Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,808 times

Advertisements

The lack of crime.

I live in a rural area but I'm still only a few minutes away from the city, it's an unincorporated area and a lot of people own horses, etc. Sure there is crime everywhere, but it seems to be so much less here than in the main parts of the city.

Also the peacefulness, you get a real sense of nature that is often taken away in the heart of the city. I enjoy hearing the birds, the wind, even the coyotes more than I do hearing cars drive through the street at all hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
All states require permits to drill water wells. I am sure septic systems too.
What exists on paper and what does in reality can be two very different things in some places. Permits are silly anyways. And actually, after getting in touch with the DNR in AK about water rights, well drilling, etc., in fact no permit is needed to dig/drive/drill a well myself on my property, in an unorganized area. I have to file some paperwork afterwards for the water rights, but that's because in AK the state (by the Constitution) holds title to all mineral and water resources, it's not a "permit" for making a well, but giving you the right to use the water. For small users (as defined by law) it's actually not necessary to get the water rights (and most people in the rural/remote areas don't) but if there are any issues down the road with shortages or such, those without the water rights would have no protection.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM

133 posts, read 498,495 times
I never really considered light pollution a problem until sometime last year when I actually saw the difference. I had enrolled in an astronomy course at the local community college, and the instructor was griping about a radio tower about a 1/2 mile away that had a (very weak) red light on top of it. I never really noticed it when we were looking at the sky without telescopes - there was no way I could even begin to count the number of stars I saw. A few months later I went to a conference in a town of about 15,000 people and there was an astronomy night. They had a little observation tower set up, and the Astronomer was talking about how he had fought with the city to reduce the light pollution so they could actually USE the tower. He continued on about how the city (which was about 2 miles from the tower) had reduced the light pollution by nearly 75%. He was ecstatic because he could see the stars with the naked eye! After about an hour of him telling us about his little victory with light, we went outside to look before we went into the tower. I was shocked - I could hardly see ANYTHING! I thought the guy had lost his mind! Either this guy had superman-like vision, or he was crazy. Most of the other attendees were from larger metro areas, so they were amazed at all the stars they could see. I, on the other hand, found it a waste of my time. I couldn't even see half the stars.

I don't live on a farm like many of you do, but I do live in a small town of about 3-4k. There is one stoplight, and the closest grocery store is 20 miles away. There are two Walmart's within an hour drive. There are 5 churches in town, 3 gas stations, 3 bars, 2 pharmacies (including Rite Aid), and a dollar store. Everybody knows everybody. We do have the problems with nosy neighbors griping about the grass being too high or a car without a license plate sitting in a yard for too long, but we also have deer roaming the yard and bears crossing the road. It's not unheard of to borrow a firetruck from the local department to fill up the swimming pool or powerwash the car. We don't really have a downtown, and the clerks at the gas station see you pull up and have your cigarettes waiting for you before you walk through the door. I'm more worried about being attacked by a dog than hit by a car when riding my bike down the road. All in all, I do enjoy the small-town life. I know I wouldn't want to live any place smaller, but I couldn't live in a huge metro either.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What exists on paper and what does in reality can be two very different things in some places. Permits are silly anyways. And actually, after getting in touch with the DNR in AK about water rights, well drilling, etc., in fact no permit is needed to dig/drive/drill a well myself on my property, in an unorganized area. I have to file some paperwork afterwards for the water rights, but that's because in AK the state (by the Constitution) holds title to all mineral and water resources, it's not a "permit" for making a well, but giving you the right to use the water. For small users (as defined by law) it's actually not necessary to get the water rights (and most people in the rural/remote areas don't) but if there are any issues down the road with shortages or such, those without the water rights would have no protection.
Maybe it is different on your own property. Of course, you will post a link, I am looking forward to it.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is different on your own property. Of course, you will post a link, I am looking forward to it.
I do believe the rules are different for "professionals" in the business of doing it for others and those doing it themselves on their property, and there's a big difference between the Unorganized Borough and the organized areas. I didn't ask though if a well driller would need any permit, since I'll be doing my own well.

Was a phone call to the DNR. I had a handful of questions for them, on this and other matters (water, outhouse/septic, some access easements since I bought the land from the DNR, and other things). FWIW I couldn't find any permit requirement on their website before I called either. And regarding septic/outhouse, there's no permit requirement for building an outhouse or using a composting toilet system either, or even for a septic system, but there are some regulations regarding them (distance from water sources, etc.).

Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What exists on paper and what does in reality can be two very different things in some places. Permits are silly anyways. ....
Well said

Once you live rural, so much of the city stuff goes away.

I wondered about doing your own wells. A neighbor of mine years ago, in rural California had his own well driller setup. He driller vertical and horizontal wells to induce springs.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Well said

Once you live rural, so much of the city stuff goes away.

I wondered about doing your own wells. A neighbor of mine years ago, in rural California had his own well driller setup. He driller vertical and horizontal wells to induce springs.
Hey, if you are just hoping not to got caught that is different. When you would be caught in Michigan is when you sold (point of sale checks) or did apply for a permit for anything else.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Hey, if you are just hoping not to got caught that is different. When you would be caught in Michigan is when you sold (point of sale checks) or did apply for a permit for anything else.
"Point of sale checks"?

I have bought and sold properties in various states; what are "point of sale checks"?

A buyer may hire an assessor to inspect, examine and test things.

A real estate lawyer may do a title search and issue a title insurance policy.

What other form of 'check' is done in Michigan?

The farm where we currently live, I bought without a mortgage and without an assessor inspecting it. Though even if I had hired one, he would not care how many wells were on the property.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that. I once considered moving to Maine. When looking into permits/septic/water/etc., including asking people from there, it seems in the real rural areas the rules that exist on paper truly aren't enforced. There's either no resources to do so, or simply not much interest in doing so. Seems to be the case in a lot of rural areas actually in the less controlling states...perhaps that's why the UN wants everyone to move to cities, makes people easier to control. Rural areas truly are more free for the most part.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

This is Michigan. At the "point of sale" the DEQ, and county do a search. The are looking for old wells in use or not or septic systems. If the find old wells, they then check to see if they are in use, or have been abandoned legally, to code. If they are satisfied, all is good. If not they do a site inspection. Now, let us say you drilled your own well, without a permit. You pay fines, you have the well you drilled abandoned, or do it your self to code. Buy a permit and drill a new well, or sell the property without a well. Until they clear the property, it is not changing hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living