Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
have to send you a pic of my code pink sister (formerly of san fran) with her long gray hair, parted in the middle ...............she pulls it off at 60....figure she'll be still doing it at 80.
had a request for the picture of sister with long gray hair at sixty - picture to follow - trying to figure what file i have classified it under....

1. person who tortured me throughout my childhood and went on to become a therapist.........or
2. older sister who was nice to me one day in 2006....... or
3. reason i am who i am (that can be taken several ways ).......
4. gutsy sage-d female who refuses to cut her hair even if her mother says she should at this age- smiley face of her mother . (also my mother but said sister always said they found me in a trash can and that i wasn't really related.............so not so sure if she's my mother too) ................or
5. person referenced religioiusly in all therapist sessions.............................
6. who my book entitled "my sister: portrait of an only child" will be dedicated to.....................

LOL -
I'll find the picture of the evil big sister and post it . she has never lacked for flair

back to escaping from my family....................... lol lol lol

Last edited by mzfroggez; 06-09-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What "innocent" did we lose at Kent State? You mean the violent vicious rioters that had to be put down?
tongue in cheek, i hope

Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You mean like the two students (out of the four killed) that were just walking from one class to the next? Or some of the other wounded students who also were just walking to class?

Or the other two who were part of the protest, but were almost a football field away from the guardsmen?

But you're right, firing 67 rounds into a group of college students who are throwing rocks at you is a reasonable response and definitely justifiable.

After all, they needed to be put down.
thanks for clarification - i think perhaps the poster was being ....word escapes me....must be age.....superfluous? no, that's not it - facetious!!!! (spelling? my eyes are failing, my mind even faster.......)

but regardless, appreciate your reminder, madman, of how often we and others are caught up in events that we were either too naive to understand possible consequences or perhaps too trusting as well as how often we just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. i always try to keep that in mind when reading the paper or listening to commentary from any side of the fence....(but for the grace of God, there go i ..........or my four progeny ....or their spouses................or their offspring..............or some other hapless soul.)

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Thank you for your gracious responses to those who commented on your OP.

I was born in 1950, the oldest of 6 children. We were not indulged in ANY sense of the word...those of us who wanted to go to college had to pay for it ourselves. My husband grew up the same way. As the only child of a single mother, he had to figure out a way to pay for what he wanted, aside from the essentials.

The '60's were an amazing time...so many "firsts", both good and bad. I guess you had to be there to appreciate "the party".

I can understand how most people in our nation banded together and supported WWII. I also saw what effect it had on the lives of just about every American...my parents lived through it, so I have second-hand knowledge. But I can't compare the situation in Iraq/Afghanistan to WWII. To me, it is this generation's Viet Nam...for which I am TRULY sad.

I don't think any one generation is better than another...we are just different. However, I hope we can learn from each other. We all have something worthwhile to share.
well said,libra girl - i also appreciate west cobb's gracious response to me - i didn't want to sound terse but i may have - very unlike me and if i did, i do apologize for being "un-boomer/peace-love-woodstock-LOL).

I really need to write a bit more and will but i appreciate the comment by libra girl concerning differences on wars....WW2, vietnam, Iraq/Afgh, etc -while ww2 was not a great war/easy war/yeah team war, it did make sense from a foresight/hindsight perspective. it did unite a nation against an identifiable foe. subsequent skirmishes/wars/international policy decisions since that time oft as naught surely have not.

the term was used "my country, right or wrong" by the original OP concerning his serving in Iraq/ or the mid-east theater-

while I am a citizen of this country, an American, and I do love my country, just like the Russians or other nationalities throughout time have loved their native land, I can't ascribe to "my country, right or wrong".

I love my kids, right or wrong, but I don't endorse wrongful or ill-thought behavior. I surely don't support it/join it/whatever. We did not tolerate the WW2 german professions that the Nuremberg laws etc were the law, nor that hitler was the legally elected leader of a country and thus they were only following orders, etc. I refuse to drop the "nazi" charge because that is not what the OP was saying/please do not misunderstand me on that.

but in reality, stating "my country right or wrong" can lead to that sort of mentality or justification.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
...but in reality, stating "my country right or wrong" can lead to that sort of mentality or justification.
There has to be something wrong here, triciajeanne. You're making me think. I thought I'd given that up when I retired.

I remember being shocked when my father, a career Marine Corps aviator who served in WW II and Korea, and perhaps flew Air America in Cambodia as well, one day asked, "What was it all about. What good did we do?" It broke my heart. I'd had my own military career from 1966 to 1978, including combat for almost two years, and had liked to think it stood for something. I'd even served for several years at the Pentagon. It was supposed to be alright and stand for something, wasn't it?

As Hamlet said, "Must give us pause."

If we're nothing else, we boomers are decidedly a mixed bag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement