Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know about that. I once considered moving to Maine. When looking into permits/septic/water/etc., including asking people from there, it seems in the real rural areas the rules that exist on paper truly aren't enforced. There's either no resources to do so, or simply not much interest in doing so. Seems to be the case in a lot of rural areas actually in the less controlling states...perhaps that's why the UN wants everyone to move to cities, makes people easier to control. Rural areas truly are more free for the most part.
Hummmmm...I have seen many fines paid that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM

These rules are to help protect the aquifer.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This is Michigan. At the "point of sale" the DEQ, and county do a search. The are looking for old wells in use or not or septic systems. If the find old wells, they then check to see if they are in use, or have been abandoned legally, to code. If they are satisfied, all is good. If not they do a site inspection. Now, let us say you drilled your own well, without a permit. You pay fines, you have the well you drilled abandoned, or do it your self to code. Buy a permit and drill a new well, or sell the property without a well. Until they clear the property, it is not changing hands.
That's not at all the case in many other states. No such inspections in states like AK or ME. Glad I'm not moving to MI.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
These rules are to help protect the aquifer.
Which ones? The minimum distances/etc., yep, they help protect the water supplies. I don't have a problem with basic rules like that (which AK has). The permits and such? They're just to give governments more money and control.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic homesteader View Post
Which ones? The minimum distances/etc., yep, they help protect the water supplies. I don't have a problem with basic rules like that (which AK has). The permits and such? They're just to give governments more money and control.
The DEQ is on a roll about abandoning unused wells!!!! We are so busy we had to hire two guys and buy another cement pump. We have had DEQ inspectors on the job site twice. Also wetlands. There are three homes about half built that the jobs are posted to cease and deist in my area. They had all permits and inspections.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
The DEQ is on a roll about abandoning unused wells!!!! We are so busy we had to hire two guys and buy another cement pump. We have had DEQ inspectors on the job site twice. Also wetlands. There are three homes about half built that the jobs are posted to cease and deist in my area. They had all permits and inspections.
Unless the unused wells are in a condition that threatens water quality/safety it's just big brother run amok.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic homesteader View Post
Unless the unused wells are in a condition that threatens water quality/safety it's just big brother run amok.
Yes, it could possibly. I have seen cross contamination. IMO, the big issue is city water with a septic system. Remember, we drill into the rock. Some of the older wells were not grouted, so even in the dirft, it could happen.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it could possibly. I have seen cross contamination. IMO, the big issue is city water with a septic system. Remember, we drill into the rock. Some of the older wells were not grouted, so even in the dirft, it could happen.
Well my point was, unless the well in question is causing a problem or obviously poses a threat, it's simply government run amok. And also, I have seen where people have been forced to connect to municpal water despite having a working well. Just more government meddling in people's lives. Of course, if we're talking MI here, it's a state that also sprung for mandatory NAIS, and also has pretty bad handgun laws as well. Not as free as some other states.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
This is Michigan. At the "point of sale" the DEQ, and county do a search. The are looking for old wells in use or not or septic systems. If the find old wells, they then check to see if they are in use, or have been abandoned legally, to code. If they are satisfied, all is good. If not they do a site inspection. Now, let us say you drilled your own well, without a permit. You pay fines, you have the well you drilled abandoned, or do it your self to code. Buy a permit and drill a new well, or sell the property without a well. Until they clear the property, it is not changing hands.
Never heard of such a thing.

Title searches, clarifications of deed and easements, may be done during escrow; but ONLY if you hire a title search company. And then it is not done by any government employee, but rather by civilians hired by the buyer to do the searches.

I have bought property in California, Washington, Connecticut and Maine.

Now what about 'quit claim deeds'?

A quit claim deed is one piece of paper, signed by the seller, which transfers the property ownership to the buyer. No searches, no fees, no insurance, and no realtors taking a huge cut.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:30 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That's not at all the case in many other states. No such inspections in states like AK or ME. Glad I'm not moving to MI.
No such thing on the West coast, or the East coast.

This really does sound like a lot of 'micro-management' by folks on the tax-payroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living