Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,574,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Why don't you two give us the statistics?

You're the fact-finding stats expert, have at it ! Will give you something to do tonight. I'm going to a concert. Nitey nite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,723,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Old news:

"program’s total Rhode Islandcaseload fell from 10,929 in 2007 to 7,784 in 2009 and 6,668 in 2011, a drop of 39%, the Washington-based organization found. Rhode Island’s jobless rate jumped from 6% to 11% over the same period."

Survey was done in March of 2013 for the year ending 2012. You have all the answers, where do you think they all went to? Massachusetts?

Possibly that "mastermind somewhere brilliantly analyzing the various social support systems from state to state" ??

I think Hollytree's post brings some relevant facts to the table for discussion. You have managed to both click the link and cut and paste from the story, and summarily throw it away as old news, but not offer anything in its place. Bravo. Do you have anything of value, any facts of your own to contribute, to back up this never ending smear campaign? Please, can you offer something constructive?

Quote:
You all can keep mulling it over, this subject is boring and redundant.
Point made. I believe you can ignore the thread if you like.

Last edited by ormari; 04-11-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They certainly didn't enter the labor force.

Those numbers are only for TANF benefits, there are many other welfare programs to milk.
Such as? Please enlighten us with facts. You seem to have direct knowledge.

Last edited by ormari; 04-11-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,190,516 times
Quote:
Sandra, go back and read that post for comprehension. In the example, those people did NOT move across state lines, they moved across the Pacific Ocean from Hawaii, obviously had to ship their stuff by boat. Including a Range Rover that was probably worth a good $45K at the time.
Cost to ship an SUV from Hawaii to the east coast appears to run about $2,500. Not a particularly astronomical sum of money, assuming it wasn't just the license plates that made the trip across the ocean. I'm going to assume that you determined the model year, trim level, mileage, condition, and options to accurately appraise it at $45k.

Quote:
You never heard the term "welfare Cadillac". Doubt it.
I have. Did you know it comes from a story fabricated by Ronald Reagan during his 1976 campaign?

Quote:
They were on welfare, unemployed, all of them. Section 8. One does what one has to do? Huh ? No other options? B.S. Those type people are in the category of chronically unemployed, welfare queens.
Amazing the things you can learn simply by watching someone unload a Range Rover!!

Quote:
And, every multi apartment complex, by law, has to reserve X amount of units for Section 8, disabled under certain conditions, and so forth.
I've never heard of and cannot find reference to such a requirement. Landlords aren't allowed to refuse a tenant solely because they have a Section 8 voucher, but there's no requirement to keep units empty if you have no Section 8 applicants.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Wow, that really added some relevant 'facts' to the discussion.

You have a vivid imagination. No one has gone to an unemployment office to pick up checks for decades, if ever. They don't issue checks there. And since you now apply online or over the phone, most of those old offices are closed now.
Not to mention you have to have worked to collect unemployment. Of course it's already been revealed that "unemployment" was just another code word, like "diversified."

Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
When people refer to the "real" unemployment rate, they're usually referring to the U6 rate, which includes people who have given up on finding work. It's very difficult to find current state-by-state data on the U6 rate, but what I do know is that in recent history, Rhode Island looks better than expected when you use the U6. For example, about a year ago, Rhode Island had the highest U3 rate (the one that's typically reported) in the country, but only the sixth-highest U6 rate.
The U-6 includes part time workers looking for full time jobs, plus all workers considered "marginally attached" to the labor force - those who have given up looking ("discouraged workers"), those who are in school, ill or disabled, or have family responsibilities, child care, or transportation problems keeping them from working.

The measure that includes only "unemployed" plus discouraged workers is the U-4. The difference between the U-4 and U-3 would be the measure of people who dropped out of the labor force because they gave up looking for work. In Rhode Island, it's dropped from 0.6 in 2011 to 0.4 in 2014. The U-6 minus U-3 has dropped from a high of 7.9 in 2009-2010 to 5.8 in 2014. Alternate Measures of Labor Underutilization

Quote:
It's certainly possible that Massachusetts' U6 rate is decreasing at a faster rate than Rhode Island's, but it must be said that Rhode Island started from a point of having an unemployment rate that was closer to the broadest measure than other states.
It's the opposite - the average annual change in U-6 minus U-3 in Rhode Island from 2010 to 2014 is -0.42. In Massachusetts it's -0.08.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,034 times
It's true very angry people and unfortunately it rubs off when your in that environment

Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM

17 posts, read 20,589 times
how many people in RI weren't born in RI besides immigrants? I know a few from Mass. and one from CT. otherwise everybody is from here. they're all interbreeding and/or have lead poisoning. how else do you explain the democrat majority in this state for 50 years? look where's it gotten the state.
The roads just in Warwick are so bad, they might as well let them devolve back into dirt. this after paying $300 a year in car taxes alone and $600 more per year, after reevaluation, in property taxes. The crap part is that all tax increases from 2005 on to ad-infintum into the future are going directly towards paying the city workers free retirement health care for life and their pensions. there simply is no add'l money for anything else, so only the way the roads ever get paved would be through a bond of some sorts...ridiculous.
Poor Warwick has so many shutter businesses esp. on Post Rd. that it's looking like a 3rd world country. Heck Sam's Club bailed because it's too expensive here.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,152,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by footodors View Post
how many people in RI weren't born in RI besides immigrants? I know a few from Mass. and one from CT. otherwise everybody is from here. they're all interbreeding and/or have lead poisoning.
You make me angry.

According to a website I'm not allowed to link to from this one, 32.1 percent of people in Rhode Island were born out of state. That's about the national average. Twenty-four other states, including Massachusetts, have lower percentages born out of state. Only 24 percent of people in Massachusetts were born outside the state. You can't chalk it up to immigrants, either -- Massachusetts, for example, has a higher percentage of immigrants, but also a higher percentage of people born in state.

Here is how many people I know here who were born out of state: a lot. The fact that you don't know many says much more about your social circle than about reality.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
According to a website I'm not allowed to link to from this one, 32.1 percent of people in Rhode Island were born out of state. That's about the national average. Twenty-four other states, including Massachusetts, have lower percentages born out of state. Only 24 percent of people in Massachusetts were born outside the state. You can't chalk it up to immigrants, either -- Massachusetts, for example, has a higher percentage of immigrants, but also a higher percentage of people born in state.
Maybe you can't link, but I think you can cite where your info comes from.

Quote:
Here is how many people I know here who were born out of state: a lot. The fact that you don't know many says much more about your social circle than about reality.
Same here. In Providence, there are lots of transplants from elsewhere in the US. I'm one of many. For instance, it is frequently transplants who come to a neighborhood, see it with fresh eyes, think about it with minds unladen of long term taint, and act accordingly. I saw it happen in my native state, saw it happen in greater Boston, and see it happening here. But it is also fueled by native Rhode Islanders with open minds.

Not everything is rosy in this state. Not everything is rosy in any state. But to only complain about the negative without recognizing the positive is self destructive. Sure, complain, but take time to recognize the positive. Better still is to find positive change you want to see, and work towards it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island