Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of the public debt problem falls at the feet of the Republicans for waging a guns and butter fiscal policy over the last 30 years. In order to get the expansion of the Pentagon budget that they wanted, they had to simultaneously get tax cuts and domestic spending up to keep the people fat and happy. None of all this was paid for.
You would be correct if you substituted the word "Politicians" for Republicans.
Precious few from either party are innocent. If you honestly believe that the "Republicans were the problem and the current "leaders" are the solution, you are delusional. A review of the healthcare obamination, "cap & trade", class warfare tax proposals, and the Federal deficit suggests this country is headed to hell, which is over-populated with all politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
The way boomers (collectively) thought about things seems to have caused some problems, but suggesting they ruined America is a bit far fetched. If anything they ruined things for themselves, as things stand the boomers are going to have a rancid retirement. The boomers short-sighted "me me me" policies are going to bite them in the rear, when the bills start to come due generation X, Y, Z are going to tell them to take a hike. Politically the boomer cohort is going to wane from here on out, within 5 years they are going to be noticeably out numbered.

The problem is not only political though, its social as well. I think many boomers are going to find that support from their kids to be very lacking as they age. That is what happens when you build weak family units and continuously provide little support for your kids. Personally, I'm going to enjoy stripping the boomers of their entitlements.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
[quote=user_id;11755439]The way boomers (collectively) thought about things seems to have caused some problems, but suggesting they ruined America is a bit far fetched. If anything they ruined things for themselves, as things stand the boomers are going to have a rancid retirement. The boomers short-sighted "me me me" policies are going to bite them in the rear, when the bills start to come due generation X, Y, Z are going to tell them to take a hike. Politically the boomer cohort is going to wane from here on out, within 5 years they are going to be noticeably out numbered.

The problem is not only political though, its social as well. I think many boomers are going to find that support from their kids to be very lacking as they age. That is what happens when you build weak family units and continuously provide little support for your kids. Personally, I'm going to enjoy stripping the boomers of their entitlements.[/QUOTE]

What entitlements are they? Social Security, Medicare, and Veteran's benefits? Those are the same 'entitlements' our parents had.

You sound like you came from a disfunctional family, but not everyone had your experience.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

175 posts, read 468,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The way boomers (collectively) thought about things seems to have caused some problems, but suggesting they ruined America is a bit far fetched. If anything they ruined things for themselves, as things stand the boomers are going to have a rancid retirement. The boomers short-sighted "me me me" policies are going to bite them in the rear, when the bills start to come due generation X, Y, Z are going to tell them to take a hike. Politically the boomer cohort is going to wane from here on out, within 5 years they are going to be noticeably out numbered.

The problem is not only political though, its social as well. I think many boomers are going to find that support from their kids to be very lacking as they age. That is what happens when you build weak family units and continuously provide little support for your kids. Personally, I'm going to enjoy stripping the boomers of their entitlements.
Very true! I also believe the chickens are coming home to roost. The Bloomers will reap what they have sown. I for one am tired of paying for all of their entitlements. They seem to think everyone owes them everything; from health care to free retirement living.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The bommers are not the one griping from waht. Its the new genration that wants others to pay for thier heathcare. Its really the rich that art5e tired of paying for so many entitlements to the point that 505 now pay no icomne tax at all. Soem even receive uneraned incoem credit. Remeber that SS invilved a lifetime of payiong the tax;the new heathcare is shifting the cost entirely to the wealthy and paying nothing for it.thsi is a pool it a entitlement at other cost. Bomers paid over their entire working lifes fo medicare and the governamnt kept shifti g other not retire on to it for support.I trhnim the bommers are goin g to be fine but its the X generation that can nopt supoprt ehmselves and want to pay nothing. Its bommers that are tired of paying them and even raising their children at alarming rates. Its obvious who is gripiong and who vited for more welfare anhd entiltemnts the last presidential election.lok at the ages breakdowns.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What entitlements are they? Social Security, Medicare, and Veteran's benefits? Those are the same 'entitlements' our parents had.
Boomer entitlements go much further than social security and medicare claims. The boomers are currently making a much larger claim on future production than is possible without major sacrifices from the generations below them. Either the boomers are going to get less than expected or Generation X, Y and Z will have to reduce their standard of living to support the boomers. At the very least Generation X will fight teeth and nail against the latter...

So what are the future claims on production? Boomer stock portfolios, real estate holdings, pensions and so on. The boomers require those below them to trade their productivity capacity for these sorts of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You sound like you came from a disfunctional family, but not everyone had your experience.
Sure not everyone had my experience, but I'm not talking about my experiences. I grew up in your typical working class family.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Boomer entitlements go much further than social security and medicare claims. The boomers are currently making a much larger claim on future production than is possible without major sacrifices from the generations below them. Either the boomers are going to get less than expected or Generation X, Y and Z will have to reduce their standard of living to support the boomers. At the very least Generation X will fight teeth and nail against the latter...

So what are the future claims on production? Boomer stock portfolios, real estate holdings, pensions and so on. The boomers require those below them to trade their productivity capacity for these sorts of things.

Sure not everyone had my experience, but I'm not talking about my experiences. I grew up in your typical working class family.

I don't see boomers wanting more. It looks like its generation x and younger who want more entitlemnts. Boomers; for example; have paid into SS and medciare for their entire working lifes at higher rates and more of them than any generation. Look at the voting demographic of the voters last election and what the younger generation voted for;more entitlements. Look at who they want to pay for it;the top ten per cent.I say that they are taking more production capacity that they haven't even produced yet or likely to in the future.They are called the entitlement generation for a reason. Even their parents agree more and more as those parents raise their grandchildren in larger and larger numbers and now their great grandchildren.T Generation X and Y needs to look in the mirror to see the culprit of their problems.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It looks like its generation x and younger who want more entitlemnts.
Any cohort is going to try and get as many entitlements as they can that is why the boomers are in for a miserable retirement! Boomers simply did not teach their kids a value system that would cause them to support their needs vs their own. Generation X and younger will stripe the Boomers of everything they can. But I don't feel bad at all, the Boomers stripped generation X and Y of everything they could! After all, who exactly is suppose to pay off the boomer deficits? Who is going to have to pay the cost of short sighted "now now now" boomer business practices? etc.

The Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y all have no real sense of duty. As a result its everyone for themselves. Perhaps Generation Z will be different, its too early to tell. But it won't matter for the boomers, Gen X and Y will do them in.

Quote:
Boomers; for example; have paid into SS and medciare for their entire working lifes at higher rates and more of them than any generation.
Boomers are scheduled to get far more out of SS and medicare than they ever paid into it. The benefits are currently too rich, either Generation X and younger are going to have to pony up extra funds (and reduce their standard of living) or the boomers are going to have to deal with reduced benefits. Which do you think is more likely? Same goes for most boomer pensions (especially government ones).

Quote:
Generation X and Y needs to look in the mirror to see the culprit of their problems.
Generation X and Y will look in no mirrors, they will stab the boomers in the back. That is the reality. The boomers can whine all they want, they can pretend to be moralistic. But it will fall on deaf ears, just as the whines and concerns of Gen X and Y were ignored by the boomers.

Its funny that you claim that Gen X does not what to support themselves, yet you believe the boomers will be "fine"?!? Who exactly is going to produce the goods/services that the boomers consume? Clearly, if Gen X (and Y) does not even want to support themselves the Boomers are in for some real trouble. How could it be otherwise? The boomers will depend on them purchasing their assets in exchange for their production!

Last edited by user_id; 11-24-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times
Quote:
.......... The boomers will depend on Gen X & Y purchasing their assets in exchange for their production!
This is starting to sound like the Eloi vs the Morlocks.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Quote:
Who exactly is going to produce the goods/services that the boomers consume? Clearly, if Gen X (and Y) does not even want to support themselves the Boomers are in for some real trouble. How could it be otherwise? The boomers will depend on them purchasing their assets in exchange for their production!
You should think about the reverse. Who is going to buy their goods and services so Gen X and Y can make a living? If you want to get nasty, the boomers can buy their goods and services from Asia, bypassing Gen X & Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement