Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 09:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times

Advertisements

Besides the $120 that I won the only time I ever bought lottery tickets - I simply stopped buying after that win, but I won a bigger jackpot years earlier. In 1971, during Vietnam era , I was in the first US Army Draft Lottery and got #324. At work we were listening to the numbers being called out live and at some point the transistor radio died and bedlam ensued.

But to this day I remember hearing that number and never felt the need to enter any other lottery, that was the big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 09:46 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IME outdoor pools are also chlorinated...
Not all.....some have sea salt.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:52 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
NYgal...It must be very expensive living in NY. Have you ever thought of moving to a warmer, less expensive state? You would have no problem finding a place with a nice pool, with people your own age, and not have to deal with kids.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:24 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Just the other day I got a phone call saying I had won Publisher's Clearing House. That's the third time in about ten years for me.

I decided to say, "No thanks" and let someone else have a turn for a change. The last time they wanted me to send them five-hundred dollars worth of Amazon gift cards before they brought Betty White to deliver my check.

I don't win. DH on the other hand is very lucky that way. If there's a drawing chances are good he'll win something. Go figure.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Lotteries are a tax on people who are bad at math.

Your chance of winning big is infinitesimal, one in millions. And they're like slot machines, where the "house" takes a cut. That means that for every dollar spent, the state keeps 10 or 15 cents (I don't know the exact amount, presumably it varies from place to place), and only pays out 85 or 90 cents. So over time, you're not likely to even win back the price of your tickets.

Are there senior centers in your area? Some have pools.
Some public pools also have "adult swim" times when kids aren't allowed.
Can't help you with the chlorine, except to say you could ask if there's a public pool that uses salt water.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:56 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Sitting here, just thinking of what I wish I could do to improve my financial situation. `

I'm 80, single for many years, live alone in income based apartment.

I've always wanted a swimming pool. I love to swim, have used the area lakes (central NY state), but they are frequently closed for one reason or another. Where I live does not have a pool.

I knew a woman a long time ago who lived in a complex that had a very nice pool, she invited me once for a swim and it felt like heaven. However, she paid high rent where she lived, something I can't do.

So have been mulling over what options that are open to me and I thought playing the lottery could be an opportunity to win enough so I could move to an apartment complex that had a pool.

So what do you think? Good idea or just foolish thinking?

Any community/city pools in your area that you could use?

I have a 40 ft pool in my backyard (single family home). I was in it last week for the first time in 2022. Its nice to look at but nobody uses it. Its not as great as some people think it is

Old 08-31-2022, 11:10 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Any community/city pools in your area that you could use?

I have a 40 ft pool in my backyard (single family home). I was in it last week for the first time in 2022. Its nice to look at but nobody uses it. Its not as great as some people think it is
One of the happiest days of my life was when we bought a house with a pool. The happiest day was when we sold that house with the pool.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:22 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One of the happiest days of my life was when we bought a house with a pool. The happiest day was when we sold that house with the pool.
Funny I'm looking a brand new house on an acre and it has no pool. Builder wants $220,000 for a pool that really isn't that great. I told him lets hold off on that hole in the ground. Every house I've lived in since 1984 has had a pool and none were heavily used!

Builder is trying to up sell me on the 1 acre lot. I laughed and said I've never lived on an acre and it just looks like more grass to cut and in my case a higher price for lawn service!

Its a cool neighborhood, lot/house but its crazy money (2.2mm) and I think its overpriced.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Not all.....some have sea salt.
Saltwater pools do have some chorine, just not as much as a freshwater pool. I can still smell it.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:45 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
I have a 40 foot pool and I love it. I actually swim in it too. We used to spend summers at our community pool. Such fun memories. I'm a pool/sun/beach girl for sure.

So OP, if you want to swim, look for community pools, friends with pools, hotels with outdoor pools (rent a room for a nice weekend), etc.

No, I never won the lottery. My dad did. He won $250K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement