Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 03:48 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
43% of those who responded in another thread here live on more than 60k

https://www.city-data.com/forum/econ...onthly-11.html
And 63% responded that they live on 60k or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 03:51 PM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And 63% responded that they live on 60k or less.
Exactly …

So when the question is do any seniors need more then 60k to live on ,the answer is absolutely

Old 12-04-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Exactly …

So when the question is do any seniors need more then 60k to live on ,the answer is absolutely
Of course some do. And many do just fine, better than fine, on less. Location and owing one's home are the two most important factors.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course some do. And many do just fine, better than fine, on less. Location and owing one's home are the two most important factors.
Who lives on less wasn’t the question .so not sure why you are replying with these answers to me

The question was do seniors need more than 60k to pay the bills ..

My answer is absolutely, 43% said they need more .

I didn’t see anyone say others can’t live on less .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Are seniors still having difficulties getting the bills paid on $60,000?

Old 12-04-2022, 05:42 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
$60k doesn't cut it even if you own your home outright. This has nothing to do with renting and LL.

You missed the point about the impact of real estate taxes in NY. Even if your house is fully paid off, you still have to pay the mind-numbing property taxes, which are among the highest in the nation.

Many people are paying $12k - $20k in property taxes in NY (and NJ).

Add on the state income taxes, if your income is $60k, you pay an additional $7k - $8k of income tax. At $100k of income, you pay $15k to the state.

So, we started with $60k. We subtract about $7k for FIT, $15k for RE taxes, and $7k for state income taxes. That leaves you with about half your gross income. And you haven't bought anything or eaten anything yet. You haven't insured your home or auto (deduct about another $4k here) or signed up for health insurance.
I'll just say that $15k in real estate taxes in NY can be very, very high and unusual based on where you live, particularly when we start talking about the average homeowner. My parents have paid nothing close to that in NYC, where the effective property tax rate is .88%. This is considerably lower than the state average of 1.72%, but even if you're outside of NYC the average homeowner pays $3,749 a year in property taxes: https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn...taxes-by-state

And then, at least in NYC, there are so many exemptions and credits based on income that assessed property taxes and exempt (actual) property taxes can take on very different meanings. The city has a fair market value of my parents' house in Brooklyn at over $1.5 million dollars. Based on this assessed value, the property taxes should be roughly $6,300 a year. With the BASIC STAR exemption, the actual property tax for last year as an example was less than $1,500.

Here's some additional information on STAR exemptions in NYC: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...ligibility.htm

Now, if you're in NYC and have a salary that puts you outside of the STAR exemption categories ($500,000 or less for the STAR credit and $250,000 or less for the STAR exemption . . . note there is also ENHANCED STAR for people 65 years of age and older), then you're going to be paying significantly more than what my parents do if in a similar situation otherwise. But that's not most people's reality.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Who lives on less wasn’t the question .so not sure why you are replying with these answers to me

The question was do seniors need more than 60k to pay the bills ..

My answer is absolutely, 43% said they need more .

I didn’t see anyone say others can’t live on less .
Whatever.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:53 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It was a long time coming. The last time I saw CD rates at 5% was in 2006. After 2008 they went down to practically 0 until now. The Fed is slowly raising them. Right now nearly all the major banks have them at 3-4%. Projections are that at the next Fed meetings in Dec, Feb and March they will raise them another 1.5%. That means a senior with a million dollars in savings could be reaping $40-50,000 in interest by the end of the first quarter in 2023. That amount of interest along with SS could mean a senior would not have to draw down their savings in order to get the bills paid if their needs fall within those perimeters. They could free themselves from the uncertainty of the stock market. My principle had been steadily eroding from 2008 onward. Now that has been halted and I can actually see it start to rise again. The banks advertising 4% are easy to find. Just google "Best CD rates" and plenty will pop up. Good luck.
If your principal has been eroding since 2008, you must be in the wrong investments. I would assess your risk tolerance and invest accordingly.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'll just say that $15k in real estate taxes in NY can be very, very high and unusual based on where you live, particularly when we start talking about the average homeowner. My parents have paid nothing close to that in NYC, where the effective property tax rate is .88%. This is considerably lower than the state average of 1.72%, but even if you're outside of NYC the average homeowner pays $3,749 a year in property taxes: https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn...taxes-by-state

And then, at least in NYC, there are so many exemptions and credits based on income that assessed property taxes and exempt (actual) property taxes can take on very different meanings. The city has a fair market value of my parents' house in Brooklyn at over $1.5 million dollars. Based on this assessed value, the property taxes should be roughly $6,300 a year. With the BASIC STAR exemption, the actual property tax for last year as an example was less than $1,500.

Here's some additional information on STAR exemptions in NYC: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...ligibility.htm

Now, if you're in NYC and have a salary that puts you outside of the STAR exemption categories ($500,000 or less for the STAR credit and $250,000 or less for the STAR exemption . . . note there is also ENHANCED STAR for people 65 years of age and older), then you're going to be paying significantly more than what my parents do if in a similar situation otherwise. But that's not most people's reality.
Nyc is cheaper than Long Island or westchester as far as real estate taxes but instead nyc has a personal income tax on top of the state taxes .

I can tell you taxes on the 2 bedroom apartment we were going to buy in westchester were 9k a year .

Taxes on Our old house in queens which is 1800 sq ft is now 7k. That house is worth 900k.

My son in ryebrook ny pays 31k on a house worth 1.2 million.

Our first house in Long Island is 15k taxes

Old 12-04-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Here's a snapshot of the NYC property tax breakdown (there's apparently some other formula used for market value property taxes, too, as the assessed market value number is still significantly less than .88%.
Attached Thumbnails
High Interest Rates @ 4% for senior's savings-brooklyn-numbers.png  

Old 12-04-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Nyc is cheaper than Long Island or westchester as far as real estate taxes but instead nyc has a personal income tax on top of the state taxes .

I can tell you taxes on the 2 bedroom apartment we were going to buy in westchester were 9k a year .

Taxes on Our old house in queens which is 1800 sq ft is now 7k. That house is worth 900k.

My son in ryebrook ny pays 31k on a house worth 1.2 million
True. My point is that NYS is big and diverse when it comes to tax law, so folks who earn a certain amount while having a paid off house can certainly make it work with $60k a year, though I can appreciate that this isn't the case for everyone. And, considering that this is the retirement forum, while it is key to note that NYC has an income tax, I'm tracking that NY doesn't tax social security income and that retirement accounts/private pensions are deductible up to $20k. Also tracking that NY doesn't tax pension income period if the source of the pension is NY state or local government. The vast majority of New Yorkers live in jurisdictions with property taxes considerably lower than Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement