Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 09:27 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,818,670 times

Advertisements

Growing up in the 60s, a SAHM was an aberration in our neighborhood. We were very low income and all able-bodied adults worked and contributed to the budget in most households, including teens over 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 03:47 PM

16,141 posts, read 10,822,896 times
Did the Baby Boomers ruin America (for everyone else?)

No. I'm not convinced that the ones that came after us didn't screw things up. The cohort born in the last few years of the "boomers" were more in step with the ones that came later so maybe they share in the blame. They should be called the entitlement generations. After that there was a doubling-down leading to the victim generations.

The early boomers were acquainted with hardship and deprivation even if they did not experience it directly. They had parents that did. They went, mostly unwilling, to save Vietnam or stayed home and protested -- or had strong opinions and made decisions based on those perceptions. About 28% earned college degrees. They were probably the first to know that things were not as they seem in politics and the economy.

Among millennials, 39% have college degrees. Gen-X has lower numbers, more closely matches the Boomers.

The one thing that Boomers did, and all modern generations have done, is kick the can down the road on paying for things. I paid off Hoover Dam in 1987. Vietnam cost a $trillion -- maybe it is paid off. Younger folks will pay off bills for Iraq & Afghanistan. Somebody unborn will pay for that monstrous moon rocket that can't seem to take off.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:35 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,783,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Growing up in the 60s, a SAHM was an aberration in our neighborhood. We were very low income and all able-bodied adults worked and contributed to the budget in most households, including teens over 16.
Yes people seem to forget that non-working moms tended to be on the wealthier side.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:48 PM

5,337 posts, read 6,042,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes people seem to forget that non-working moms tended to be on the wealthier side.
What? I grew up in a blue-collar community. I had one neighbor, a single mother, who worked outside the home.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,078,941 times
I was not impressed with the baby boomer generation, we were quite the let down from the greatest generation.

BUT in the last five years since all the baby boomers retired, the folks that took the baby boomer jobs are pretty much incompetent.

The following are this WEEKS screw ups.

Every day, some clueless wippersnapper screws up. This week started with my blood draw, my medical prescriptions (twice!! once by the clinic and once by the pharmacy).

The county screwed up my business license. They wanted a document that they already had in their file!! Really, I need to point out the filing system to somebody to lazy to look in the ”official” documents.

My IRA fund could answer a simple question on the RMD distribution. I needed to call my baby boom accountant. My wife has spent two months with Vanguard trying to get her issue fixed....I am only on month one and thankfully I don't have Vanguard, but its not looking good.

On and on it goes. A new adventure every day due to the incompetence of the generations following the baby boomers.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:15 PM

76 posts, read 47,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
No, but a new culture of entitlement and low bail/prosecution is doing a good job of it

Old 11-17-2022, 10:45 AM

731 posts, read 772,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was not impressed with the baby boomer generation, we were quite the let down from the greatest generation.

BUT in the last five years since all the baby boomers retired, the folks that took the baby boomer jobs are pretty much incompetent.

Every day, some clueless wippersnapper screws up. This week started with my blood draw, my medical prescriptions (twice!! once by the clinic and once by the pharmacy).

The county screwed up my business license. They wanted a document that they already had in their file!! Really, I need to point out the filing system to somebody to lazy to look in the ”official” documents.

My IRA fund could answer a simple question on the RMD distribution. I needed to call my baby boom accountant. My wife has spent two months with Vanguard trying to get her issue fixed....I am only on month one and thankfully I don't have Vanguard, but its not looking good.

On and on it goes. A new adventure every day due to the incompetence of the generations following the baby boomers.
So true! Couldn't rep you again.!

Old 11-17-2022, 11:10 AM

43,372 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Quote:

Yes, I've noticed that as well and it seems to be acceptable and even expected these days.
One can only shake their head at this and double down on being discerning these days.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:50 AM

5,260 posts, read 3,627,066 times
Early Boomers & Late Boomers: two different species.

I blame the Late Boomers.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:08 PM

13,681 posts, read 9,768,823 times
Quote:
Huh? There are still plenty of Silent Generation folks still working, not to mention Boomers. Note that much of our current political leadership is Silents... born before 1946. The youngest Boomers are currently in their late 50s or early 60s... and will likely be working as a block, for another 10 years... and in smaller numbers, for another 20+ years.

What I see increasingly is that persons fortunate to be occupying the best jobs, the most stable and lucrative and rewarding jobs, see no reason to retire. Between a workaholic culture, which precludes developing a life outside of work, and improving healthcare, which enables a vigorous life well into what was formerly senescence, persons who would have long since been warming rocking-chairs, are still sitting in boardrooms.

Perhaps what you really mean, is that the menial jobs, the humdrum customer-facing jobs, have rotating over to the younger set? Then, yes. Persons in unpleasant or unprestigious jobs will leave them as soon as possible, maybe in early-retirement. But then, aren't such menial jobs, supposed to be replaced by robots anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement