Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our experience has been that buying rural land is much lower priced.
Well, depending where and what you are comparing. Obviously a city lot is usually small and will cost as a few or more rural acres. However, I don't know many people who move(d) rural to buy a 0.3 acre place. Usually you are looking at a few acres at least and these can be expensive.

Quote:
If homes are close enough that you hear your neighbor's ATV, maybe you not all that rural?
Sorry, I was referring more to the public lands. Everyone has some reason why they move to the country but most city people do it to avoid noise, pollution and to be able to quietly enjoy the public lands.

Quote:
I have seen this. Not the attitude presented to us, but to others.

When a city-dweller moves rural, then attends townhall meetings and insists that the town upgrade things to be like where they came from. I hear stories of this routinely. People coming into the area and starting campaigns trying to raise taxes. Petitions for more bonds. It appears to happen a lot.
There are people on both sides of the issue that can be good, bad, obnoxious, mean, nice. All I said was prepared to be met with hostility and I used "odds are", I did not say "absolutely in each case" . Maybe I should have said "don't be surprised if you are met with hostility just because you moved from the city". A lot of folks carry a lot of chips on their shoulders.

Thanks!
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Well, depending where and what you are comparing. Obviously a city lot is usually small and will cost as a few or more rural acres. However, I don't know many people who move(d) rural to buy a 0.3 acre place. Usually you are looking at a few acres at least and these can be expensive.
$20k to $30k for 10 to 100 acres is not uncommon.

It is 'expensive' in terms of the amount of cash, though in terms of price-per-acre it can be reasonable

Quote:
... Sorry, I was referring more to the public lands. Everyone has some reason why they move to the country but most city people do it to avoid noise, pollution and to be able to quietly enjoy the public lands.
I see, I had not thought about public land. We have very little BLM land in my area. My mistake.

Quote:
... There are people on both sides of the issue that can be good, bad, obnoxious, mean, nice. All I said was prepared to be met with hostility and I used "odds are", I did not say "absolutely in each case" . Maybe I should have said "don't be surprised if you are met with hostility just because you moved from the city". A lot of folks carry a lot of chips on their shoulders.

Thanks!
OD
Of course, If you go into a meeting and start making demands that taxes go up, then be prepared for hostility. I do not think that anyone making those demands would be surprised at the outcome.

So long as your okay with low taxes, then there should not be any hostility.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Depending on what you are looking for, how patient you are etc. - either can work out for you.

If you want to save living rural you will need to work a lot. If you are not interested in raising your own and doing everything yourself you are probably better off by living in the city. Note that a person can live frugally in the city too. Most large cities have public transportation networks and you can get a foreclosure with a small yard (big enough) to raise a vegetable garden. So you need not go to the country to have a garden. In fact, for two people a small garden in the city will do. In many urban areas chickens are allowed too, it takes some research to find out where and how.

Most people run to buy a large acreage with the dream of working the land without realizing how much work rural lifestyle like that is. Heck, the farmers figured that out decades ago, today only 2.5% of the US population farms, most would rather live in the city.

If you are carrying some notions of a beautiful European quiet style villages out in the country in the USA, let me dispel that myth right away. You can find those in this country, yes, but that will cost you an arm and a leg. When you buy cheap in the country somewhere rural, most of the time there is a lot of noise from ATVs, gunshots. There is drinking and petty crime too (and many times not so petty as a lot of rural areas have turned into proliferate drug labs). What a lot of city folk think of as a quaint rural area is Mayberry and Mayberry may not exist anymore.

Finally, be ready to be treated in a hostile manner if you come in with your "city folk" attitude. Even if you are not guilty of any of that the odds are against you since coming from a city usually gets associated with rising taxes and "wanting to make a city out of our little paradise". If you don't know how to do things yourself (electric, well, septic etc.) be prepared to have a choice of one or two guys who don't know you but are bent on sending their kids to college on that one job at your place.

All in all, there are pros and cons to both urban or rural life. Only you can decide what will work for you and there is no simple answer. To illustrate, you may live cheaper rurally but if you absolutely cannot stand the stupid neighbor who constantly rides his loud stinking ATV next to your property and acts like a general brainless nuisance, is rural life going to be good for you? After all, you came there for the quiet (maybe) but it seems like the inbred next to you just wont quit his ways....

My $.02
From all the above I doubt you've ever lived rurally. You are so wrong for so many that it all seems to reflect more on you and your approach and attitude than it does on reality.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Why is an Atv considered brainless? Sounds like fun to me. Isn't that part of the fun of rural living? YOu can drive around an off road vehicle, shoot your guns, hunt fish. ie a different lifestyle than sitting on your butt looking at a screen. etc.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
Everyone has some reason why they move to the country but most city people do it to avoid noise, pollution and to be able to quietly enjoy the public lands.
I'd think if people wanted quiet and no pollution, they'd AVOID public lands... Because, ya know...that's where the public is allowed to be! lol

If you want peace and quiet, buy your own land, and make sure it's surrounded by a few hundred thousand acres of privately owned pasture. Doesn't get more quiet than this.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 09-10-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Why is an Atv considered brainless? Sounds like fun to me. Isn't that part of the fun of rural living? YOu can drive around an off road vehicle, shoot your guns, hunt fish. ie a different lifestyle than sitting on your butt looking at a screen. etc.
I do not think that having/using an ATV is brainless.

We do not have one, we are focusing on becoming more self-sufficient at this time.

I think that the problem comes when someone lives in a suburb. Their neighbor has an acre of land, so they like to run ATVs on it. But houses are only 100' apart. So the noise is an issue.

Out in rural areas, so long as you have 100+ acres, then you can generally run an ATV, fish and hunt on your own land and not bother anyone else.

So it may be an urban/rural thing.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
That depends on what angle you are coming from. To me Nature is to be enjoyed in QUIET. ATVs make that point moot. For example, a state like Missouri has millions of acres of National forest. Most trails in these forests are "mixed use" - meaning bicycles, hikers, horses and ATVs. I come out to listen to the birds, enjoy a ride or walk and all of a sudden a family of ignoramuses flies by throwing dirt and spewing gasoline vapors. In the distance you can hear gunshots, someone's killing deer or whatever else and it goes on and on, all day long.

So in essence, the forest is for the loudest ones, if you are looking for the quiet?

If I were the law, I would ban ATVs from forests, they have no place there. If you own your own acreage, sure, drive all day long. But that's just my opinion.....

OD

Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
That depends on what angle you are coming from. To me Nature is to be enjoyed in QUIET. ATVs make that point moot. For example, a state like Missouri has millions of acres of National forest. Most trails in these forests are "mixed use" - meaning bicycles, hikers, horses and ATVs. I come out to listen to the birds, enjoy a ride or walk and all of a sudden a family of ignoramuses flies by throwing dirt and spewing gasoline vapors. In the distance you can hear gunshots, someone's killing deer or whatever else and it goes on and on, all day long.

So in essence, the forest is for the loudest ones, if you are looking for the quiet?

If I were the law, I would ban ATVs from forests, they have no place there. If you own your own acreage, sure, drive all day long. But that's just my opinion.....

OD
Now on that we can agree. I've yet to find a redeeming quality about any off-roading which simply destroys its own path and as you said, causes both noise and air pollution. The sounds of legal hunting I don't mind because they're scattered and not all that cose to us. It certainly beats gunshots, sirens and ghetto birds in the city!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
There's nothing wrong with ATV's, but cityfolk shouldn't expect them to be kept off their property if they've got lots of acerage. Some kid or hunter or whoever will forever be crossing your back pastures when you're not around, taking a short cut to somewhere. Gets annoying when they damage the pasture or are real jerks and leave a gate open or cut through a fence.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
There's nothing wrong with ATV's, but cityfolk shouldn't expect them to be kept off their property if they've got lots of acerage. Some kid or hunter or whoever will forever be crossing your back pastures when you're not around, taking a short cut to somewhere. Gets annoying when they damage the pasture or are real jerks and leave a gate open or cut through a fence.
Or trample your crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living