Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Ruin America? are you kidding, baby boomers created all the wealth we now have in this country. We went out into the world and changed it...in just sheer numbers alone. Think about the astronomical growh in the music industry, retail/clothing industry, television, computers, travel industry, many inventions that changed the world, all from bb's. I think when I was in my 20's the stock market (which no average person invested in) was at about 100, and now look at it at 10,000. The openness about alcoholism, child abuse, race relations, etc. which was all hidden away in the generations before us. The boomers' kids inherited a great, wealthy world...of course, not without its problems. Heck, women didn't even wear pants to school until the boomer generation went to high school. Most kids don't realize the drastic changes that took place in our society from the 1960's on. Now it's up to them to carry the torch, make their own mark in our society and world.
Actually, that was the Greatest Generation that did that stuff. You were just parasites living off of what they brought home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:26 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
What ever.
Thank you for that enormously insightful comment. Although it does go hand-in-hand with most of your other illuminating contributions to this board.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Our government officials ruined American for everyone by transporting our good paying jobs out of the country for I am guessing their personal gain.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Our government officials ruined American for everyone by transporting our good paying jobs out of the country for I am guessing their personal gain.
Please explain the process they used to transport the jobs as a government agency and what type of compensation they received in exchange. Was this transfer all governmental or did private industry play a role in the process? Perhaps part of the problem was that the jobs were to well paying and thus not sustainable if profits were to be maintained. Is that possible?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The Bush admin ordered the gutting of financial regulators like the OTS, and the SEC, so that Wall Street could create lucrative fraud that would appear to expand the economy in the short term, whose colossal risks wouldn't be uncovered until some later date. Via interest rates, tax policy, and regulatory policy, he deliberately forced the economy to "run hot", so to speak.

I don't know where you draw the line for "conspiracy", but I'd say this is pretty close.. gaming the GLOBAL financial system for the sake of your generational cohorts, and their current and future voting power.

This is not just hindsight; much of these facts were available at the time, but as long as property owners are getting rich... hey, who cares? Theory of the Greater fool wins out.

The aforementioned "average guy" rationalized the housing bubble due to the "amazing resilience and robustness of the US economy.." or some sort of Phil Gramm-speak like that.

Well, I can tell you that 15-year olds aren't out there "running America", making laws, but they must deal with the consequences of the decisions of those who currently do.

I agree with this.

I would add, however, that when other powerful individuals of your age group have made poor decisions, people claim that "It isn't their fault."

Yet, these same people line up to take credit for positive developments of their generation, like for example the civil rights movement, or internet.

We disagree here.

If you're part of a powerful voting bloc who is defined by the birthdate of its members (and by extension, whether they own houses, or rent, whether they are in college, or about to retire, whether they have substantial medical needs, or not), then you bet your ass that the guy in power is going to pay attention to your birthdate.
It looks as though this entire rant will be a misguided effort at absolving the real villians that are digging deep in your pockets. Go ahead and scream about the Boomers, you'll get over it when we're gone and you have your shangri-la. Yes the boomers acted as one entire wave of unified movement toward all that serves in the quest for your demise. Go figure, we're your Parents and Grandparents, you know, those evil folk's who stole your future.

History will remember the upper class as the ones who inflicted all this economic damage to America, keep scowling at those who are now greying, and remember, in your world, you are setting yourself up to the same lumpen-blame as you now smear everyone over 60 with.

Lastly, how dare you lump the support for George Bush into the boomer generation, his last victory was carried by a good many young folks who couldn't tell BS from truth. you are really reaching when you jam so much responsibility for federal legislation down the throat of a generation of people who themselves have a good number of destitute members. Not every boomer had a golden chute.........

Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, that was the Greatest Generation that did that stuff. You were just parasites living off of what they brought home.
Sorry, you're a generation off. The Greatest Generation kept all those things cited in the post you quoted well hidden. Actually, I still had to wear a dress or skirt when I attended high school in the sixties. No one talked about child abuse or homosexuals or anything controversial when I was a child (born 1951).

I certainly don't consider myself a parasite; we worked for what we have and unfortunately many of us may have spoiled our children and that appears to be what you are, a spoiled child. Weren't you taught to respect your elders?

Naughty, naughty!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Please explain the process they used to transport the jobs as a government agency and what type of compensation they received in exchange. Was this transfer all governmental or did private industry play a role in the process? Perhaps part of the problem was that the jobs were to well paying and thus not sustainable if profits were to be maintained. Is that possible?
When there is a revolving door between Goldman Sachs (private industry) and the U.S. Government (FED, Treasury Department, Securities & Exchange Commission), then it is possible for the government to be doing the bidding of investment bankers, eh?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
When there is a revolving door between Goldman Sachs (private industry) and the U.S. Government (FED, Treasury Department, Securities & Exchange Commission), then it is possible for the government to be doing the bidding of investment bankers, eh?
Where else are you going to find the expertise other than practitioners within the industry? Hmmmmm? Do you really think someone with no hands on experience but having read a book is going to understand the complexities of the current financial instruments?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times
IMO the Boomers introduced the rampant Consumerism and "me first" attitude that is so prevalent in the U.S. today. While trying to keep up with the Jones' the Boomers escalated frivolous litigation, needless plastic surgery, play dates, bike helmets, car seats for 10 yr olds, paper cutter housing developments and retail strip malls. There is no longer any sense of Community in America.

The Boomer's corrupted this land with their selfishness.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
IMO the Boomers introduced the rampant Consumerism and "me first" attitude that is so prevalent in the U.S. today. While trying to keep up with the Jones' the Boomers escalated frivolous litigation, needless plastic surgery, play dates, bike helmets, car seats for 10 yr olds, paper cutter housing developments and retail strip malls. There is no longer any sense of Community in America.

The Boomer's corrupted this land with their selfishness.
Some might see them as a generation dedicated to social justice and improvement in the quality and safety of life in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement