Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times

Advertisements

My uncle grew up very poor on a small central Minnesota farm on a nice fishing lake.
9 brothers and sisters

After the Korean War, he did like most others in that impoverished area did and went to Minneapolis and got a good factory job.

At about age 50, he bought one of the 6 cabins that are now on that quiet fishing lake and they spent many weekends there in summer ( about a 120 mile drive)

Now retired for many years, I had expected he would spend weeks at a time there.
His wife said after about 3 days he starts complaining that........."it's too quiet here "..and they return to their suburban home.

One person's heaven is another person's hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Rural dysfunction has nothing to do with population densities. From the bits and pieces I get from the old timers - things were much different backs in the days. Sure rural dysfunction is a subset of modern dysfunction one can find in the cities and suburbs, it is just more distilled, more concentrated, more in your face due to the lack of ersatz substitutes and population densities cities have as well as natural tendencies of the associal types (drawing a fixed income from elsewhere) to reside in the rural areas.
Ah, but that is not what I said. Normal people do not ALL want to live close together, which is what the poster I addressed implied. Living far apart doesn't indicate either normalcy or its lack. Neither does living close together. Personal preference matters.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
.... Must say the Quiet once I get back to rural is the biggest difference and most enjoyed. ...constant drone of City sounds.

Like hearing the birds, the frogs in the evening, anything else chirping.
We have an international guest home in the boonies / quiet.

Guests from Singapore / Hong Kong / Bangkok / Jakarta ... are sometimes unable to sleep (?) due to the silence. We do have lots of Owl and coyote noise at night (which sometimes keeps me up).

Lately a woodpecker likes my SS chimney cap at 5:00 AM.... That is a little too much noise for me.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Normal people don't all want to live packed gill to gill in urban or suburban environments, either. Pick what works for YOU without resorting to calling other preferences abnormal.
I am not sure if I have ever enjoyed any more than a long distance relationship with normal.

Many times I have embarked on voyages confined inside a large steel pipe with hundreds of other men, traveling down to the depths of the seas, remaining so confined for months at a time,
Considering the greater population of the human species, I suspect that living underwater is not the norm. If anything it is likely very much ab-normal.

I have lived in high-population-density cities and in low-density areas. I prefer the rural.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not sure if I have ever enjoyed any more than a long distance relationship with normal.

Many times I have embarked on voyages confined inside a large steel pipe with hundreds of other men, traveling down to the depths of the seas, remaining so confined for months at a time,
Considering the greater population of the human species, I suspect that living underwater is not the norm. If anything it is likely very much ab-normal.

I have lived in high-population-density cities and in low-density areas. I prefer the rural.
Ah, ex-Navy, hence your moniker. Not only is that small and dark, you cannot just leave when you feel like it. Ugh. I don't even like flying in airplanes.

It's a good thing people have different likes and dislikes, because I sure as heck wouldn't want everybody piling into the same type of surroundings. It's bad enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living