Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 09:31 AM

224 posts, read 136,655 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this is allowed. I'd like to post MLS listings of homes for sale that I like. Please give your opinion on price (i.e. "seems high for that property" / "seems like a good deal" / etc.) Also tell me if there is something I'm likely not aware of as a new resident such as "that area gets pretty soggy and swampy when it rains" or "you can smell the landfill from that neighborhood that's why the price is low" stuff like that.

We're committed to renting at least a year before we buy, but I want use this time to learn as much as I can and this exercise is one way to do that.

So I'll start with this home: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943776522

It is a 2 BR, 1.5 bath and description says delayed negotiations so they are anticipating it'll go for above asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 09:37 AM

How about this one, 3 BR, 2.5 bath asking $380,000 with delayed negotiations: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943981133

Old 06-07-2022, 10:08 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
Hopefully this is allowed. I'd like to post MLS listings of homes for sale that I like. Please give your opinion on price (i.e. "seems high for that property" / "seems like a good deal" / etc.) Also tell me if there is something I'm likely not aware of as a new resident such as "that area gets pretty soggy and swampy when it rains" or "you can smell the landfill from that neighborhood that's why the price is low" stuff like that.

We're committed to renting at least a year before we buy, but I want use this time to learn as much as I can and this exercise is one way to do that.

So I'll start with this home: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943776522

It is a 2 BR, 1.5 bath and description says delayed negotiations so they are anticipating it'll go for above asking.
Most listings nowadays ask to see all purchase offers on the same day, so sometimes it turns into a frenzy.

As for this house, I would say it looks like a great deal and well maintained. The kitchen looks dated from the pictures, but the only other concern is I wonder if it has a HOA? Not sure if you would own the entire property, or just the part the house is on. Also, speaking of soggy, that area has flooded in the past, but not for over 20-30 years.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
How about this one, 3 BR, 2.5 bath asking $380,000 with delayed negotiations: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943981133
This is also a nice house in a nice, well established neighborhood. I'm a little confused what you are looking for and price range, after looking at your prior post.

As for this house:

Built in pools are nice, but generally reduce the homes value due to maintenance. So if you like pools, this gives you an edge.

I don't like the pitch of the roof, and wonder if there could be potential for maintenance issues in the future.

All the vegetation is great, but may cause kind of a damp feeling, blocking the sun. Additionally, all of those leaves will fall to the ground in the fall, and need to be cleaned up. But that's mostly what you get in Brighton.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:38 PM

Ya know JWRocks, I really, really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on those listings. It's very helpful for me.

All of the listings I'll be posting in this thread will probably be under $400,000. At this time we have $300,000 dedicated savings to pay cash toward a home. Since we are waiting a year to buy, that amount will go up a bit because we continue to save. We would be very happy to spend UNDER that amount, but also would be willing to take a mortgage for something like $100,000 if we do find a dream house that's over $300,000. We can then get the mortgage paid off pretty quickly and own the home outright, which is a very important goal for us.

We do not want a large property, in fact that second listing above is pushing it in terms of lot size. I really enjoy doing my own yard work and fussing with the landscaping and have found that around a quarter acre or a bit less is a really nice size for me to work with. So we'll mainly be focusing on properties with 1/3 acre and under, all the way down to something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2943798091 (Feel free to comment about that listing.)

We are somewhat flexible on number of bedrooms and bathrooms. Minimum 2 BR, 1.5 bath but it would be nice to have 3 or 4 bedrooms and at least 2 full baths. The floorplan / layout and the architectural style / details are more important to us than the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. And you'll see as I post more listings there's not just one specific type of house I like. I appreciate a variety of different styles and I also love remodeling and interior design so you'll likely see some "questionable" listings mixed in because I have a vision for how I'd re-do it.

We're very curious to see what prices do as interest rates increase. We don't have some fantasy that we'll luck out with a buyers market, but since we do have some cash for this purchase we feel like we're in a decent position with the mortgage rates climbing.

One thing I do NOT want is to be one of those people that moves to a new area and way overpays.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:00 PM

222 posts, read 222,885 times
Quote:

I used to live in that neighborhood. Only negative in that area is that crown oak estates is an income based apartment complex. They do keep it clean and minimal riff raff though. The traffic on Penfield road right there can be pretty bad during rush hour so I wouldn’t dare try turning left out from sanders farm. I’d go to the traffic light at crown oak. Having wegmans and that plaza within walking distance was a fantastic pro for me. During my few years stay in the Rochester area, that was my favorite neighborhood to live in.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:10 AM

Thankful for the great info and feedback.

Here's a 4 BR, 1.5 bath, built in 1910 with detached garage: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944062348

Old 06-09-2022, 09:05 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,671 times
Quote:

Here's a 4 BR, 1.5 bath, built in 1910 with detached garage: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944062348
Love the old homes in this neighborhood and its a big plus being so close to Cobbs Hill Park (one of our favorite parks). And its right off Monroe Ave so plenty of dining and shopping option within a short drive or walk. Biggest issue I see is the house is in the Rochester city school district which is a no go for me. But if you don't have kids in school or plan to send them to private school you should be good. Also, its not always the case but a lot of these older/larger homes can be very expensive to heat in the winter time. Just keep that in mind.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:

That's a beautiful house, and it looks like it's well maintained, although there were no pictures of the basement and mechanicals. In addition to what gt87 said, that exterior paint job can be expensive. It looks in excellent shape now, but something to keep in mind for future maintenance.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Love the old homes in this neighborhood and its a big plus being so close to Cobbs Hill Park (one of our favorite parks). And its right off Monroe Ave so plenty of dining and shopping option within a short drive or walk. Biggest issue I see is the house is in the Rochester city school district which is a no go for me. But if you don't have kids in school or plan to send them to private school you should be good. Also, its not always the case but a lot of these older/larger homes can be very expensive to heat in the winter time. Just keep that in mind.
Even though we don't have children, school district is still something we should probably keep in mind for resale, so thank you for bringing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area