Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 12:07 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
When we see exorbitant property taxes it's a turn-off even if we like the property. But I'm gathering that it is somewhat complicated to figure out what property taxes will really be. The amount stated in the MLS can be misleading, then there are vague exemptions (for example my husband is a veteran so I think there is an exemption we should be eligible for but I don't know specifics.) It's not very easy to get a clear picture, and this is a pretty important detail to us. I do like that trash collection is included in city taxes though. Thanks for that info.
Yes, it's the high property taxes that keep prices lower than other regions, so you have to look at the the combined cost.

Another thing to keep in mind, is, what is the house assessed at? You might be looking at a house that has $5000 annual taxes, but the assessment is $150,000. Once the deed is recorded, the assesment will go up.

There is a little bit of silver lining here, as taxes are also a deduction you can claim when filing your income taxes, as well as your mortgage interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 PM

224 posts, read 136,655 times
Our goal is no mortgage payment (hopefully pay cash, or if we fall in love with something a little over budget we'd only take a mortgage for an overage amount we could realistically pay off within 3 years max.) So property taxes and any HOA fees will be our house payment. Our mortgage payments in the past (including taxes and insurance) have always been $1200 - $1400 per month, so if we are paying close to that amount just in property taxes I would not even feel like we have a paid off house.

When I'm looking at listings that I like, I'm seeing a huge range of what the property taxes supposedly were for 2021. Everything from $1,100 to $14,000. Homes that are comparable in every way (lot size, location, # of bedrooms, sq. footage, etc.) one will show tax amount of $4,000 and the other will say $12,000. I do also notice that the assessment price of the home for 2021 is usually $50,000 - $100,000 less than the current asking price.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:01 PM

163 posts, read 102,610 times
People say Henrietta has low property taxes because there is so much commercial tax revenue it gives the homeowners a break.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:17 PM

We just went for a walk and were talking about property taxes. Husband said "whatever they're doing with that tax money it does make this place feel like a first world country."

All of the properties I posted in this thread have sold. I think I'll have to wait til closings go through in order to see what they ended up selling for.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:56 PM

Fairport 4 BR 2.5 bath with neighborhood pool:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2945253375

Old 07-16-2022, 10:39 AM

Cobblestone for $189,900!!!
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2945362241

Old 07-16-2022, 08:29 PM

163 posts, read 102,610 times
I think your husband is coming around to accept the property taxes are worth it for what we have here.
I believe closings are taking at least 8 weeks.
The house in Fairport is more for a family with kids I think.
The Cobblestone house in Hilton is a historic treasure that must be preserved. You'd have to be up to that responsibility.
It's crazy that a unique, rare, historic Cobblestone house is priced lower than just about everything else out there most of which are boring cookie cutter houses.

Last edited by lilacsnlocks; 07-16-2022 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 06:04 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
People say Henrietta has low property taxes because there is so much commercial tax revenue it gives the homeowners a break.
I've heard the same thing and the thing I like about Henrietta is that it is in a good location, as well as having good and diverse schools that could appeal to a wide range of people.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 8,298 times
Of course you should pick the community that suits you. Henrietta is more diverse and less expensive than many of our towns. However it is completely sprawl-type car-dependent development with no town center and extremely low walkability. Fairport, to take another example that has been raised, is just the opposite--older, denser neighborhoods with sidewalks and a very walkable village center on the canal with shops, festivals, etc. I spend a lot of time in both, they really couldn't be more different.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroROCdotNet View Post
Of course you should pick the community that suits you. Henrietta is more diverse and less expensive than many of our towns. However it is completely sprawl-type car-dependent development with no town center and extremely low walkability. Fairport, to take another example that has been raised, is just the opposite--older, denser neighborhoods with sidewalks and a very walkable village center on the canal with shops, festivals, etc. I spend a lot of time in both, they really couldn't be more different.
Yes, villages are great for those that still want walkability in the suburbs. Taxes can be higher due to an extra layer of services. This is also why I asked a question earlier about towns that have walkable areas that aren't in a village like the 12 Corners area of Brighton or the parts of Irondequoit around Titus, etc. Are there other areas outside of villages in the suburbs that offer some degree of walkability that you could think of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area