Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 08:36 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

It was a long time coming. The last time I saw CD rates at 5% was in 2006. After 2008 they went down to practically 0 until now. The Fed is slowly raising them. Right now nearly all the major banks have them at 3-4%. Projections are that at the next Fed meetings in Dec, Feb and March they will raise them another 1.5%. That means a senior with a million dollars in savings could be reaping $40-50,000 in interest by the end of the first quarter in 2023. That amount of interest along with SS could mean a senior would not have to draw down their savings in order to get the bills paid if their needs fall within those perimeters. They could free themselves from the uncertainty of the stock market. My principle had been steadily eroding from 2008 onward. Now that has been halted and I can actually see it start to rise again. The banks advertising 4% are easy to find. Just google "Best CD rates" and plenty will pop up. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 08:54 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
They are already coming down as bond rates fall …

4-5% rates in 8% inflation is setting us behind zero rates and 1-2% inflation

Old 12-04-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They are already coming down as bond rates fall …

4-5% rates in 8% inflation is setting us behind zero rates and 1-2% inflation

On paper you're correct, jak. But many seniors don't have house payments so cost of habitation is not a concern. My wife and I eat well and don't go without, even though our organic food choices cost-wise are higher than they were pre-pandemic. We live comfortably on my interest payments--FINALLY--along with my SS. The income totals around $60K annually and gets all our expenses paid. We don't feel this 2% gap and of course each family's situation is different, but I think $50K plus SS would be enough for most seniors to live comfortably on. Or am I wrong? Are seniors still having difficulties getting the bills paid on $60,000?

Old 12-04-2022, 10:00 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I've got a bunch of CDs that I bought in the past 6 weeks that are between 4.5 and 4.8 percent per year for 18 months or 2 years. I buy them through my Charles Schwab brokerage account as new issue and there is no commission or fee to buy. Sure, it is less than inflation but I'll gladly take close to 5 percent for a guaranteed interest rate and no loss on the original amount as long as I hold it for the full term.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:10 AM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
On paper you're correct, jak. But many seniors don't have house payments so cost of habitation is not a concern. My wife and I eat well and don't go without, even though our organic food choices cost-wise are higher than they were pre-pandemic. We live comfortably on my interest payments--FINALLY--along with my SS. The income totals around $60K annually and gets all our expenses paid. We don't feel this 2% gap and of course each family's situation is different, but I think $50K plus SS would be enough for most seniors to live comfortably on. Or am I wrong? Are seniors still having difficulties getting the bills paid on $60,000?
One thing the talking heads miss is the ability for seniors to cut costs. With Covid got used to not traveling so much. So the tank of gas may last 2 weeks instead of one. Just not driving as much. So transportation & housing could be a lot less than they were working.

As for grocery you may also have ability to but store brand vrs names & other ways to cut costs or make substitutes.

Maybe cut that $60,000 to $5000/month. May depend in a "bad" year for health expense to hit that level if not covered by Medicare & your Medigap + prescription drug coverage. In a "good" year only have the premiums to pay. May be once in a decade to have that "bad" year. May be once in 20 years for "terrible" year.

In sum each family's situation would be different depending on the cost of living, taxes, in your state.

May also depend on a lifetime of saving habit. If you were saving $1000/month for retirement maybe save same amount now for other goals. Then as senior find perks & discounts to take advantage of.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:33 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
COL varies widely so you can’t generalize as to what yearly income is enough. Plus people’s tastes vary greatly and some people can’t imagine having fun unless they are spending large sums of money.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:04 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
60k would be a miserable life in nyc . We run 2 to 3x that

60k qualifies you for a low income housing project …

Just rent , Medicare and supplement and long term care insurance would eat most of that up for us . We are not in manhattan either , where rent alone is 60k a year and apartments that are coop or condo are a million or more to buy

Taxes in the tristate area can eat up 12-20k on a paid off home .. more desirable areas can run way more …nyc has an income tax so taxes are lower on real estate …Long Island , westchester , New Jersey can be much more in real estate taxes since most dont have a local income tax just state and federal

Never guess what others need

New Jersey , New York and Connecticut would be tough to live on 60k as a couple unless you were in a less then diserable area or lived a very low end life

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-04-2022 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-04-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've got a bunch of CDs that I bought in the past 6 weeks that are between 4.5 and 4.8 percent per year for 18 months or 2 years. I buy them through my Charles Schwab brokerage account as new issue and there is no commission or fee to buy. Sure, it is less than inflation but I'll gladly take close to 5 percent for a guaranteed interest rate and no loss on the original amount as long as I hold it for the full term.

I'd love to get the brokered CD's because of the higher interest rate but the fact the broker cannot hand me a certificate at the time he draws the money out of the brokerage account (the CD has to "settle" for several days before any proof of purchase is issued by the bank offering the CD) goes against all my rules for absolute proof of CD issue to me, because I buy the CD's for$250K at a time and I don't want a broker having access to that money--too much theft going around in brokerages. You're fortunate you have a broker you can trust.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Maybe cut that $60,000 to $5000/month.

I forgot to say that $60,000 is annual which works out to $5k a month for our expenses.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
60k would be a miserable life in nyc . We run 2 to 3x that

60k qualifies you for a low income housing project …

Just rent , Medicare and supplement and long term care insurance would eat most of that up for us . We are not in manhattan either , where rent alone is 60k a year and apartments that are coop or condo are a million or more to buy

Taxes in the tristate area can eat up 12-20k on a paid off home .. more desirable areas can run way more …nyc has an income tax so taxes are lower on real estate …Long Island , westchester , New Jersey can be much more in real estate taxes since most dont have a local income tax just state and federal

Never guess what others need

New Jersey , New York and Connecticut would be tough to live on 60k as a couple unless you were in a less then diserable area or lived a very low end life

We live in a suburb of Los Angeles which is fairly high scale but we order all our things off Amazon including food so it can be delivered to us--we haven't stepped into a Whole Foods for 9 months. Our groceries run about $1k/mo for 2. Add another $1k. mo. for miscellaneous and then another $1k/mo for utilities and we are barely at $36k and still lots of wiggle room. No rent--we own. But if a person is in NYC or thereabouts and renting then you're right--$60K annually just won't cut it when the LL is raising his rents by $1k ever six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement