Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM

175 posts, read 468,594 times

Advertisements

This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Technically, I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and I can pretty much say they are the Generation of Locusts. Baby Boomers were pretty much pure id, emerging from the womb saying, "I want."

Don't believe me? Just look at the wreckage they've left behind as they've moved through history, from the wreckage of public education to the dumbing down of culture, particularly in our universities. From wild expansion of the Federal government to fulfill their youthful idealistic whims through the imminent collapse of Social Security and Medicare bubble. And, of course, if you talk to a bunch of Baby Boomers, they'll get all nostalgic about the 60s as if it was some magnificent, epoch-shattering improvement to civilization. With the shining exception of the Civil Rights Era, the true point of the 60s was to prolong one's adolescence as long as possible.

When the last of the Baby Boomers are lowered into the grave, this country will probably let forth a collective sigh of relief for all the misery they have caused this country.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Its funny that it wasn't until the boomers started retiring that all the problems happened. Seems like the new generation can't handle their affairs as well. Afterall they are the entitlement generation looking for a new parent in the government.Not all which explains the growing income gap in the present generation;those that can and those that can't. Bommers have been retiring by the millions since they were 50. Then look at the drop outrate now and what has happened to our school's since the late 70's. This generation maybe the First that do worese than their ancestors.They love to blame everyhting on someone else;and love the predisposed excuse for any problem they have.Look at the number of one parent children and ven the huge number of children being raised by their bommer grandparents.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This question was posed on Yahoo! Well, what do you think? Did you? Post yes or no examples below. Did baby boomers ruin the chance for their kids to ever retire?

Here's the article on Yahoo!...Did the Baby Boomers ruin America for everyone else? - Yahoo! Answers
Is there some statistic that shows the baby boomers are the demographic who is most in debt and experiencing home foreclosures (compared to their percent of the population) and how does this prevent their kids from saving money to retire?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
I'm a Boomer - and I was taught by my depression-era parents to save, save, save. Not buy, buy, buy.

Thank you, Mom and Dad

Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 AM

70 posts, read 263,266 times
No, TV did.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a Boomer - and I was taught by my depression-era parents to save, save, save. Not buy, buy, buy.

Thank you, Mom and Dad
I'm a tail end Boomer myself and I learned the same lessons.

IMHO it's the "Generation X" who followed us - people now in their mid-40's and younger who were the "gimme" generation, who bought the houses they can't afford and such.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Technically, I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and I can pretty much say they are the Generation of Locusts. Baby Boomers were pretty much pure id, emerging from the womb saying, "I want."
No, not from the womb. They popped out into a society where business and advertising were churning away at creating an ever more voracious consumer society. Boomers were educated into greed and life-long adolescence. It was good for business, so it had to be good for America.

Whoooooops...maybe it wasn't.

Oh well, too bad about that now because at this point Boomers are practically innocents when it comes to greed and self-engrossment.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
I'm a tail end Boomer myself and I learned the same lessons.

IMHO it's the "Generation X" who followed us - people now in their mid-40's and younger who were the "gimme" generation, who bought the houses they can't afford and such.
And "X" is the generation complaining about Boomers, usually.

So - another question - does that mean that a lot of Boomers were bad parents and didn't prepare their children?

I have no children - can't blame me

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And "X" is the generation complaining about Boomers, usually.

So - another question - does that mean that a lot of Boomers were bad parents and didn't prepare their children?

I have no children - can't blame me
Jeez, first we ruined America. Then we refuse to retire early, killing the job market for the younger folks. Now, we are bad parents. Fortunately, with the coming Healthcare "improvements", we can be judged worthless and they can kill us off early.

I guess I'll just wait here to be euthanized so I can save America. In the interim let me alone so I can enjoy a cup of coffee because it's a beautiful Saturday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement