Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of public land for your ATV, and they can be fun and practical for certain breeds of people (including active retirees). SD was impressive to see the ATV's legally ply the roads of small rural towns and beautiful PUBLIC back country.

One neighbor (older guy) does go crazy once in a while and rips through his hayfields at 50 mph +. I figure it is his 'stress reduction therapy' for being a caregiver for his wife. I would never advocate or expect to see ATV's crossing private property. Around my parts, you would be shot. (No GRACE & Plenty of illegal grow operations that are booby trapped). ATV's be aware.

Nothing CHEAP about an ATV... Get a Samurai and stick in a VW diesel = ATV with HEAT, Economy, and RADIO. Kits readily available ~$2000 for WHOLE package, vs $10 - $14k for 'Open air ATV'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
but cityfolk shouldn't expect them to be kept off their property if they've got lots of acerage.
Seriously??
Trespassing is trespassing, it doesn't matter if you were originally from a city or have always lived rural. You should be able to expect people to stay off your property, at least if you post it...

Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Seriously??
Trespassing is trespassing, it doesn't matter if you were originally from a city or have always lived rural. You should be able to expect people to stay off your property, at least if you post it...
This.

The back of my property is a firing berm. It's posted for a reason.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
In my experience rural living is cheaper. Less expensive housing but with more land, cheaper car insurance and so on. I also think living in a rural area keeps one from blowing money out of being bored. I find myself working in the yard more than going to the mall just to buy something. I am city slicker at heart but I have to admit if I ever move back its going to be an adjustment.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with ATV's, but cityfolk shouldn't expect them to be kept off their property if they've got lots of acerage. Some kid or hunter or whoever will forever be crossing your back pastures when you're not around, taking a short cut to somewhere. Gets annoying when they damage the pasture or are real jerks and leave a gate open or cut through a fence.
Where I live entering private property without permission of the owner is called trespassing. It doesn't matter whether the property is posted; the burden is on the person entering it. That's not a new law; it's a very old law. What good intent could a trespasser possibly have? Having fun doesn't count.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with ATV's, but cityfolk shouldn't expect them to be kept off their property if they've got lots of acerage. Some kid or hunter or whoever will forever be crossing your back pastures when you're not around, taking a short cut to somewhere. Gets annoying when they damage the pasture or are real jerks and leave a gate open or cut through a fence.
Sure - anything is possible. I guess rural property is not private property?

But yeah, that would be the kind of attitude that would **** me off.

Not surprised though. I guy here bought 5500 acres of a ranch and fenced it off with a 8 ft fence. The locals sued him a few times for closing off their hunting grounds.... They cut his fences numerous times etc. Helloooo! It is PRIVATE property and it's called PRIVATE for a reason

OD

Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is plenty of public land for your ATV, and they can be fun and practical for certain breeds of people (including active retirees). SD was impressive to see the ATV's legally ply the roads of small rural towns and beautiful PUBLIC back country.
Active retirees should be getting off their arses and walking (or some other form of movement) for fitness (doesn't "active" imply that?).

What's active about sitting on a fume spewing loud and stinky machine? You might as well sit on your couch.

OD

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
This.

The back of my property is a firing berm. It's posted for a reason.
And if someone happens to trespass the back of property while you are target practicing....
OD

Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Active retirees should be getting off their arses and walking (or some other form of movement) for fitness (doesn't "active" imply that?).

What's active about sitting on a fume spewing loud and stinky machine? You might as well sit on your couch.

OD
I take it you do not compete in the 'ole men's / women's class of racing (Or spent several days bumping around covering hundreds of miles of backcountry and tugging your ATV out of the brambles, rivers, and over rocks)

The ole timers I know are in pretty good shape, several race competitively in many sports, including Master's Swimming (ride ATV to pool to swim 3 miles (210 lap lengths everyday), then go out and MAKE dust

Different strokes for different folks. Glad there are millions of acres of wilderness and national parks for the non-(anti) ATV crowd to enjoy. Much of nearby Idaho is wilderness + 5 HUGE wilderness areas in my state with varying terrain. UT parks are where I escape to find quiet and lonely places.

For 'rural' dwellers', you need to give space for all the 'crazies', I prefer ATV noise to bullets wissing by, but... I have both on occassion. Have lived rural for 50+ yrs, with WIDE variety of success.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post

OD

You can walk 20-30 MPH?

RURAL is called that for a reason.

Also, ATV's can carry materials etc.

I myself do not own one, but today I am laid up from the pain. I woke up screaming and gasping, I've hung upside down, used various medical devices, taken narcotics, traction, etc. And I still won't be doing anything much today except typing with one hand because part of the nerve damage sometime debilitates my limbs and my left arm is not working so well today.

Over the years as it gets worse I WILL get one to help me enjoy the outdoors more.

The Wonderful thing is this is America, and people are free to ignore what YOU don't approve of!

Don't like it... Buy more land so you don't have to hear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living