Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM

99 posts, read 228,131 times

Advertisements

Popnfrresh:

As you can tell from the reaction on here, the idea of someone being held up with a shotgun in Browncroft proper is deeply disturbing as this is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city of Rochester. Can you tell us exactly where the robbery occurred? Many of us live in, or own property, in this area and it would be helpful to know.

Crime does occur "everywhere" but in my book it does not good to rationalize it. Saturday Night Live ran a funny skit years ago in which a NYC talk show host commented on stories of violent crime that his callers reported. "Some stranger pushed you off a roof top? For no reason? Well, we're you leaning over the edge? Yes? Aw, you were asking for it . . . ." This kind of attitude is not helpful. Violent crime is awful and erodes a community's sense of well-being faster than anything else. As Guiliani demonstrated in NYC, the only thing criminals respond to is concerted community and police pressure enforcing a zero tolerance policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:52 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I wonder why I haven't heard about the notorious "eye-glasses bandit" that's been on the loose in mean streets of the browncroft area in Rochester.

On a serious note, if what you're saying is true then that sucks. But the fact of the matter is that your experience WOULD BE more of an exception than the rule (for those living in that particular area). You've lived here for about a year, so don't make such broad indictments against an entire city based on your personal misfortunes. Especially when people who have lived here for their entire lives are saying that this type of activity is suspiciously unusual for the area you've described. Add to this the fact that there's seemingly no news account of it and it shouldn't be surprising that some of us would express doubts regarding the legitimacy of your story.

This is very true. I cant even find a police report I asked my mom too look (shes a lawyer) and she cant find a story like this...Theres Petit Theft and a mart was robbed with a knife.. but no guns or anything.. Im sure if it happened in such an area it would be all over YNN or 13wham.. unless this guy is mistaken and was actually in Beechwood area...then I see such a thing happening.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfrresh View Post
Hey 585, why dont you tone it down a notch? Are you always a dick or does the anonymity of the internet turn you into a dickish forum troll? Is that your personal style to just jump down everyone's throats? Did I hurt your feelings? Did you drop a tear when I said this city was a dump?

This city is a dump. That is my opinion. Maybe next time you shouldnt get so damn offensive over words. The crime is out of hand in most areas and no where is safe, as i was trying to prove, but you couldn't handle it. I guess my story pushed you over the edge, troll. I never stated that the area is bad. If you look at the OP, it asks for opinions... Again, READ CLOSER!

BTW, I'm sure the all star news team here picks up EVERY story, EVERY time, ALL the time. Lets all just rely on the news to for everything...

Seeing as how I cant find a police report anywhere of your story, im not going tobelieve you and I doubt anyone else will. The city is a dump in some parts but not all. Its like that in every city everywhere. Hell I spent summers in Germany and even parts of their is a dump. Not everyplace is perfect.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:51 PM

233 posts, read 685,728 times
Everyone is so quick to respond with "Well, every city has X". Um, okay? I think we all know that. popnfrresh did not once say that this is the only city where violent crime exists, just that it's the only city where this has occurred to him.

popnfrresh, you'll notice the small handful of Rochester posters tend to bicker, because there isn't much else to talk about that would please the majority (positive things).

Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Everyone is so quick to respond with "Well, every city has X". Um, okay? I think we all know that. popnfrresh did not once say that this is the only city where violent crime exists, just that it's the only city where this has occurred to him.

popnfrresh, you'll notice the small handful of Rochester posters tend to bicker, because there isn't much else to talk about that would please the majority (positive things).
Wow. The first person with any sense and actually reads.

Cheerbaby, I didn't want to go to here but your persistence makes it necessary. Maybe your mom sucks as a lawyer and cant look things up right? Maybe its time for your mom to get a new job...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44392058@N04/5156111786/ (broken link)

police report | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44392058@N04/5156111786/ - broken link)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Hey 585, why dont you tone it down a notch? Are you always a dick or does the anonymity of the internet turn you into a dickish forum troll? Is that your personal style to just jump down everyone's throats? Did I hurt your feelings? Did you drop a tear when I said this city was a dump?

This city is a dump. That is my opinion. Maybe next time you shouldnt get so damn offensive over words. The crime is out of hand in most areas and no where is safe, as i was trying to prove, but you couldn't handle it. I guess my story pushed you over the edge, troll. I never stated that the area is bad. If you look at the OP, it asks for opinions... Again, READ CLOSER!

BTW, I'm sure the all star news team here picks up EVERY story, EVERY time, ALL the time. Lets all just rely on the news to for everything...
Maybe people would not jump down your throat if you didn't make sweeping untrue generalizations. To say that the whole city is a dumb makes you look uneducated. Making a blanket statement based on a personal anecdote is not the brightest thing to do. There are plenty of areas that are just fine with a low violent crime rate. Also, the crime is not "out of control" as you say. Violent crime has dropped compared to years and decades prior.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
Popnfrresh was mugged and robbed. Seriously, do you expect them to say "I love it here!"? I had my car broken into and I was pissed for a month. I have no idea how I would react if I was ever mugged at gunpoint, but it sure as hell wouldn't be to give glowing reviews of the town I was mugged in on the Internet. Popnfrresh had a horrible experience. How about a little compassion?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Popnfrresh was mugged and robbed. Seriously, do you expect them to say "I love it here!"? I had my car broken into and I was pissed for a month. I have no idea how I would react if I was ever mugged at gunpoint, but it sure as hell wouldn't be to give glowing reviews of the town I was mugged in on the Internet. Popnfrresh had a horrible experience. How about a little compassion?

