Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 04:10 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No one is doing that, you are raining on your own parade. Just trying to get people to come in from the rain and be successful and happy, instead of setting yourself up for failure. Playing the lottery isn't a plan. The late Earl Nightingale would talk about worthy goals. Planning to win the lottery isn't a worthy goal. It isn't something you have real control over. You could buy every ticket sold in several states and still not win.
I don't plan to win the lottery. It's more of a hope. And admittedly a small one. I don't even buy 10 tickets a year.

I also buy a few raffle tickets if it's for a worthy cause.

Since I don't plan on winning, I can't fail.

Not sure if there's even any control or if that's an illusion.

And no I am not raining on my parade. Your condescending attitude is, no matter how well intentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 05:08 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Meh, I know someone who would buy lottery tickets in CA every week if not every day. It was a huge big deal to them. The person passed away a couple of years ago and I can't help but think they could have spent all that money over the years to buy airline tickets for a nice trip to Europe or a cruise.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:49 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Meh, I know someone who would buy lottery tickets in CA every week if not every day. It was a huge big deal to them. The person passed away a couple of years ago and I can't help but think they could have spent all that money over the years to buy airline tickets for a nice trip to Europe or a cruise.

or given it to charity.

or eaten lobster every day.
or lived in a 20 room mansion.

his money, his choice.

ok-maybe only a 10 room mansion.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:04 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,451 times
Quote:
No one is doing that, you are raining on your own parade. Just trying to get people to come in from the rain and be successful and happy, instead of setting yourself up for failure. Playing the lottery isn't a plan. The late Earl Nightingale would talk about worthy goals. Planning to win the lottery isn't a worthy goal. It isn't something you have real control over. You could buy every ticket sold in several states and still not win.
Get offa my cloud!

Old 08-31-2022, 07:12 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,451 times
Quote:
On average that's $12.50 a week. Let's assume 50 weeks a year. That's $625.00 a year. You could use that money for something very useful for yourself like paying down debt, or investing it so you would see a return on it. You mentioned you've been playing it hard for 30 years? That's $18,750 over 30 years not including inflation. When you play the lottery or gamble in general, you are missing out on much better opportunities that have much more guaranteed positive outcomes compared to the lottery.
Most people I know spend more than that on coffee drinks every week. They enjoy buying their coffee, and I prefer to make my coffee at home for a fraction of the price and enjoy buying lottery tickets. What's the difference, as long as we get enjoyment out of our choices?

Old 08-31-2022, 07:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
Back in the early 90s, on a lark I bought a lotto ticket when the jackpot was at record highs for the time. Ok, not the big prize but I did win a part of it and did buy a pool! The winnings were $10k, so along with the pool we paid off the remaining car loan, made a charitable donation and put the rest in the youngest childs college fund. It made life a little easier but I would never play expecting or hoping to win.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:13 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
How much more per month would an apartment with a pool cost? Are you really living that close to the edge that a couple of hundred a month would bust the budget?

Old 08-31-2022, 08:27 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
I may start playing the Tennessee Cash Game again; I haven't played for about three years. The prize isn't as big as most but the odds are better. It starts at $200k and increases if no one wins; it goes over $1 million now and then. With what I have already won, I can play $10 a week for the next 12 years or more and still be on the plus side.

It would be strictly for entertainment, but then again you never know. When I lived in Florida in 2000, a group of employees ay a local golf course won the Florida lottery and they each wound up with about $2.5 million. There were a lot of job openings at that golf course in a hurry.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:28 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I remember when a weekly lottery started in Massachusetts. One game a week. (good old days!) The newspaper reported that one's chances of winning were the same as covering seven football fields with playing cards and the chance was one card. That really sat in my memory.

I was raised by a compulsive gambler and it always seemed pointless to me. I've been a spender, no problem, but not a gambler.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:11 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Trivia:

When Vermont first had a lottery, I was working at the tv station where the on-air drawings were to be held. The equipment had to be secure from tampering and the drawing done according to the rules. For some reason, TPTB figured I was the most honest person around and made me proctor. I was paid a small amount ($25?) to supervise (watch) that first drawing, so that may make me the first winner from the Vermont pick three lottery.

In south Florida, the theatres where I worked sold scratch-off tickets for a while. Watching the people buy the tickets, scratch and then immediately toss them, was a reality check that stayed with me.

When I play a lottery, I play to intentionally lose. Whenever I have won a prize in a contest, it has always been in the midst of horrible times. If I lose, I figure I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement