Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfWest View Post
Google it, huh? I'm sure that everything I'll get from that excercise will be straight fact. Just like what you get when you google "Barack Obama sworn-in using the Koran" or "Area 51 UFOs"

Grads from local universities very often do stick around, particularly people at the UR med school and certain RIT programs, precisely because of the wide range of metro jobs available in those fields. This I know. How do I know this? Because I moved away, came back for college and then stayed here after I graduated...hence the reply to the OP on how many have moved back.
Believe it or not, I came back to Rochester after spending my high school years in the U.S virgin islands. Which I think we can all agree is basically synonymous with warm weather and sunshine (sadly, not synonymous with public safety and low crime but that's another conversation). The weather here really does suck during the winter and usually during the spring, however if you can get over that it's a pretty decent city to live in. I grew up here and even putting aside hometown pride I loved the city, it was a big factor in my decision to choose to come to U of R. Not for everybody, but a very, very common theme in almost any thread on here about rochester is that of the people that move away and then find themselves coming back years later. Rochester people are always doing that: moving away to Pheonix or some damn place only to come running back to their city years later. If the city sucked that much people wouldn't be moving back, nor in fact would they be moving here from elsewhere. The city is growing again, albeit slowly.
I chose to come here, and to stay after school over other options I had, because I really like the city. It's large enough to still actually feel like you're someplace important, but there's a feeling of closeness in the community that you don't find in New york or L.A or even similarly-sized metros like new orleans or something. There's a number of really cool, distinct village-type neighborhoods that a young fella like meself can actually enjoy living in. People are friendly, the city is actually quite beautiful once the damn snow melts sometime in April, there's a lot of great resturaunts and bars, etc. I don't want to name every single thing I like about the city but you get my point.
I mean a few people on these forums carry on about how horrible everything is about Rochester, and everyone's entitled to their opinions I guess but really, the person who write these lengthy posts declaring the absence of anything good about ANY metropolitan area over 500,000 people is just typing straight BS. I mean you simply can't be a city the size of Rochester or Buffalo or Raleigh or whatever and not have a lot of things to do. There's the same stuff here you'll find in any and every other important US city: bars, clubs, resturaunts, cafes, concerts and festivals, galleries and museums, a skyline, large city parks, good hoods and bad hoods, whatever.
Some people don't like the weather or the city or a combination of the two and move elsewhere. But I don't get the posts describing the action of moving from Rochester to another city like it's akin to fleeing some tiny rural town after high school. I've got only a few friends around here that actually think like that. One in particular lives in henrietta. He can drive two minutes to the strip mall for groceries and what not, or another five to go to work in a suburban office park. He's constantly whining about how horrible rochester is and yet I've never seen him make a single attempt to enjoy what the city has to offer, in fact I've never seen him go into the city period. He complains about the lack of bars around here but I doubt he could find alexander street on a map if you asked him to. You may not like Rochester, but you could at least aknowledge that there's stuff here to employ and entertain the people like me who do.
lol

"my experiences negate yours because they are my experiences"

lol

"I left Rochester to live in bumf**k, Pacific and I think I'm representative of anyone that leaves and comes back"

Drive time is not a reason to live anywhere. I'm sorry, but STOP using that as an excuse. Some people don't have to drive at all to get everything that they need. Some drive the same distance to get more. NY is the worst state for commute (Google it). I love when people in the area are like, "you can drive 15 minutes to anywhere!!!". It doesn't matter when anywhere is absolute sh*t. I'd rather drive 45 minutes to anywhere, when anywhere means an aquarium, petting zoos, historical locations, gardens, commercial malls, outlet malls, oceanic or lake beaches, nationally recognized restaurants, other quaint towns, dolphin-watching locations, waterparks, bars/beer stores, etc.

And weather is not a reason to live anywhere either. If Rochester was 20 degrees warmer all around, it's still embarrassing and should be bulldozed.

And obviously, someone that sits there and says the "restaurants and bars are great" hasn't been anywhere else for the same. We call that, in our society, ignorance.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 02-28-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
lol

"my experiences negate yours because they are my experiences"

lol

"I left Rochester to live in bumf**k, Pacific and I think I'm representative of anyone that leaves and comes back"

Drive time is not a reason to live anywhere. I'm sorry, but STOP using that as an excuse. Some people don't have to drive at all to get everything that they need. Some drive the same distance to get more. NY is the worst state for commute (Google it). I love when people in the area are like, "you can drive 15 minutes to anywhere!!!". It doesn't matter when anywhere is absolute sh*t. I'd rather drive 45 minutes to anywhere, when anywhere means an aquarium, petting zoos, historical locations, gardens, commercial malls, outlet malls, oceanic or lake beaches, nationally recognized restaurants, other quaint towns, dolphin-watching locations, waterparks, bars/beer stores, etc.

And weather is not a reason to live anywhere either. If Rochester was 20 degrees warmer all around, it's still embarrassing and should be bulldozed.

And obviously, someone that sits there and says the "restaurants and bars are great" hasn't been anywhere else for the same. We call that, in our society, ignorance.
Minus the specific ocean activities, Rochester has all of those. You just automatically dismiss anything that doesn't fit in with your skewed view of the area.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Aquarium? Outlet mall? Nationally recognized restaurants?

LOL

Rose colored glasses my friend.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:

LOL

Aquarium falls under the ocean category. There is the waterloo outlet mall in the area. There are also restaurants that have been on national TV programs.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

LOL

Aquarium falls under the ocean category. There is the waterloo outlet mall in the area. There are also restaurants that have been on national TV programs.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM

130 posts, read 275,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
There is no reason in making double posts. We get what you are trying to say and once is enough. Rochester is not diversify with culture, too conservative so the restaurants are not authentic for the most part. As matter of fact, I do agree almost all restaurants are pretty bad except Max Chop House, Rooney's and ....that's about it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
There are no points in making dounle posts. We get what you are trying to say and once is enough. Rochester is not diversify with culture, too conservative so the restaurants are not authentic for the most part. As matter of fact, I do agree almost all restaurants are pretty bad except Max Chop House, Rooney's and ....that's about it.
that's not even remotely true. Try going out more, plenty of great places for food. The other night I had a great ethopian meal at a newer place on the corner of university and union.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM

It is true that you have just made two pointless posts. However I do agree with you that there are a few cool restaurants in the MAG gallery neighbors but there are too few of them. I know most people tend to defend the place where they are from but I just don't think Rochester has enough to offer. There is a reason why majority of prosperous cities/towns are located on the coasts and you just can't change the history as well as the geographic disadvantages Rochesterhas to offer. I have moved from Manhattan to Rochester 10 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Most of the people I have met through the years have all been pessimistic and negative about the future of Rochester. I actually think this recession is the only thing helping Rochester but we will be at the bottom again once the economy takes off.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
It is true that you have just made two pointless posts. However I do agree with you that there are a few cool restaurants in the MAG gallery neighbors but there are too few of them. I know most people tend to defend the place where they are from but I just don't think Rochester has enough to offer. There is a reason why majority of prosperous cities/towns are located on the coasts and you just can't change the history as well as the geographic disadvantages Rochesterhas to offer. I have moved from Manhattan to Rochester 10 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Most of the people I have met through the years have all been pessimistic and negative about the future of Rochester. I actually think this recession is the only thing helping Rochester but we will be at the bottom again once the economy takes off.
I've traveled around all over the place for my job, and for a metro area of around 1 million, there are a good amount of quality restaurants in the area. Not to mention other activities Sorry but bringing Manhattan into this is apples to oranges. Of course everything in Manhattan will be better.
If you meet negative people, find different people to hang out with. I tend to dismiss negative and miserable people and keep around the adventurous fun ones. It makes for a better experience.
I think your point about the coasts is extremely off base. The fastest growing areas such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, etc are all inland.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Btw, the outlet mall you mentioned is a joke compare to Woodbury commons, Wrentham outlet, Kittery and should I mention the ones in California. If you called the home of garbage plate a pride on the national TV program then you need to seriously watch what you are putting in your mouth. I am sorry to be rude but I am pretty tired of the denial we are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area