I was raped and threatened with a knife in Ybor City, Florida which resulted in my daughter five years ago. I don't go around saying that the whole place is a dump because of my one experience, certain parts of that city are. I don't go around saying everybody in Ybor uses food stamps, is on welfare, poor people walk around all day doing nothing.

Also I have to doubt another one of his story's....You CAN NOT buy alcohol and cigarettes on Food Stamps and as an ex-wegmans employee I know that wegmans employees would not allow that. Food stamps do cover steak and seafood. Your saying just because they could possibly be poor means they shouldnt have food? Also just because someone drives a nice vehicle and is on foodstamps doesnt mean they arent working hard. I myself INHERITED a mercedes when I was 16, I was also on foodstamps for a year when I first had my daughter. ALOT of college students are on food stamps it doesn't mean they can't have a nice car: Universities encourage students to enroll in food stamp program | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

I also wouldnt complain about people stealing my packages. If you knew a package was coming and you werent going to be home you should have left a note saying it was to be delivered at a different time or you would pick it up. Thats not anyones fault but his own.

Also in that neighboorhood am I the only one who thinks that someone would def notice if someone was walking around with a shotgun?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM

200 posts, read 604,851 times
First, Cheerbaby, I'm sorry to hear your story. I'm glad you appear to have gotten everything in your life back together after such a horrible experience. I mean that sincerely. A couple of personal anecdotes -
I used to live on Girton Pl, right off Park ave, and probably 7 years ago, a 14 year old kid driving a stolen car was shot and killed by the police on the corner of Girton & Park. Pretty serious stuff if you ask me, and right on Park ave. A year or two later, walking home from Monroe ave ~1 a.m., a girl was stumbling and crying on the corner of Park and Cambridge. I thought nothing of it at first (maybe she was dumped by her boyfriend? Maybe she had a fight with her friends?) but she started crying for help. I ran over to see what was up, she said she had been mugged (for ~$20 and her phone) and pistol-whipped. Dumbstruck, my buddy and I hurried her to my place on Girton where we woke my girlfriend and called the police. We waited with her until an ambulance showed and took the victim away and officer took a report from me. In another instance, several years later when I lived on Granger, a guy was robbed and shot in the leg on Park (I believe near Jines), and drove his car to our street before stopping and calling the police himself. All pretty serious incidents, and whether the were ever extensively covered in the media (aside from the first one, of course) I'm not sure. My points are these -
1) If these incidents can happen on Park, why not in Browncroft / North Winton Village? The bad guys own cars, too.
2) The victim is the last person you should be blaming. No one is ever "asking" to be a victim. If you are secure in the safety of your neighborhood, why would you be looking around for a dude with a shotgun? You're wondering why this guy is getting defensive, it's because instead of listening to his story, people are just blowing it off and calling him a liar. Cheerbaby, no disrespect, but if someone doubted your story you might get defensive, too.
3) How people react to being assaulted varies. No two people are going to respond the same way. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to get that popnfrresh's reaction is "I'm getting the f out of here". CB, maybe your opinion of Ybor city didn't change, but his of Rochester's has, so why can't he voice it? Why should his negative experience and opinion be silenced?
4) These may be isolated incidents, but people should not try to brush city violence under the rug. Just because it "happens everywhere" doesn't absolve our city of any responsibility, and just ignoring the problem does no one any good. Let's fix it.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
Quote:

First of all, I am a d!ck in real life as well; a much bigger d!ck actually, because I can't get banned in real life lol. Second of all, I NEVER hesitate to criticize Rochester when it is warranted--just ask any of the posters here, or look around yourself. When I hear BS, I call the person out on it--whether it is pro or anti Rochester. As far as your claim that Rochester is a 'dump', all I can say is look at my previous Rochester posts-- I am FARRRR from naive, and am very aware of the realities (both positive and negative) of my city.

EDIT: I just saw that you posted a link of the police report. Well, I guess I was wrong. I am very shocked to hear that this happened in that area as I have many friends that have lived over there their entire lives and haven't had any issues. Regardless, I'm sorry you had to deal with that *****, and can understand why you'd be better at the city. But as I (and garmin and cheerbaby) said earlier, your personal misfortunes aren't enough to make such broad indictments against the entire city. Your experience is certainly very different from the 'norm' (at least for that area).

I mean I am sure there have been armed robberies in Beverly Hills before; would the victims be justified in calling the entire area a crime-ridden dump? no.

Parts of Rochester are in-fact a crime ridden dump, but a lot of the city is completely fine.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 11-07-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area