Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times

Advertisements

Let's blame Generation Z......they haven't contributed anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am because of you. I am not because of you. What I have done and will do has no bearing on my life because of you. Is that what this thread is about? You are a Boomer it is all on you. Darn you!
Oops I mean Darn Me!

You could have been a doctor, but we became them first.
You could have become a lawyer, but we became one first.
You could have owned a home, but we owned one first.
You could have done a lot of things in your life but you are already 29 and it is to late because we did it first.

Isn't birth order just the worse thing ever?

Look around;the people that are replacing the bommers in those positions are mostly foreigners now day. Its nothig to do with birth order its to do with motivation and choices made early in life.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM

175 posts, read 468,594 times
Dr. Spock ruined the Boomers, everyone knows that.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Ruin America? are you kidding, baby boomers created all the wealth we now have in this country. We went out into the world and changed it...in just sheer numbers alone. Think about the astronomical growh in the music industry, retail/clothing industry, television, computers, travel industry, many inventions that changed the world, all from bb's. I think when I was in my 20's the stock market (which no average person invested in) was at about 100, and now look at it at 10,000. The openness about alcoholism, child abuse, race relations, etc. which was all hidden away in the generations before us. The boomers' kids inherited a great, wealthy world...of course, not without its problems. Heck, women didn't even wear pants to school until the boomer generation went to high school. Most kids don't realize the drastic changes that took place in our society from the 1960's on. Now it's up to them to carry the torch, make their own mark in our society and world.

Problem is they want everything handed to them...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
I've read several of the posts here about how baby boomer generation ruined everything, but what was the alternative? Should we have left everything to the kids? Should we have stayed in the lifestyle of the 1930's?

I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of the opportunities available. We can thank our parents for many of them. As other have said, it's up to the younger generations to make their own mark.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM

10 posts, read 57,506 times
Default Hmm...

I don't think so.

I rather see my grandparents generation as having created our tight situation for having so many children (Hey, I have 9 aunts and uncles in Medway Mass...no hard feelings), and not the babyboomers for simply existing - No one decides they're going to be born into this world, but we do decide to procreate. I hesitate to say anything is ruined though. I'm a bit of an optimist, as well as realistic. I think something will be done to deal with the oncoming crunch regarding Social Security/Healthcare demand/Etc., but it will take a bit of sacrifice from every American to correct it - including the elder generation. What will be done? Beats the hell out of me, but I don't think this country will allow itself to fail. I'm hopeful.

We'll see what happens.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
The grandparents taught the early Boomers the value of the dollar, respect for elders, love of animals, hard work, proper speech and dress. It was not unusally for both of the early Boomer parents to work to give their children a home, a television. a car and all they things the parent didn't have when they were young. These parents were so busy giving things they forgot to give their children respect for others, self-control, motivation for education and a moral standard.

Baby boomers didn't begin to ruin a thing. If you want point fingers - point it add the idiot in DC that devised new math and new english because they wanted to sell 'dumb down America' and they got by with it. .

And they reaped what they sowed. SAT scores and education from K-college has been dumbed down. Kids start learning Algebra before they can add and subtract. They use a computer but do not know the difference betwe the subject and a noun in a paragraph; there is no one to teach them. The parents don't know either. The grandparents - the boomer - is the last generation that can still do math without fingers and a computer, and write a coheerent sentence without a spell/grammar checker. And half of the modern generation are teaching their children from a very young age that is okay to use illegal drugs and have children without a marriage license. Twenty-Five years from now, they will be in Congress and I"ll be dead. And someone will be asking the same questions as the original poster.

Last edited by linicx; 10-29-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look around;the people that are replacing the bommers in those positions are mostly foreigners now day. Its nothig to do with birth order its to do with motivation and choices made early in life.
You mean not American Citizens by foreigners don't you? How can one tell they aren't citizens by looking around? Their nationality isn't really relevant as these are international corporations doing business throughout the world so their home country is within their companies sphere of operations.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,126 times
Yes, we left a legacy for our children and grandchildren which will be painful to endure. There are simply too many people wanting too many things and the foolish world followed our selfish example.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,893,748 times
I don't like to generalize a whole generation of people, but yes, they *Blew it*. ALL CAPS. Blew it badly.

-They were given everything. Cheap housing. Cheap education. Good infrastructure. No traffic/little commute times. The ability to build a family and build a life with little or no debt.

And what have they left for gen x and y after 50 years?

-Absolutely nothing!

No affordable housing.
No affordable education.
Hideous city planning which has destroyed traditional commute times.
Jobs shipped overseas, etc.

They basically powergrabbed everything 40 years ago. Me, me, me, me, me. Gobbled up every valuable asset (real estate, education, media, thought control, the ability to think and rationalize), they've left x and y with nothing. X and Y were getting into overpriced sham colleges while Clinton was under the desk with Monica in 1998. They've left a hideous and shamful legacy.

Of course they had vietnam, but every generation has had a war.

X and Y have alot of energy (and youthful enthusiasm), and optimism. Interview any 20-25 year old, they're optimistic, idealistic. But the biggest problem with this generation is their ability to think and rationalize. Look what happened with this housing bubble. X, Y didn't develop the ability to think and rationalize from highschool. So, they believe what the national assocation of realtors tells them about real estate (they aren't making any more land! You have to live somewhere).

They have a very poor ability to think outside of what the media tells them.

On top of the debt, moral decay, fraud, chicanery of the last 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement