Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

176 posts, read 177,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Umm, yeah, well, that was me, and I did marry, and my husband never wanted kids, either. I was commenting on the other poster’s statement that the OP had to be thin and beautiful, implying that non-maternal women HAVE TO BE thin and beautiful to find a husband. I can think of many examples to the contrary, including myself. NONE of us is a glamor queen.
but did you have a sucessful career ans pull your weight financially?

or are you low paid social worker?

or just dont answer. dont give AF really

times .are different now, too. and life costs a whole lot more.

In this day in age no matter what you look like most men are not going to want to put up with you if you don't either raise kids make or make lot of money.

Especially if OP is carrying a huge student loan.

What man is going to want to be with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post

In this day in age no matter what you look like most men are not going to want to put up with you if you don't either raise kids make or make lot of money.

Some men love the person, not for their childbearing desires or high-paying careers or gorgeous looks.

Personality matters.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:52 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post

A man who loves her for who SHE is? One who isn't materialistic and/or makes a good enough living themselves? One who isn't looking to raise children, or already has them from a previous relationship?

Women marry men who don't make big bucks or want children, so why shouldn't it work in reverse? This is the 21st century; sexism is no longer hip.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 AM

1,371 posts, read 614,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!

Reading the start of your post one town popped out, Oneonta in upstate NY. And then I read your weather requirement and see it's not for you, it's darn cold up there yet the surrounding areas so beautiful for those who like the cold climate. Nevertheless I thought I would post and mention the town anyway cause one never knows. Good luck at finding your future place.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:46 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I would say always think left; like Hawaii! Is that far left of California?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:01 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Look around Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte, North Carolina. These areas are super hot for re-locaters with your "wants".

These areas these days fit most of what you are looking for, depending on what you are qualified to do with your education and experience.

Lots of 30 somethings too.

You will definitely also get your mild winters and warm summers, and very little cold weather.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
Well, maybe not. I'm pushing 70 and this baby boomer has become even more progressive as I've aged. Not every old hippie becomes a conservative crone. I'm following AceQueenJacqueline's post to see if she finds that perfect (if unrealistic) place. I'm looking at retirement, and have about the same requirements as she does...

Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!
i wonder if I answered this before, but too tired to check, so here goes.

With your work goal and salary ideas, there are five possible places of employment; working for a university or working for a government agency.

I would search university towns in warmer areas with nature.

Government jobs that pay decent, especially Fed and State. They are going to be in high population areas. That said, these areas do have suburbs.

Three, all big corporations have community liaisons. Find one that you can fit into and in the location you desire and you have a shot.

Four you can try nonprofits, though non-profits in social work rarely pay for a healthy career save for those already born wealthy.

Five , you can try philanthropic organizations, though to get a job in these you must already have cut your teeth and gained meaningful and relevant experience.

I would suggest patience with your expectations. If you are good at what you do and ambitious enough, eventually, you will rise up through the ranks and be able to build a decent career. this means starting out in a modest living arrangement and saving and investing until you get into a nice neighborhood will low crime rates and more opportunity for advancement in position and pay.

Finally, three things that I think you should ask yourself.

1) As a 23 year old, should I be placing of demands and restrictions on my future job prospects? I always advocate casting a wide net. The road to a nice life is almost never the first one.

2) Should I angle my social work degree towards job pathways and careers that can lead to more opportunities. With few exceptions, a career in social work will mean a life living like a thrifty student. Salaries are low and rarely rise beyond inflation. If you head to a career in which your job title is "Social Worker," You are heading to a life on the margin.

3) Similar to #2, moil social workers toil in poverty. Those that do not, live in wealthy big cities or who themselves are independently wealthy. It is never too late to switch paths. However, should you stick with social work, you must be prepared for a long, poor and often thankless life.

Good Luck! S

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
Let's see, 23 and around 25 wants to move away to a more perfect environment, sounds great...until,
Mr / Miss right comes along, then the whole world
looks different.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
I guess I'm a little clueless, but I never understood the reasoning for having such high priorities about living in a place that has such concentrated political values for one side or the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living