Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 02:50 PM

7,181 posts, read 4,576,439 times

Advertisements

It’s silly to blame any entire generation for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,833,669 times
DH and I are boomers and are frugal almost to a fault, so we definitely aren't part of the gimme generation. Plus, we didn't have kids, so we didn't get a chance to ruin it for them, lol.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,813 times
If you want to blame someone for something, it's always easy to blame the previous generation, sure why not. Hey, let's blame the current generation, that's always fun.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:57 PM

35 posts, read 22,075 times
I don't understand the vitriol and blaming. We are just all humans trying to do the best we can. As a young "boomer" and parent of millennials, I see the stress and anxiety they operate under. Who knows why, but it is harder for young people today than it was for me and my friends, and unlike many of you hardworking, frugal living saints, my friends and I all partied, did drugs, spent money carelessly but still got ahead... Sure I grew up and worked hard (eventually) but I could easily have gone down the tubes before I did. I was lucky. Now, in my ever-so-humble opinion, we all have an obligation to address the huge challenges of our world (global warming, the ever-increasing concentration of wealth in a tiny minority of people and structural racism come to mind) so that those who follow us can also have the chance to live healthy, happy lives.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:36 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,617,719 times
Yeah, the Boomers raided the pantry. By save for a rainy day, they meant go get an unaffordable pension. Not all got them, but it's been a recurring thing seen time and time again in companies over my lifetime. How are we going to afford the pensioners? My God, the trinket industry for ridiculous sombraros will positively die if we cut the pensions.... But hey, they got equality moving so fiscal bankruptcy should be forgiven right?

I used to get pissed about it. Then I realized the Boomers were just riding the high tide of labor strength in the US. It's the not values, or choices or work ethics. It's manufacturing competing against a bombed out world....and like all groups, there's a group of bastards that moved the country in ways we'd likely change if we could. Sure, I can hide behind the numbers games, but our little GenX wouldn't have done better. Plenty morons here too.

Now the millenials are going to save/disrupt us all. If that doesn't make you religious, I have no idea what would. Gen Z looks promising though.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,782,975 times
Boomers did not invent pensions. Pensions were a standard fixture, with many conditions and requirements, in most industries or sometimes provided by labor unions. it was common for workers to be employed with the same company for decades. With the war on unions the reliability of those pension plans came into question. When corporations had to balance pension plans against CEO compensation and benefits to investers, the workers were thrown under the bus along with the pension plans. Baby Boomers had nothing to do with that, either.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 AM

30,471 posts, read 19,236,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
America is not ruined but it's in the process of being ruined by the generations following the baby Boomers unless they change course.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:04 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
Why did anyone revive this ten year old thread that was pointless blaming anyway?

Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,085,939 times
The reviver was a participant in the thread 10 years ago, and pretty much agreed with blaming Boomers for the crash of 2008. Much of the thread was “wait and see what happens in 5-10 years, the changes will be obvious”, which of course, never happened. As every generation gets older, they take on more of the traits and values of the previous older generation. The constant is that no younger generation ever learns that. They all think they are different and will make the world better. THEY will accomplish what the previous couldn’t. Yawn.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:59 AM

35,103 posts, read 31,373,524 times
They've had a lot of issues and contributed to a lot of problems, but the problems are systemic and go back further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement