Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Pavement View Post
We have more than our share of the little buggers it seems. When pulling attached ticks with a tweaser, pull and twist at the same time and they come completely out every time.
That is a good idea...

However my husband does it when he pulls it gets them out whole every time...

He drenches it with alcohol, then takes the hot match and burns the tick and it backs out usually and then he pulls it off or out if it tries to go back in.

What freaks me out too, is he holds it up in the light and it has a tiny piece of skin in it's mouth... eww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
I remember having a fever being sleepy all the time & having a rash. But I was about your daughters age...my best memory was the strip schearches!!!!
Another thing IF you show fear IT WILL Scare your daughter worse than the tick!!
We were in the drs office when I asked my mom to schrach my back...she saw the tick & FREEKED... It took 4 nurses to hold me down for the dr to get the tick off... all because my mom freaked.

Questions, Answers | CDC Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Last edited by Katie1; 05-21-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I remember having a fever being sleepy all the time & having a rash. But I was about your daughters age...my best memory was the strip schearches!!!!
Another thing IF you show fear IT WILL Scare your daughter worse than the tick!!
We were in the drs office when I asked my mom to schrach my back...she saw the tick & FREEKED... It took 4 nurses to hold me down for the dr to get the tick off... all because my mom freaked.

https://ssl.search.live.com/health/r...ted+Tick+Fever
oh goodness.. that must have been scary for you..

I know what you mean about fear...
I remain as calm as possible around my daughter, but there have been times I have to leave the room, let my husband get the tick out and I go in another room and cry and calm myself down or take several deep breaths.

Ticks were not really a way of life for me growing up, we never really got them and or had to search for them...

But my husband is from Louisiana and got them all the time... so he is not fearful at all.. He is helping me come to grips with them, cause he tells me the same thing...

I would feel even more devastated if I made my daughter scared...

Each time I get a little bit better... but is so hard watching my baby girl get one...

Thanks for all your tips and advice, I truly appreciate it

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Try the new web site I posted...CDC its better than the org 1 I posted....

What got me most about my mom she grew up in the woods of West Virginia...picked ticks off dog cats horses cows Brothers & Sisters but still freeked when she saw 1 on ME!! What I was pic was some god alfull monster on my back! When the DR showed me the tick I was fine cause even at my age I had picked the little monsters of our dog!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Would OFF keep the ticks OFF your daughter....I took Katie to her vet this morning...He told my that the tick repellents keep the ticks from biting dogs but the biggest danger was Katie bring ticks into the house & me & my son getting bit by the tick.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Try this web for informatiom....remember you do not have to put any product directly on the skin....spray it on her clothes!

Insect Repellents by OFF!®

Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks Katie! you have been really helpful I am reading the links as we speak...

One thing I read on one of the links prompt removal gives you better odds of not getting sick... and we removed them off our daughter right away thankfully...

I may just have to go and purchase some OFF and spray it on her clothes like you suggested...

I always read how to properly remove them, I guess twisting them can sometimes leave the mouth int he skin or cause them to regurgitate releasing infection... and to firmly grab them by the mouth and remove them whole that way...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Think of the Tick in this way... It feeds off blood to live the same way you eat to live.... Not his fault that the Bactia that helps him to digest his blood meals is deadly to the 1 providing the meal! & once you get Rocky MT you never have to worry about getting it again! I am 53 yrs old got sick at 3 in 50 yrs I have picked millions of ticks off me...raised dogs had horses..lead a very active out door life. & with todays antibiotics the chance of dying or getting as ill as I was... well I would say slim to none!

What good are ticks?

Last edited by Katie1; 05-21-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Another thought Stop using pestasides in your yard TRY to encourage bird to your yard! Magpies love to eat ticks!!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,552,468 times
So sorry to hear that so many are so scared of ticks. I lived in Idaho for the first 44 years of my life where all we had was the dog ticks, and they were only in sagebrush areas. I have lived here for 31 years and have had probably hundreds of ticks on me, many that were well embeded. I have never been sick because of them. All of my husband's relatives have lived amongst the ticks for 4 generations. None have had a tick related disease. His uncle used to say he scraped them off with a currycomb :-).

The ticks are very prevelant here this year due to our wet spring. Our son and 3 granddaughters were here this week end. ( They live in Little Rock.) The youngest found a couple of ticks after coming in from outside ( one was on her, the other on a book she was working puzzles in), she went ballistic! You would have thought a rattle snake was on her! ( She is 11 ). Then the 13 year old found a couple on herself. She sat and cried, she was so terrified! I tried to explain to her how her relatives have lived here for many generations and have never been "killed' by them ! It didn't seem to help. :-(

I don't think we have as much of a problem with lyme disease here, as in the northeast, but it is here. It is said that the tick has to be embeded at least 24 hours to transmit the disease. My main problem is with the itching and sores that follow a bite. I may have a slight allergic reaction from the earliest bites, but soon get over that. I find that not only does the triple antibiotic prevent infection, and also eases the itch and pain. If I am itching very bad at bedtime I take an antihistimine pill or two.

To me, chiggers are much worse. Although there are no diseases connected with them, the itching is really miserable. I treat their bites the same way as the tick bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living