Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 07:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,593,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I resent the entitlement of some of the current generation of young adults BUT they didn't get that way by themselves. Somebody spoiled them and made them think that the world owes them a living. I know a lot of adults in their 40s and younger who can't even cook their own dinner. I know people who grew up in America, were 18+, and didn't know how to use the washing machine, let alone a power tool. They'd never helped build something in the garage, they never changed the oil in a car, or even PUT oil in a car. It became a joke that they didn't like "adulting". They weren't born adult! Somehow, they arrived at age 18 totally unprepared for the world. Guess who did that to them? That's right, their parents expected nothing of them, and they "rose" to their parents' expectations. They knew nothing, because their parents taught them nothing. And people wonder why these folks still live in their parents' basement...it's because their parents never taught them to be responsible and to do the things we all take for granted. And their parents ALLOW them to live in the basement, continuing to infantilize grown women and men.
DH often tries to blame his parents for his behavior. Then I remind him: so, now you are an adult. Then, he flushes and sheepisly admits he's been remiss. Your 40+ year old friends have had twenty years to learn to be adults. They have NO EXCUSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 09:16 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,795,052 times
The oldest millenials are now buying homes and having children. But as I recall, initially, they lived an extended frat lifestyle, as if college never ended. They had that work hard, play hard mentality that can't be sustained. They'd party all night and work in open office environments with pinball and ping pong games as depicted in the We Works movie. Some of the girls wore pigtails and dressed in "poufy" skirts like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Instead of living with their parents, they lived in roommate situations mimicking dorm life. They became "hipsters." The oldest of this generation seems to have grown out of this lifestyle.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,593,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
I just came across this headline. Perhaps if you need to blame someone for your plight, you should look to politicians. I don't recall a controversy over Obama bailing out banks after the housing crisis (despite the facts that the banks made profits from it), but there's an uproar over helping students with their debt burden.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/great...H0NqLJjGwhNljm

Old 11-27-2022, 02:37 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,345,932 times
This is 9.7% of the baby boomer generation, and 19% if you count their spouses.
https://www.uswings.com/about-us-win...nam-war-facts/

Old 11-27-2022, 02:57 PM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The oldest millenials are now buying homes and having children. But as I recall, initially, they lived an extended frat lifestyle, as if college never ended. They had that work hard, play hard mentality that can't be sustained. They'd party all night and work in open office environments with pinball and ping pong games as depicted in the We Works movie. Some of the girls wore pigtails and dressed in "poufy" skirts like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Instead of living with their parents, they lived in roommate situations mimicking dorm life. They became "hipsters." The oldest of this generation seems to have grown out of this lifestyle.
The only person I ever met who dressed like Dorothy was a gay guy in his 50s who was briefly a housemate about 12 years ago.

My millennial child never behaved as you described. Neither did any of her friends that I know of. Maybe it's regional.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:16 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,795,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only person I ever met who dressed like Dorothy was a gay guy in his 50s who was briefly a housemate about 12 years ago.

My millennial child never behaved as you described. Neither did any of her friends that I know of. Maybe it's regional.
The phase kind of passed. But just a few years ago, these kids were all over trendy hipster Brooklyn. My own millenial kid didn't really act like this, but enjoyed the "spelling bee competitions" at Bryant Park, open floor plan offices with mandatory late night attendance with games, dressing kind of funky like wearing my mother's hats and jewelry. I worked with a lot of these characters too. These were bright IT types like in that We Work documentary. It was an extension of the frat lifestyle. They also volunteered at many social causes. I remember they were all over Rockaway after Sandy. Ergo the term "hipster" as opposed to "hippie." Old clothes became "vintage" and buying at thrift stores became trendy.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:33 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,342,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I had in mind a 2004 film "Garden State" whose director Zach Braff is a Gen X, and how much that film to me embodied the psychology of all Gen Xers I ever knew. In that film, and among all Gen Xers I know, having kids seems to be viewed as the single truly important & meaningful thing in life. On the contrary, I am a Boomer who does not have kids, I know a lot of Boomers without kids, and do not recall that having kids was ever a particular obsession in my generation. Maybe my sample of acquaintances is skewed?
I’m a boomer! My mom told me to never have kids. To go out and have fun. Enjoy life.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:21 AM

11,233 posts, read 9,867,421 times
I'm also a boomer, and I definitely didn't need to be told not to have kids. I made that decision by my late teens and have never regretted it.

I do see the love my friends have for their kids and the extended families they've created, but I can watch and enjoy their happiness without envy, because I also see the other side of that coin in many households where the kids end up abandoning their own children and causing grandparents to raise their own grandkids, or having adult kids with such awful drug and mental illness issues, or kids who become leeches living off their parents for life, or just ungrateful adult brats who blame the world for their shortcomings.

It will make things different for me as I age. I won't be "moving closer to be near my kids" as I get into my late 70s. Those of us without kids must make plans and keep some financial powder dry for our own dotage.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:10 PM

45,610 posts, read 61,041,044 times
Well overall not that many Boomers decided not to have kids since we spawned the largest generation ever, the Millennials.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:04 PM

13,708 posts, read 9,813,716 times
The topic of having (or not having) kids is a fascinating one! In the US, the birthrate hit a severe trough from the late 60s into the early 70s. This is why - axiomatically - Gen-X is small. It was also a particularly secular and skeptical time - all trends correlated with disinclination to reproduce. By the 1980s' "morning in America", the country experienced something of a resurgence of religion in public life, and also of optimism and maybe credulity. This correlates with a higher birth rate. Hence today we see so many people in their mid-30s, and so few in their early 50s. At least anecdotally.

Given the frictions and dislocations of recent years, we see an ever-declining birthrate, not just in the US, but in all advanced economies. It's not hard to forecast how 50 years in the future, the commentators of the day, would bemoan how the young-adults of the 2010s and 2020s failed to reproduce, resulting in a demographic disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement