Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You seem to agree with our mother ship

2008 cost of living index in Columbus: 82.1 http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Ohio.html

2008 cost of living index in Sacramento: 98.3 (near average, U.S. average is 100) http://www.city-data.com/city/Sacram...alifornia.html
I just looked up Bethesda, MD.

131.9!!

I knew that this was an expensive place to live. But, wow!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bethesda-Maryland.html

I should do quite well when I retire in 18 months and move to Las Vegas.

It is only 93.4.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Las-Vegas-Nevada.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,914 times
One thing that needs to be considered before you moved to a small town after retirement is the availability of medical care. Small towns don't always have good medical facilities. It's fine is there is a bigger city close by. When you reach retirement age, you tend to have more health problems. We moved to a small town when we retired, so I speak from experience. We have now moved back closer to a larger city.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
So Newtoca, would you do it all over again? If not, what would you change? We have between 9 1/2 and just under 12 years until we make our mmove from just north of Cincinnati, Ohio to Eastport, Maine.
I have to split your question into two answers, but it will make sense (or so I hope).

Those who have participated in prior discussions with me the past few years know that we have a mentally handicapped adult daughter, and our relocation to California was the result of a long and exhaustive search (and research) to find a place with a program that would be appropriate for her to have a constructive life despite her very limited capabilities. We actually had settled on Minneapolis, but just before I retired they significantly revised their day training program for folks not yet into the system, and the program was no longer appropriate for us. With this falling through, we considered areas that still had good programs, and had Poughkeepsie, NY, Providence, RI and Burlington, VT as possible alternatives to Sacramento, CA. Ultimately, Sacramento was where we chose to move.

Now, absent this issue, as if I didn't need or choose to accommodate this problem, I would have stayed in Ohio. I had an opportunity to transfer to Cleveland from Columbus a little over a year before I retired, and absent any other family needs I would have accepted the offer and worked my final couple of years in Cleveland and stayed there in retirement. I was pretty well connected in Cleveland too, many of my friends and associates were located in greater Cleveland. My wife and I really like the area, especially some of the closer western suburban areas.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Thanks, newtoca.. my heart goes out to you. Are you planning on moving back to Cleveland?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Thanks, newtoca.. my heart goes out to you. Are you planning on moving back to Cleveland?
Nope, I had to give that up to establish a long term program for my daughter. It was just a trade off we had/decided to make.

So we will remain in Sacramento.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I have to split your question into two answers, but it will make sense (or so I hope).

Those who have participated in prior discussions with me the past few years know that we have a mentally handicapped adult daughter, and our relocation to California was the result of a long and exhaustive search (and research) to find a place with a program that would be appropriate for her to have a constructive life despite her very limited capabilities. We actually had settled on Minneapolis, but just before I retired they significantly revised their day training program for folks not yet into the system, and the program was no longer appropriate for us. With this falling through, we considered areas that still had good programs, and had Poughkeepsie, NY, Providence, RI and Burlington, VT as possible alternatives to Sacramento, CA. Ultimately, Sacramento was where we chose to move.

Now, absent this issue, as if I didn't need or choose to accommodate this problem, I would have stayed in Ohio. I had an opportunity to transfer to Cleveland from Columbus a little over a year before I retired, and absent any other family needs I would have accepted the offer and worked my final couple of years in Cleveland and stayed there in retirement. I was pretty well connected in Cleveland too, many of my friends and associates were located in greater Cleveland. My wife and I really like the area, especially some of the closer western suburban areas.
I hear from a CA sister that Sacramento and the rest of the state are going through really hard times. What is happening in your area in terms of housing and jobs, and is there any sign of recovery?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I hear from a CA sister that Sacramento and the rest of the state are going through really hard times. What is happening in your area in terms of housing and jobs, and is there any sign of recovery?
Unemployment in greater Sacramento is about 12%, with most of the state workers (who are not part of the unemployment figure) getting about a 15% pay cut for the next year via furloughs. Housing prices are down about 40% over the past three years, but seem to be stabilizing now. My guess is the local economy has hit bottom, and likely will begin to recover during the next 12-18 months.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Unemployment in greater Sacramento is about 12%, with most of the state workers (who are not part of the unemployment figure) getting about a 15% pay cut for the next year via furloughs. Housing prices are down about 40% over the past three years, but seem to be stabilizing now. My guess is the local economy has hit bottom, and likely will begin to recover during the next 12-18 months.
Let's hope.

Maybe those who've lost their jobs can find something again soon. This situation cannot go on forever. Best wishes to California!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:12 PM

384 posts, read 990,455 times
Just caught up with this thread - great coupon links a few pages back - thanks!

My computer is getting fixed ... and I'm missing my city-data fix!

Here's the frugalist tip I've heard yet - a friend uses only six inches of dental floss at a time by holding the floss container in one hand while flossing his teeth. He is supremely irritated that floss use to come in 300 yd containors ... then 227 ... now 57 yds... but the price has not been reduced.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Just caught up with this thread - great coupon links a few pages back - thanks!

My computer is getting fixed ... and I'm missing my city-data fix!

Here's the frugalist tip I've heard yet - a friend uses only six inches of dental floss at a time by holding the floss container in one hand while flossing his teeth. He is supremely irritated that floss use to come in 300 yd containors ... then 227 ... now 57 yds... but the price has not been reduced.
I guess he's retiring on a dental thread/lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement