Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 01:18 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Something else to consider is that the median home sales price in the Rochester area is $181,900 as of Quarter 1 of this year: https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...-affordability

So, you may not have to look too much higher to find a home of your liking in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 07:27 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
^ While that may be the average of the entire region, based on sales, you may not find the house and neighborhood you are looking for. prices can be all over the place within the same town. I would say based on your housing preference, and location, you most likely won't find your house in this price range.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:40 AM

224 posts, read 136,655 times
It would be so sweet to find a place we like for under $200,000. I won't get my hopes up though! A few years back it would have been more realistic. These days even the condos / townhomes that catch my eye are over $200,000. I always check the sale history of listings that interest me. This way I can start to get a better idea of prices that reflect authentic appreciation, because like I said I do not want to be one of those people that moves to a new area and overpays because they're under-informed.

I'm finding inventory is scary low, so I'm glad we are not actually buying at this time, just learning. It will be very interesting to see what market conditions are like a year from now when we will really be looking to purchase.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
It would be so sweet to find a place we like for under $200,000. I won't get my hopes up though! A few years back it would have been more realistic. These days even the condos / townhomes that catch my eye are over $200,000. I always check the sale history of listings that interest me. This way I can start to get a better idea of prices that reflect authentic appreciation, because like I said I do not want to be one of those people that moves to a new area and overpays because they're under-informed.

I'm finding inventory is scary low, so I'm glad we are not actually buying at this time, just learning. It will be very interesting to see what market conditions are like a year from now when we will really be looking to purchase.
I, myself like to purchase properties that need some work. I don't like paying for upgrades that I might just paint over once it's mine.

A couple things about the stability of the region. The population of the metro region has continued, but slowly to grow for decades. I think I still have the front page headlines when we cracked 1 million. Now we have about 1.1 million. Slow and steady has worked to preserve housing values. I can't remember a decline in housing prices locally, although there were a lot of foreclosures from the 2008? fiasco. So maybe a year from now there may be some bargains, but I wouldn't expect the average price to drop.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:

If the media reports are correct, then inventory should pick back up eventually some time in the near future. https://www.businessinsider.com/sign...ior-2022-6?amp

Old 06-26-2022, 09:38 AM

Irrespective of prices, what we are hoping for is at least some correction in this extreme power imbalance between sellers and buyers. For the past couple years sellers have had 100% of the leverage and buyers have been reduced to desperate, groveling simps. The "delayed negotiations" announcement at the end of all the good listings has really become the hallmark of this imbalance. When I start seeing that wording disappear from real estate listings I'll be much more inclined to make an offer on a property.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Irrespective of prices, what we are hoping for is at least some correction in this extreme power imbalance between sellers and buyers. For the past couple years sellers have had 100% of the leverage and buyers have been reduced to desperate, groveling simps. The "delayed negotiations" announcement at the end of all the good listings has really become the hallmark of this imbalance. When I start seeing that wording disappear from real estate listings I'll be much more inclined to make an offer on a property.
Understandable, as many bids that go a good bit over the listing price would just get outbid by someone willing to pay more and in cash. So, that makes total sense.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I would say as interest rates rise, you will see the available listings rise and the balance return. BTW, the best time to buy is when the interest rates are high. Your timing may be very good.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:18 PM

This place looks really nice. 2 BR townhouse in Rochester with low HOA fee, asking $299,900 but they know it'll sell for more. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944976124

Old 07-03-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
This place looks really nice. 2 BR townhouse in Rochester with low HOA fee, asking $299,900 but they know it'll sell for more. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944976124
Looks nice, I would be curious to see the sales price. It looks like it might be just a little too far to walk to the Park Ave/ Berkley St area, that is quite popular. Close to Wegmans and a few other shops. Record Archive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area