Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 09:19 AM

846 posts, read 688,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its funny that it wasn't until the boomers started retiring that all the problems happened.
They didn't retire from Congress. They make up the majority of the government despite being a minority of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 11:11 AM

841 posts, read 1,124,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes people seem to forget that non-working moms tended to be on the wealthier side.
Not my family. My family lived paycheck to paycheck. My mom stayed home because we could not afford daycare (don't even know if there was a daycare in our tiny town). Once us kids were in school all day, she got a job. In retirement, my mom's social security was about $540 a month. Who can live off of that? Neither parent was college educated so no high paying jobs.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:37 AM

43,297 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes people seem to forget that non-working moms tended to be on the wealthier side.
Not during the 60's...that was normal that moms were home in blue collar neighborhoods.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,701,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not during the 60's...that was normal that moms were home in blue collar neighborhoods.
Definitely. I had only one friend as a child whose mom worked FT, and she was a teacher.

I have no idea why we boomers are blamed for all things wrong. I grew up in the 60s fairly poor (though I didnt realize it), to two parents who weren't able to finish high school (because their families needed them to work. Finishing high school was a luxury in the 40s). We grew much of our own food, I sewed my own clothes from age 9, my brothers and I got 10cents allowance a week to pay for any "extras" we wanted (which meant we would have to save for months.) Birthdays, Christmas, etc were modest occasions. Family vacation was a drive in the station wagon to visit Grandma and Grandpa. We never went to a beach or the Grand Canyon or anywhere "exciting;" we never traveled in an airplane.

I put my own self through college, working two or three part time jobs while taking classes, plus student loans. I raised my own kids to be frugal and smart. Nothing was ever "handed to them."

Through a lifetime of working hard and saving, my husband and I are now comfortably retired. Our grown kids are doing well and on track.

Don't blame this boomer for whatever your own problems are.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:03 PM

249 posts, read 126,334 times
I think that, as seems to be happening all too frequently these days, the past behaviors of an earlier generation are being judged by modern standards, rather than by the mores in place at the time. Everything is so much more complicated these days, it seems. I would not like to be young now -- too much turmoil.

Last edited by VivienL; 11-21-2022 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 05:40 PM

997 posts, read 712,531 times
The late boomers were only children and babies in the 60s. If you were born in 1958-64 (current age 64 to 58) the oldest was only 11 in 1969! All of us were teens in the 70s. Nobody was old enough to be a hippy or go to Vietnam.

I hate when they lump all the boomers together--way different generations.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:53 PM

10,362 posts, read 6,918,322 times
"OK, Boomer!"

(coming from a boomer....)

LOL

Old 11-21-2022, 10:35 PM

13,677 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
They didn't retire from Congress. They make up the majority of the government despite being a minority of the population.
While it’s uncouth to blame any particular generation, as if those prior were good and those after were good, but that particular generation is somehow execrably tainted… it still shocks me, how senior positions in both public and private sector, have come to be dominated by persons of such advanced age. Whether it is the US Congress or CEOs of major corporations, it seems that careers keep getting longer and the threshold of what it means to be “elderly” keeps getting stretched.

The same of course holds for life-expectancy and years spent in retirement. Not so very long ago, one might expect to reach the zenith of one’s career at 55, retire at 60 and die at 70. Now said zenith might not hit until 75, and death finally comes at 95. Meanwhile young people piddle around “finding themselves” until 30.

The milestones of life take longer to attain. Careers are longer. Then, our portfolios have to last longer in retirement. Everything has been stretched! This is fantastic for those who desire to live forever, but what of those, who’d prefer to quickly get in, and get out?

Old 11-22-2022, 04:05 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,591,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"OK, Boomer!"
What year were you born? I was born in '53.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:24 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Technically, I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and I can pretty much say they are the Generation of Locusts. Baby Boomers were pretty much pure id, emerging from the womb saying, "I want."
Completely agree. They have sucked this country dry. What particularly irks me is they got all this brand new "Elder housing" JUST FOR THEM. And somehow this is legal. What happened to age discrimination. I guess it is ok when it suits them.

They got the new housing when it was built in the 70s and 80s - trashed it - moved on to new places I couldn't move into and probably trashed that.

Good luck getting a doctors appointment because the boomers live at the doctor.

Every day I check the boomer death clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement