Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 07:23 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The max shows as

There are two types of STAR benefits depending on household income:
Basic STAR is for homeowners whose total household income is $500,000 or less. The benefit is estimated to be a $293 tax reduction.

Enhanced STAR is for homeowners 65 and older whose total household income for all owners and spouses who live with them is $92,000 or less. The benefit is estimated to be a $650 tax reduction.
If you’re eligible for the STAR credit, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings.

The senior program which is larger is capped at 58,400 in total income for a household .

many homeowners are likely higher as you said yourself , the median is under 70k not 60k

That can provide a bigger reduction but it only helps if you are below that as a household income.

Wouldn’t help us in the least
I can only refer you back to the much more significant STAR exemption savings that my parents receive each year (see post 29). They aren't 65 yet and their total household income is less than $200k. It's in the thousands for them, though you now make me question whether something else is going on as the reduction is very significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 07:25 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can only refer you back to the much more significant STAR exemption savings that my parents receive each year. They aren't 65 yet and their total household income is less than $200k. It's in the thousands for them.
They have to be below 58,400 to get the senior reduction .

Or the star rebates are only a few hundred .

No one can say what your parents situation is but it appears it isn’t star.

We got the star rebate when I had the house , it was a few hundred

Old 12-05-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
They have to be below 58,400 to get the senior reduction .

Or the star rebates are only a few hundred .

No one can say what your parents situation is but it appears it isn’t star
The website explicitly says STAR exemption when noting the reduced rate of $1,440 so I'm not sure. Regardless of what it is, my parents aren't alone in receiving the benefits that they do. Many people who are longtime homeowners and bought when homes were much cheaper and are not raking it in income wise would be out on the streets if they had to pay the assessed market property tax amount. Scores of properties throughout Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, Prospect Heights, etc., are owned by people making far less than what newcomers to the area are earning, yet they are paying significantly less in property taxes on their million dollar plus properties than the market rate would indicate.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:30 AM

Well I can tell you this , if we bought again , we get basic star which is a few hundred at best out of 9k a year in real estate taxes .

All that counts is one’s own personal situation

Old 12-05-2022, 07:33 AM

I agree. And I'd advise newcomers wanting to retire in NYC to look elsewhere if they don't have a certain baseline in funds available to them. If you aren't locked into earlier/lower mortgage amounts, you need some serious money to make it work today.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:38 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times
I have Basic Star, my tax reduction is $1,000, my realtor friend in NJ couldn't believe my property taxes on a NYC suburban two family home is less than some small condos in NJ.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I have Basic Star, my tax reduction is $1,000, my friend in NJ couldn't believe my NY property taxes on a NYC suburban two family home is less than some small condos in NJ.
Yeah, I get what Mathjak is saying about the sub $300 savings as that's what the website says the average savings are, but there seems to be some other formula at play as well for many that maybe folks got grandfathered into

Old 12-05-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yeah, I get what Mathjak is saying about the sub $300 savings as that's what the website says the average savings are, but there seems to be some other formula at play as well for many that maybe folks got grandfathered into
It could be based on valuations not brought up to date … or they may not update you until sold , who knows how they do it , but it meant little to us in any savings and that’s all that counts

Old 12-05-2022, 07:53 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
9k taxes on a 2 bedroom apartment, imagine that

9k taxes is what we're paying on the Silicon Valley house. Scottsdale place is less.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:43 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Are you not aware that your money is insured against theft by the brokerage? Your money is as safe from theft or failure of a brokerage as it is from theft or failure of a bank. Cash in either a bank or a brokerage is insured up to $250k. The FDIC insures your money in a bank and the SIPC insures your money in a brokerage account.

Yes, I am aware that my account is insured by the SIPC. This is a private organization run by the consortium of brokerages though, it's not exactly like the FDIC even though their actions are similar. Call me paranoid and I am but what i fear is that with an amount like $250K they may decide, "Well, Mr. Thrillobyte, we feel that the reason your money disappeared was not due to any theft on the part of an agent or institution but to your recklessness in handling your online activities. You most likely gave your log-in info to someone you trusted and they absconded with your funds. Therefore we are not obligated to replace the funds. Thank you."

These organizations (not FDIC) don't operate much differently from private insurance co's IMO because they're fine until something happens and they are on the hook for having to pay out and then they try to find every excuse under the sun for not having to pay out. That may not be the case, but from what I've seen it's the likeliest scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement