Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 06:02 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Meh. Unless you are self-employed or work on commission pretty much everyone's income is "fixed" at a given moment.
Please tell OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 06:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please tell OP.
Why, pray tell?

Old 02-06-2024, 07:40 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times
Did the deceased husband have a will? If he owned house B, where your friend lives now, did he leave it to her in the will?

If no will, your state has rules concerning who would inherit assets. Was the deceased husband’s estate never settled or gone through probate? Somebody besides the dead MIL and deceased husband has to own the house now unless the estate is still being settled.

It’s quite shocking that no wills/plans were made for the future by these folks with a complicated real estate situation and a disabled adult child. Now your friend is left high and dry and has no backbone to protect herself.

If she won’t even get advice from an knowledgable lawyer, you can’t do much (besides not giving her money). Cheating and committing fraud to get Medicaid is a very, very bad idea. The learning disabled adult child sounds like the most responsible member of the family.

Last edited by shamrock4; 02-06-2024 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 04:51 AM

880 posts, read 764,489 times
Since the wife legally owns house 1, she can change her will. Child 1 doesn’t have to inherit it.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Child 2 wouldn't stand a chance against ruthless Child 1. And no, my friend doesn't have a will.
My first thought was she better have a will. This is going to get even uglier without the will.

Justice says she does a will and leaves it all to child 2 but we know nothing will be done and it'll be a huge mess.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 6,165,173 times
I tried to get a recalcitrant old aunt to create a will.

She was having none of that.

She placed POD on every account and asset that was permissible and co-titled the other assets.

She died.

It worked.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Did the deceased husband have a will? If he owned house B, where your friend lives now, did he leave it to her in the will?

If no will, your state has rules concerning who would inherit assets. Was the deceased husband’s estate never settled or gone through probate? Somebody besides the dead MIL and deceased husband has to own the house now unless the estate is still being settled.

It’s quite shocking that no wills/plans were made for the future by these folks with a complicated real estate situation and a disabled adult child. Now your friend is left high and dry and has no backbone to protect herself.

If she won’t even get advice from an knowledgable lawyer, you can’t do much (besides not giving her money). Cheating and committing fraud to get Medicaid is a very, very bad idea. The learning disabled adult child sounds like the most responsible member of the family.
No, no will.

She had no idea the MIL's house had been deeded to her husband alone (in fact, I'm the one who looked it up and showed her) and doesn't seem to know or care what will happen to it now. She has "a room" in what is now considered Child 2's house. She's not planning on going through probate. I assume she, as the spouse, will inherit it unless the husband, also unbeknowst to her, arranged to have just Child 2 inherit it. I'm watching the PVA site to see if this happens.

She's also not computer-literate.

Is it true that the mortgage, which my friend and her husband were previously paying and now Child 2 is paying, could still be in the now-long-deceased MIL's name? That seems strange, since the husband technically owned the house.

She doesn't even have the money to go out to lunch now, but no; I'm not giving her any.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:02 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Having learned the hard way, my advice is to back off. Be her friend, not her financial advisor.
Not your circus, not your monkeys.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Having learned the hard way, my advice is to back off. Be her friend, not her financial advisor.
Not your circus, not your monkeys.
I agree. I'm still interested in the situation and its outcome. And if I get wind that she's applying for Medicaid and possibly not disclosing House A, I'll probably do something about it.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Meh. Unless you are self-employed or work on commission pretty much everyone's income is "fixed" at a given moment.
I never understood the term "fixed income" for retirees.

I would say when I was working my income was more fixed. I already worked a lot of hours, so getting a 2nd job wasn't really feasible.

In retirement I can always go get a job if I want to increase our income.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement