Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 10:34 AM

17,602 posts, read 39,335,448 times

Advertisements

These "meals" are worse than the cheapest quality TV dinner you can buy. Part of the problem is the long microwave times which cause frozen things to be watery and the "mystery meat" to be rubbery. I am letting my husband choke them down for his lunch - lol. I told him I am fine with throwing them out, but he seems to want to eat them (although he isn't really enjoying them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 10:46 AM

131,675 posts, read 12,325,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
These "meals" are worse than the cheapest quality TV dinner you can buy. Part of the problem is the long microwave times which cause frozen things to be watery and the "mystery meat" to be rubbery. I am letting my husband choke them down for his lunch - lol. I told him I am fine with throwing them out, but he seems to want to eat them (although he isn't really enjoying them)

Glad they are not going to be wasted.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:06 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,262,032 times
Quote:
Thanks, Parnassia. Actually, I went ahead and called them and they are bringing out a box of 14 frozen prepared meals to me tomorrow. Yes, this is through My Advantage plan. I was surprised, but I figure if they aren't good I don't have to eat them.
I assume you have to have some sort of verification from a doctor that you can't prepare meals (not that very many people actually cook from scratch anymore) to qualify for it? Interesting... Someone could go buy you some frozen dinners at the grocery, and that would amount to the same thing (you still have to be able to get to the microwave to zap them). Anyone over 60 can get Meals on Wheels, I believe (no medical condition needed). Or you could order meals through Uber Eats or Door Dash. I also see "meal trains" posted occasionally. But hey, if my Medicare Advantage plan offered it for free, I'd take it, too!

Old 11-05-2022, 03:12 PM

19,782 posts, read 10,228,069 times
Those meals are nasty. The vegetables are cooked to mush. The meat has a weird taste and consistency.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:16 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,262,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Those meals are nasty. The vegetables are cooked to mush. The meat has a weird taste and consistency.
Where and by whom are they manufactured, or is it local to each city? Who dispenses or delivers it? Speaking of "mystery meat," this benefit is a mystery to me!

Old 11-05-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I told my husband tonight we are throwing them out. I don't want him eating that stuff. Tastes like it was concocted by Bill Gates or some other "mad scientist." There is a reason you can't really find out much about them on the internet. There are (sadly) probably some older folks who are poor and can't do for themselves who are ok with these, but we are independent and while not wealthy can afford to eat well. My husband helps me prefer simple meals or we get takeout. This crap nourishes no one; although they did include small juice cartons, which are oK

This is stuff no one would even feed to their dog.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:51 PM

19,782 posts, read 10,228,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Where and by whom are they manufactured, or is it local to each city? Who dispenses or delivers it? Speaking of "mystery meat," this benefit is a mystery to me!
The ones here are cooked locally. The meat does not taste like meat. Volunteers deliver it.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:56 PM

12,067 posts, read 10,348,906 times
Quote:
I told my husband tonight we are throwing them out. I don't want him eating that stuff. Tastes like it was concocted by Bill Gates or some other "mad scientist." There is a reason you can't really find out much about them on the internet. There are (sadly) probably some older folks who are poor and can't do for themselves who are ok with these, but we are independent and while not wealthy can afford to eat well. My husband helps me prefer simple meals or we get takeout. This crap nourishes no one; although they did include small juice cartons, which are oK

This is stuff no one would even feed to their dog.
well much older folks lose their sense of taste - the last to go is sweetness.

And like I posted - most foods that are "good" for you might be bland.

What kind of take out will you be getting. Did your doctors tell you to change your diet???

Old 11-05-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
well much older folks lose their sense of taste - the last to go is sweetness.

And like I posted - most foods that are "good" for you might be bland.

What kind of take out will you be getting. Did your doctors tell you to change your diet???
I know what I can eat. And it won't be this sh*t.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:26 PM

746 posts, read 506,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I assume you have to have some sort of verification from a doctor that you can't prepare meals (not that very many people actually cook from scratch anymore) to qualify for it? Interesting... Someone could go buy you some frozen dinners at the grocery, and that would amount to the same thing (you still have to be able to get to the microwave to zap them). Anyone over 60 can get Meals on Wheels, I believe (no medical condition needed). Or you could order meals through Uber Eats or Door Dash. I also see "meal trains" posted occasionally. But hey, if my Medicare Advantage plan offered it for free, I'd take it, too!
These are medically tailored meals for whatever health issue they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement