Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 02:16 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times

Advertisements

[quote=brightdoglover;11536216]Boulder on a shoestring? Sure would like to know how that could be!...QUOTE]

No, you cannot live in Boulder and maintain a extravagant lifestyle on a shoestring budget. However, you can live in Boulder and have less expenses because you can easily live without a car. Would it make up for the differences in housing??? Perhaps, yes. That is the reason, why I mentioned it as a option because of good public transit, as a College town. I lived in NYC and it was more expensive than Boulder and many people gained some economic advantage by not owning a car.

There are many other areas, nearby Boulder, that you can live and still enjoy some of the amenities of Boulder. There is Longmont. I think that is good choice because it has a nice older area and good public transit with frequent connections to Boulder and Denver. Longmont is a normal little town and is not skewed by the economic and cultural extremes that are caused by a big university. You can easily live much cheaper in Longmont. It is much quieter than Boulder. Also, you are much closer the outstanding areas of Loveland/Fort Collins, which have garnered a number of mentions as a great place to live. There is also Louisville and Lafayette which also have some nice older dense areas and provide good bus service and are close to Boulder.

I did live in Boulder, 30 years ago. But today, I am not attracted to that city. I prefer the more sedate, quiet comfortable environment of being in a close in Denver suburbs. I live in Arvada which has good public transit, easy access to Denver and even Boulder. The older Western Suburbs of Denver: Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood are to me the best. You have a little of the old and a little of the new; you have good walkable neighborhoods and the area has more natives and long term Colorado Residents. It gives you good access to Downtown Denver and the great recreational amenities of the foothills of the Rockies.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
No, you cannot live in Boulder and maintain a extravagant lifestyle on a shoestring budget.
Well then Boulder is out for me. But the other towns you describe sound nice. I am more of a city person. I like my theater, classical concerts and the like. But if the towns you describe are close enough to Denver which I believe has those things, they may go on my relocation check-out list.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sounds great. I wonder how much it would cost to buy in for those who are "shoestringing" it. I like that it is near public transportation so I could still be able to get to a part time job if I lived there. My parents owned a co-op for nearly 20 years and it was a much better deal than a condo.
It is a rare "market rate" co-op, thus now might be a good time to buy in. (Most in MSP are 'limited equity'). I think it will be $85k - $100k share price for a one bedroom. I would expect monthly fees to be $300 - $500 due to a NICE facility w/ staffed kitchen / bus driver / security / maint. It did seem to be on the low end of monthly fees IIRC. You can choose to get a share loan for your share expense, and probably can get one with 20-30% down and 20 - 30 yr am. ($400 - $500/mo). I'm not sure if you can do a HUD 213 for individual unit, but they offer 40 yr loans on entire co-op, and the limited equity co-ops do these. Share payment is in addition to monthly fee (which includes Taxes, Maint, pro-rations for reserve fund (capital repairs + each unit can upgrade flooring and interior every 10 yrs)). The 'culture' (academic / music / arts) is superb in this co-op, (they even have a revolving art studio featuring juried contributors as well as residents) and the members are very active in community, exercise, entertainment, and co-op management. (I'm sure some are 'ushers' for nearby venues to get free attendance)

For a more affordable co-op, Check into 7500 York in Edina. It was the 'original' senior co-op in MSP ~ 1970's. It is being managed by Ebenezer (great company) and they are planning on adding a co-op skilled care center on the same campus. 7500 York - Ebenezer (http://www.fairviewebenezer.org/Housing/c_118184.asp - broken link)

Unfortunately the Co-ops are not bargains, and I think one needs to buy a 4plex and have your tenants pay your rent, or do a 'shared equity' co-op / fractional ownership with some friends of like mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well then Boulder is out for me. But the other towns you describe sound nice. I am more of a city person. I like my theater, classical concerts and the like. But if the towns you describe are close enough to Denver which I believe has those things, they may go on my relocation check-out list.
I would consider Ft Collins, as it has good arts + lower costs (for arts, housing, and staples). It has decent bus service, and is a 'green' city, so priorities to future transit. Loveland is very strong in visual arts / sculpture, and is an ez bus ride away. I know several 'normal' folks who perform with local chamber groups and theater. I really miss those opportunities in PNW. (too stanch / professional)

There are senior co-housing options in Boulder, Ft Collins, Lyons, which helps with transport and expenses, but I find them overpriced in CO, as it is a 'trendy' thing for 'professionals / academians'. I would not plan to commute in and out of Denver for cultural activities, that gets expensive and painfully slow, (and difficult in winter, especially as you age) so find a spot where you can get to your venues directly. Maybe plan 4-6 trips to Denver / yr, that will be plenty.

Another midwest city that is nice for seniors in Lincoln, NE. (certainly parts of Omaha too)

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It is a rare "market rate" co-op, thus now might be a good time to buy in. (Most in MSP are 'limited equity'). I think it will be $85k - $100k share price for a one bedroom. I would expect monthly fees to be $300 - $500 due to a NICE facility w/ staffed kitchen / bus driver / security / maint. It did seem to be on the low end of monthly fees IIRC. You can choose to get a share loan for your share expense, and probably can get one with 20-30% down and 20 - 30 yr am. ($400 - $500/mo). I'm not sure if you can do a HUD 213 for individual unit, but they offer 40 yr loans on entire co-op, and the limited equity co-ops do these. Share payment is in addition to monthly fee (which includes Taxes, Maint, pro-rations for reserve fund (capital repairs + each unit can upgrade flooring and interior every 10 yrs)). The 'culture' (academic / music / arts) is superb in this co-op, (they even have a revolving art studio featuring juried contributors as well as residents) and the members are very active in community, exercise, entertainment, and co-op management. (I'm sure some are 'ushers' for nearby venues to get free attendance)

For a more affordable co-op, Check into 7500 York in Edina. It was the 'original' senior co-op in MSP ~ 1970's. It is being managed by Ebenezer (great company) and they are planning on adding a co-op skilled care center on the same campus. 7500 York - Ebenezer (http://www.fairviewebenezer.org/Housing/c_118184.asp - broken link)

Unfortunately the Co-ops are not bargains, and I think one needs to buy a 4plex and have your tenants pay your rent, or do a 'shared equity' co-op / fractional ownership with some friends of like mind.

I would consider Ft Collins, as it has good arts + lower costs (for arts, housing, and staples). It has decent bus service, and is a 'green' city, so priorities to future transit. Loveland is very strong in visual arts / sculpture, and is an ez bus ride away. I know several 'normal' folks who perform with local chamber groups and theater. I really miss those opportunities in PNW. (too stanch / professional)

There are senior co-housing options in Boulder, Ft Collins, Lyons, which helps with transport and expenses, but I find them overpriced in CO, as it is a 'trendy' thing for 'professionals / academians'. I would not plan to commute in and out of Denver for cultural activities, that gets expensive and painfully slow, (and difficult in winter, especially as you age) so find a spot where you can get to your venues directly. Maybe plan 4-6 trips to Denver / yr, that will be plenty.

Another midwest city that is nice for seniors in Lincoln, NE. (certainly parts of Omaha too)
Great information. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:

I agree that the co-housing in Boulder is overpriced because of the trendy factor. Housing is much more reasonable in Denver and the near suburbs. I have looked at the Senior Co-housing in Boulder--it is nice, convenient but pricy. I can find much better value and great housing in Denver. I also agree if you are into the arts, and Denver is excellent, then commuting way out of Denver, too often, would not be ideal.

By why commute??? If you like urban living then Denver is a great place to live. It has so many different safe and clean neighborhoods with varied price ranges that have good public transit. If you like it dense, Denver has those type of areas; if you like it to mimic a more open suburban feel, you can find that in Denver. Denver is a very expansive city that was developed over 150 years and has many newer neighborhoods. The city is known for its extensive parks, trails and open space. Denver is also progressive in redeveloping older neighborhoods and building Transit Oriented Developments. Denver is not dying like many older cities; it is attracting new people for the vibrancy of living in a good city.

Fort Collins is definitely a great place to live. But I prefer Loveland because it is close enough to the Fort for amenities but has the serenity that Fort Collins lacks because of the the University and the students.

Yes, there are many cities along the Front Range of Colorado that offer good retirement locations. Colorado Springs is certainly a popular choice for many people. Pueblo is another city that is starting to be noticed because it has warmer temperatures. Pueblo sits in a locations called the "Banana Belt" and the topography protects the city.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-08-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times
Which Denver suburbs or areas would be less affected by Denver air pollution? I've heard the brown cloud can get bad at times.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Which Denver suburbs or areas would be less affected by Denver air pollution? I've heard the brown cloud can get bad at times.
The air quality in Denver has improved dramatically in the 31 years I have lived here. I rarely see that brown cloud which was more evident in the past. The metro area has instituted word burning restrictions, stricter car pollution controls and controls for business emissions.

Every year, the American Lung Association come out with a report "State of the Air". Here is the list for the worst cities for 2009 by the American Lung Association for Ozone | Year-Round Particle Pollution | Short-Term Particle Pollution. If you check on any of these measures, you will see that Denver is not listed in any category.

Most Polluted U.S. Cities By Year Round Particle Pollution (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2009/city-rankings/polluted-cities-particle-pollution-year.html - broken link)

Forbe's Magazine has reported recently on the state of air in the cities and Denver is not considered the worse offender.
America's Most Toxic Cities - Forbes.com

and a excerpt from Denver Business Journal
Forbes: Denver less toxic than most cities - Denver Business Journal:

And the complete list from Forbe shows Denver on the bottom part of the chart of the most toxic Cities
http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/02/tox...ies_chart.html

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-08-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The air quality in Denver has improved dramatically in the 31 years I have lived here. I rarely see that brown cloud which was more evident in the past. The metro area has instituted word burning restrictions, stricter car pollution controls and controls for business emissions.

Every year, the American Lung Association come out with a report "State of the Air". Here is the list for the worst cities for 2009 by the American Lung Association for Ozone | Year-Round Particle Pollution | Short-Term Particle Pollution. If you check on any of these measures, you will see that Denver is not listed in any category.

Most Polluted U.S. Cities By Year Round Particle Pollution (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2009/city-rankings/polluted-cities-particle-pollution-year.html - broken link)

Forbe's Magazine has reported recently on the state of air in the cities and Denver is not considered the worse offender.
America's Most Toxic Cities - Forbes.com

and a excerpt from Denver Business Journal
Forbes: Denver less ‘toxic’ than most cities - Denver Business Journal:

Livecontent
Oh my, I had crossed the Denver area off my list because I too thought that the brown cloud appeared too often. I should have researched this more. Seeing that one of my choices, Pittsburgh, is number two highest on the list makes me rethink that choice too.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
What? They still have co-ops? Here in Cape Coral FL you can get a single family home for well under $100K with 2-3 bedrooms/2 baths...garage...no association fees...and I should know since I'm a realtor here.

Quote:

Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I know several 'normal' folks who perform with local chamber groups and theater. I really miss those opportunities in PNW. (too stanch / professional)
I know exactly what you mean. In the 80's and part of the 90's one could do this in Portland too. It was great. I got to perform in plays and even did monologues without having to quit my day job. Of course I didn't get paid (except for a whooping $9.58 for being an extra in a movie that was never released) but I loved it and didn't care. Often amateurs like me were used to fill in small parts because there weren't enough real actors to do the job. I also was an audience filler too when the house was undersold.

Now one has to be or aspire to be a professional even for the smallest roles and the arena is way over crowded with those who want to make a real career of it. This is one of the way in which Portland has changed that I really miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement