Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 AM

578 posts, read 2,098,007 times

Advertisements

I was curious about the culturally identity of Rhode Island.

1) Is this state a solid backer of Boston and does it widely support the Boston teams, Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, or do they support the New York teams like Southern CT, or both?

2) Do you get Boston, NY stations?
-Which games do you get on TV, just Sox, Pats, Bruins, and Celtics, or do you get Yankee, Giants, and Rangers?
-I know the Providence Station has Yankee games on radio and has many Giants games so I would assume those teams have a good following.

3) I am a bit confused about this for a few reasons.
While Rhode Island is closer to Boston and much more New England than Fairfield County, it still is part of Southern New England which commonly is referred to as having split between New York and Boston.
-I have heard of many people from Rhode Island being Boston fans BUT Rhode Island has a very large Italian population.
-I have been told in areas outside the metro areas of New York and Boston, which Rhode Island would be, the allegiance is largely based on ethic hertiage where people who are Irish root for Boston, Italians go for New York.
-I would think given how close Rhode Island is to Boston but it being in southern New England, not far by ferry to Long Island and with the ethnic background it would like Southern New England be split.
Am I right?

4) If you live in Rhode Island can you expect if you are a New York fan to be able to get good coverage in the newspapers, on TV, see the games, and have fans, or does it vary by area and if so were does the boundary start?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post

1) Is this state a solid backer of Boston and does it widely support the Boston teams, Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, or do they support the New York teams like Southern CT, or both?

-Which games do you get on TV, just Sox, Pats, Bruins, and Celtics, or do you get Yankee, Giants, and Rangers?
-I know the Providence Station has Yankee games on radio and has many Giants games so I would assume those teams have a good following.

While Rhode Island is closer to Boston and much more New England than Fairfield County, it still is part of Southern New England which commonly is referred to as having split between New York and Boston.
-I have heard of many people from Rhode Island being Boston fans BUT Rhode Island has a very large Italian population.
-I have been told in areas outside the metro areas of New York and Boston, which Rhode Island would be, the allegiance is largely based on ethic hertiage where people who are Irish root for Boston, Italians go for New York.
-I would think given how close Rhode Island is to Boston but it being in southern New England, not far by ferry to Long Island and with the ethnic background it would like Southern New England be split.
Am I right?

4) If you live in Rhode Island can you expect if you are a New York fan to be able to get good coverage in the newspapers, on TV, see the games, and have fans, or does it vary by area and if so were does the boundary start?
Thanks.
1) there is support for New York teams, but it is mainly an anti-Boston reaction or when it comes to the Yankees, certain personalities like to support a winner. 10% of the total baseball sports fan are Yankee fans. the other New York teams barely register, but the Giants and Jets do have a following. the celtics and bruins have been down for a while, but they are still supported from Rhode Island. Patriots a Boston team? They are a New England team unlike the other sports team playing from Boston. Most teams playing the Patriots stay in Providence. Most football teams fly in and out of the Providence airport, including the Pats. Most season ticket holders come from the Providence metro area rather than Boston. So we don't perceive the Pats as a Boston team. Providence has shared the media with Boston when the Pats have been in the playoffs.

2)unless you have satelite you can't pick up either cities TV stations. games are on NESN or Fox which cover most of New England. the Providence radio sports station has been carrying Yankee games for about 5 year and they might cover a Giants game now and then.

3)not even close to a split. ferries do not make close neighbors. Italians have tended to root for New York baseball teams, but they were fans of the Giants and Dodgers back when these teams, with the Yankees, had many Italians on them. when the national teams left for the west coast these fans turned to the Yankees.

4)coverage of the Yankees is very good, not just for their fans, but also Red Sox fans because of the intense rivalry. the other New York sport teams get no more coverage than any other U.S. team.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,489 times
My question was is rhode island part of new york !!!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,574 times
RI is RI, and that's a whole other story, but as said it has influence from both MA & NY. Being more strongly Ital-Am there does seem to be that cultural influence, not predominant in MA with the Irish and all, which, when I go to MA, makes me like NY (and RI) a whole lot more. Don't hate me, I'm Italian and Irish and.... Occasional I pick up a Long Island station, and I bet in Westerly they do. Also, don't the Pats practice at Bryant college or somewhere there, and the Celtics are making Salve in Newport a home away from home.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:17 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
RI is RI, and that's a whole other story, but as said it has influence from both MA & NY. Being more strongly Ital-Am there does seem to be that cultural influence, not predominant in MA with the Irish and all, which, when I go to MA, makes me like NY (and RI) a whole lot more. Don't hate me, I'm Italian and Irish and.... Occasional I pick up a Long Island station, and I bet in Westerly they do. Also, don't the Pats practice at Bryant college or somewhere there, and the Celtics are making Salve in Newport a home away from home.
Unfortunately the Patriots left Bryant University 5 years ago.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,947 times
Just wanted to clear up one thing: There are actually just as many people in RI (percentage wise) with Irish Ancestry as there are with Italian.

The six largest ancestry groups in Rhode Island are: Irish (19%), Italian (19%), French Canadian (17.3%),[36] English (12%), Hispanic 11% (predominantly Puerto Rican and Dominican, with smaller Central American populations),[37] and Portuguese (8.7%).

Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 AM

P.S. One interesting thing to note is that if you add the Irish and English percentages, nearly 1 in 3 Rhode Islanders is an ancestor of the Isles.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Just wanted to clear up one thing: There are actually just as many people in RI (percentage wise) with Irish Ancestry as there are with Italian.

The six largest ancestry groups in Rhode Island are: Irish (19%), Italian (19%), French Canadian (17.3%),[36] English (12%), Hispanic 11% (predominantly Puerto Rican and Dominican, with smaller Central American populations),[37] and Portuguese (8.7%).

Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And, let me clear something up for you - While there are lots of Irish in MA (particularly in and around Boston), there are also lots of French Canadians, Italians, Portuguese, English-Scottish, Black, Latino/a, East Asian (Cambodian, Vietnamese, Chinese), South Asian (Indian), etc., etc.

I - for one - get pretty tired of the old Irish Boston stereotype. It's really got wool on it.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 AM

You don't have to clear that up for me, I wasn't the one who claimed that Boston was all Irish. I was simply pointing out that Rhode Island isn't all Italian.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

I will point out however, that despite Boston's obvious cultural diversity; the Irish are still the largest contingent:

People of Irish descent form the largest single ethnic group in the city, making up 15.8% of the population, followed by Italians, accounting for 8.3% of the population. People of West Indian ancestry are another sizable group, at 6.4%,[78] about half of whom are of Haitian ancestry. Some neighborhoods, such as Dorchester, have received an influx of people of Vietnamese ancestry in recent decades. Neighborhoods such as Jamaica Plain and Roslindale have experienced a growing number of Dominican Americans.

The city also has a sizable Jewish population with an estimated 21,000 Jews within the city and 22 synagogues.[79][80] The adjacent communities of Brookline and Newton are both approximately one third Jewish.[79]

Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 AM

20 posts, read 52,047 times
Default Hope this helps

1)I am from RI, we support the BOSTON teams. There are some people that like the New York teams but, not many 2) We get Boston stations, on the radio, not New York. We have all the games on cable but on just basic TV, we have Providence and Boston games only. Red Sox, Pats, Bruins, and Celtics are mostly watched here in Rhody.4) RI, is only 45 mins. from the heart of Boston and 3 1/2 to 4 hours from NYC, so that is why we like Boston teams better. There are a lot of Irish in Boston, but there are a lot of Italians too. Same for NY and RI. We are not split here, RI is RI, MA is MA, NY is NY and CT is CT. 4) NY out! Boston in! That is how it works here. Yes and No about getting coverage on NY, but we don't really care much either. 5) And as for the identity of RI, we're mostly Italians. MA, has Boston, which is cool, but the rest is okay. New York has the big city and it is totaly crazy. Now, up state NY, has nothing, 0! CT. not much there to do. But, Rhode Island is perfect!!! Come check us out sometime, you'll never leave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post

Am I right?

Thanks.

Last edited by Benedetti; 12-01-2010 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island