

I've always wanted a swimming pool. I love to swim, have used the area lakes (central NY state), but they are frequently closed for one reason or another. Where I live does not have a pool.

I knew a woman a long time ago who lived in a complex that had a very nice pool, she invited me once for a swim and it felt like heaven. However, she paid high rent where she lived, something I can't do.

So have been mulling over what options that are open to me and I thought playing the lottery could be an opportunity to win enough so I could move to an apartment complex that had a pool.

So what do you think? Good idea or just foolish thinking?
I think the lottery is foolish.

Focus instead on what you really want to do, which is swimming. If you want to go swimming as a guest, you could perhaps put an ad in places like Craigslist and ask for a bartering situation where people have access to let you use a pool. Maybe in exchange for you watering their plants or walking the dog. You could look into house sitting in the area for homes that have a pool you could use.

Network through senior groups in the area and see if there are pool situations. The thing about having a pool is that the additional use of it doesn't increase the cost of maintenance for the owner. So someone living nearby that has their own pool that you could use with their permission while they are at work, they might not have any issue with it. For security situations, people welcome having their home look busy while they are at work. You could look at Google maps and identify the homes with pools. Then think about approaching them to ask about using their pool. I know people with pools and they go largely unused most of the time, yet they still have to take care of them.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:09 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
OP the odds are far against you winning and you may spend a ton of money before winning big, if ever.
In fact, about 70 percent of people who win a lottery or get a big windfall actually end up broke in a few years, according to the National Endowment for Financial Education.
Here's a good article on the trials and troubles of playing the lottery.
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...lottery_w.html

Old 08-31-2022, 03:46 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Where did you get the idea in blue? I don't find it to be true. For most people (adults), they know what they can afford, what they can accomplish, what can be done in their life.....and 'impossible dreams' are replaced with some achievable goals.

(of course, there are some exceptions)

I figured someone would disagree with that.

No way to prove it either way of course but if people didn't have impossible dreams they wouldn't be buying lottery tickets expecting to win.

IMHO goals set start with a dream. Then the decision/realization on what's possible, what's not. And having decided the impossible I think most people still hold on to a little bit of it.

Could be wrong and, as I said, no way to prove it either way. I'm an adult: I know what I can afford and can do. I still enjoy my impossible dreams.

Don't rain on my parade.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

Don't rain on my parade.
No one is doing that, you are raining on your own parade. Just trying to get people to come in from the rain and be successful and happy, instead of setting yourself up for failure. Playing the lottery isn't a plan. The late Earl Nightingale would talk about worthy goals. Planning to win the lottery isn't a worthy goal. It isn't something you have real control over. You could buy every ticket sold in several states and still not win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement