Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times

Advertisements

........and Farmington/Victor areas.

Ok, the following questions are very important to us...if each of you could copy and paste and answer each specifically (but briefly unless you want to give more info) I would APPRECIATE it!!!!

If we visited in the summer, what would our impression be?.....'oh this is so pretty' or 'ew, nothing great.'

Is the downtown a fixed up downtown or is it run down?

Are there lots of trees around, or many barren areas with none?

Does anyone specifically remember this just past winter, how many times you needed your driveway plowed? (my neighbor, from there, said her mom only had hers plowed like 6 times this past winter)

Is the humidity in the summer often high, like over 80%?

How is skiing at Bristol Mtn? (I realize it's not going to be like Vail etc!)

I am a jogger/runner, are there many of those around and out?

Does the town have little 5k runs or marathon type events?

Around the year, is there lots to do in the way of someone with 2 smaller kids?

Are there outpatient surgical centers that are drivable distance, as I am an RN? (right now SAHM and if I go back to work PT, I would like to work at an outpt center. 17yrs in a hospital setting was ENOUGH for me!)

We are very outdoorsy and have a neighbor from Cndga...she says theses things about it: 'it's so pretty' 'the people are so nice' 'there is so much to do'

We were/are also looking into Colorado Springs, CO. But, Canandaigua (a smaller town) seems to have the same type amenities that we are looking for except it has higher property taxes, no mtn views and I would think less job oppurtunity-am I right?

My husband is from the Tonawanda/Buffalo area and so we know all about what to expect snow-wise......

Thank you for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
To answer your questions

If we visited in the summer, what would our impression be?.....'oh this is so pretty' or 'ew, nothing great.' Pretty and quaint- Victore.... Farmington- not much there but homes and farm/field

Is the downtown a fixed up downtown or is it run down? The downtown is small, only like three dining establishments- a diner, a bar and an Irish Bar/Pub... oh and a BBQ place- in victor... Farmington- I think there is a Denny's, Subway... but not much

Are there lots of trees around, or many barren areas with none? This is upstate NY- trees are everywhere

Does anyone specifically remember this just past winter, how many times you needed your driveway plowed? (my neighbor, from there, said her mom only had hers plowed like 6 times this past winter) This was the first year we didn't get the plow service- and we didn't need it.... last year it hardly came (they usually come if it is a snowfall of 3 in or more)... but that is not to say you won't need it next year- it is always a gamble if you don't get it- you might want to invest in a few shovels regardless

Is the humidity in the summer often high, like over 80%? It gets humid here... not gonna lie- but it isn't like Florida if that is what you are concerned about

How is skiing at Bristol Mtn? (I realize it's not going to be like Vail etc!) I actually don't ski- but the rest of my family does- there are a ton of places to ski here... nearby and a short drive- you will never run out of winter fun

I am a jogger/runner, are there many of those around and out? Tons... and clubs to join- races all the time... you won't be alone

Does the town have little 5k runs or marathon type events? TOWNS have races all year... look up the running clubs in Rochester

Around the year, is there lots to do in the way of someone with 2 smaller kids? I have two children... we belong to Seneca Park Zoo (the membership is only $50 for the year and well worth it!), Strong Museum of Play- the kids won't want to leave, LollyPop Farm- they have animals for adoption and a petting zoo, TONS of parks, Roseland Water Park in Canandaigua, Summertime free movies at the theater, outside movies in Fairport, a festival every weekend(almost), apple picking, pumpkin picking- TONS of farms with activities at that time of year, every town does something special for the kids at holidays, Rec Centers are great.... I could go on and on... look at Rochester Kids Out and About for daily activities.... or feel free to Direct message me any questions... I try and keep my kids out of the house and busy.
Are there outpatient surgical centers that are drivable distance, as I am an RN? (right now SAHM and if I go back to work PT, I would like to work at an outpt center. 17yrs in a hospital setting was ENOUGH for me!) There are so many medical places in the area and a shortage of nurses... you will be FINE

We are very outdoorsy and have a neighbor from Cndga...she says theses things about it: 'it's so pretty' 'the people are so nice' 'there is so much to do' Tons of hiking, boating, skiing, sledding, ice skating, mountain bikeing, parks... you will have a ton to do if you do your research

We were/are also looking into Colorado Springs, CO. But, Canandaigua (a smaller town) seems to have the same type amenities that we are looking for except it has higher property taxes, no mtn views and I would think less job oppurtunity-am I right? MANY people work in Henrietta, Brighton, Downtown Rochester... depending on the job- short drive- maybe 35 minutes from Canandaigua. Also, you will find we have so many large hills to hike, some Mt. close by... but the lake and hills are amazing... I have been to CO... I wouldn't trade NY- but that is my opinion.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
Thank you skbs!! Please more ppl answer, I would like to see varying responses/opinions!!

I like what I hear so far.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
I agree with everything skbs said.. I would add that Victor is a very nice small town, and you are also close to Eastview Mall...Lots of great stores and restaurants...I think the Denny's in Farmington is gone, as skbs says Farmington is small and does not have much..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,669 times
If we visited in the summer, what would our impression be?.....'oh this is so pretty' or 'ew, nothing great.'

Canandaigua ... eh, nothing special, but is pretty. Truth be told I find myself traveling elsewhere (such as Ithaca and the Adirondacks) for waterfalls and the scenery things that I enjoy. The lake is nice and has a decent little playground for kids and a little path for walking. Seneca Lake isn't far either and there they have a state park on the lake with a spray ground for the kids, playground, paved path which is good for rollerblading and the such.

I lived for a number of years on Main St. in Lake Placid and when I compare it to that I find Canandaigua to be dead so to say. They do have the art festivals that I go to along with free music in the middle of town. I think it's a tourist trap in comparison to other tourist destinations. Living in the area is kind of a disapointment and the people tend to hibernate. Once again I am comparing to other tourist areas I've lived in and a typical description of me is I'm an outdoor inthusiast. The Main St. is pretty well kept with the typical stores ... music, art, clothing, thrift stores, but on the outskirt you will find many abandond large buildings such as the old Wal-Mart that built on a new site to make a Super Wal-Mart, along with many others.

The median on Main St. is grassy and in the summer is kept nicely mowed and there are also trees along the sidewalks.

Does anyone specifically remember this just past winter, how many times you needed your driveway plowed? (my neighbor, from there, said her mom only had hers plowed like 6 times this past winter)

We don't have a plow come around ... we shovel and only had to shovel twice ... 4" of snow on the driveway isn't cause to shovel and will melt away quick enough around here ... especially this past winter when we had a rainfall after nearly every snowfall.

It's not unbearable, jast take a number of trips to Seneca Lake to take a swim.

He he he ... I'm a race coach so I can tell you the whole lowdown about this subject. I coached at Bristol for 6 years but got tired of the bad managment that went on there. Moved on to Hunt Hollow (just outside of Naples) which is privately run and my entire family (hubby and 2 daughters (10 yo)) had a much better experience. It's totally family oriented. I could trust them to ski by themselves and hang in the lodge w/o constant supervision. Two winters ago at Bristol a young girl (12 yo) was taken from the lodge and escaped in the parking lot ... never caught the guy. At Hunt Hollow we all look after each other's children (that's how family oriented it is). There is also Brantling which isn't too far either but really small. That's it for skiing w/in an hour drive. All have night skiing. Bristol's bonus is 2 terrain parks (one with the smaller jumps and beginnerish rails, and the other with large jumps and rails and a half pipe. Hunt Hollow tends to take better care of their terrain park though, but still have a little trail with smaller jumps for little kids. Bristol ... you will be waiting in lines. Hunt Hollow ... never a line. Birstol ... leave when you are done. Hunt Hollow ... hang with good people and drink wine/beer while the kids play on the slopes w/ friends. Hunt Hollow also has cross country trails and snowshoe paths up the hill with rentals for adults and children.

I see a number of people running near the lake. I bike, but you really have get involved in clubs to do these things with others.

Being located on the lake Canandaigua does hold triathlons during the summer.

Sure, but usually it involves driving somewhere else. Rochester is only about 40 minutes away and there is lots of goodies there (Rochester Museum and Science Center and an indoor rock climbing gym). Cummings Nature Center in Naples ... in the winter they have cross country ski trails and rent gear out for the kiddies. Waterfall hikes (Ithaca, Dansville, and other locations). The Eerie Canal path up just beyond Victor. Hiking ... hu-hum ... no mountains, just rolling hills, but the Adirondacks are only a few hours away. I go there every summer to hike some high peaks and get my fill.

Are there outpatient surgical centers that are drivable distance, as I am an RN? (right now SAHM and if I go back to work PT, I would like to work at an outpt center. 17yrs in a hospital setting was ENOUGH for me!)

Canandaigua has a hospital right in the city and has a cancer treatment center now too ... my neighbor/good friend just started chemo there. The only room of the hospital room I know is pronounced *E-R* with many numbers of athletic injuries and surgeries and more stitches than I can count, so that's all I can give you there. Many people commute to Rochester for work.

We are very outdoorsy and have a neighbor from Cndga...she says theses things about it: 'it's so pretty' 'the people are so nice' 'there is so much to do'

People here have their noses in the air (very snobby neighborhood). Once again I come from an area where strangers will strike up a conversation on the streets (Lake Placid) and you will later be hanging together out at a bar. NOBODY will look at you as you pass them by on the streets here (on a normal day), I swear people think there must be something more interesting to look at on the sidewalk. People here hybernate ... and the only thing open after 5:00PM Saturday on Main St. winter time is the bars ... the streets are dead!!! Stores are closed!!! Just because it's winter time doesn't mean to stay inside, but that's what happens here. Aw heck, we moved into our house the end of December and didn't even meet our neighbors until April! They knew we had kids and dogs though from watching us make snow angels and snowmen out their windows.

We were/are also looking into Colorado Springs, CO. But, Canandaigua (a smaller town) seems to have the same type amenities that we are looking for except it has higher property taxes, no mtn views and I would think less job oppurtunity-am I right?

I love Colorodo!!! But love of the four seasons that the East has to offer can't be beat. For you, a job would not be hard to find.

My husband is from the Tonawanda/Buffalo area and so we know all about what to expect snow-wise......

I had a good ski buddy from Tonawanda in college and then he moved out west after college (for the big mountain skiing) ... do I know him?

Well, hope another perspective helps some and gives you some more ideas of what to expect of the area. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them the best I can.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 PM

51 posts, read 171,658 times
Nothing great. It's nice, but there are nicer places.

Victor - next to nothing there (bank, bar, local Rx, couple of resturants).
Farmington - no real downtown (bank, grocery, couple small strip malls)
Canandagua - fixed up, some interesting shops.

Lots of trees. There are places without them, but I wouldn't call them barren.

6 sounds about right. I did the whole shovel thing too...

Don't know for sure, but it's not bad.

No idea, but my brother liked skiing there.

I see them all the time.

I've seen them as well.

I don't have kids, but I'm sure you can find something.

Are there outpatient surgical centers that are drivable distance, as I am an RN?
We have LOTS of hospitals around here. You should have no problems finding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area