Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times

Advertisements

Once again the snow is melted (I think), the hay is growing, and my tick cremation facility is open for business. I know all of the normal tick suggestions, but let me hear some of the best little known ways to repel and get rid of ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Posting this under PETS/DOGS might help....For people just wear light colored clothes band your cuffs botton you shirts. Wear a repellent & check youself when you come out of the woods & fields. To detach a tick 2 old fashion ways hot match &or Alchol will get them to back off the burn or drown them in the alchol.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Depends on your property size and how you're using it. I just moved from horse country, and we had a band of guinea fowl and wild turkeys who made quick work of them daily on 4 acres of land. The horses were checked during grooming, and very rarely had ticks despite heavily wooded area. The cats were more prone to getting them so we just kept them in the house or on a leash outdoors in the lawn area.
Human type critters- if you haven't cleared the brush back, best you keep repellant on where skin is exposed. I used some heavy duty 3m creme for deep woods, found in camping gear/hunter type store in stroudsburg pa. It was advertized used by military. It kept everything away when I was wilderness camping, but I'm sorry I cant recall the name of it. Pretty sure it was 3m made it though. maybe you could google.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
We pick them off with tweezers. Since we live in woods, we have lots of them. They come in on our cats all year. I got my first for this year about a month ago. They make large welts on me. My DH doesn't have as much trouble with them.

LOL, Ron. "tick cremation facility".
In the colder weather I drop them on the wood stove. Otherwise I take mine to the bathroom sink and smash them before flushing them down the drain. I always put triple antibiotic on the spot they leave.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Posting this under PETS/DOGS might help....For people just wear light colored clothes band your cuffs botton you shirts. Wear a repellent & check youself when you come out of the woods & fields. To detach a tick 2 old fashion ways hot match &or Alchol will get them to back off the burn or drown them in the alchol.
I seriously have tick phobia! I have never got one yet... But my daughter has twice... she is only 3... Poor thing last summer had one right on the top of her poor little head.

We also used some alcohol and a match and the thing backed right out and my husband took the tweezers and picked it up fast and then took his pocket knife and chopped it up...

The alcohol and match trick has never failed us...

Every time I see them I seriously feel like I am going to pass out and I may very well if I every get one...

I use bug granules in the front yard to help repel them...
Gotta watch the littles one though with it in the yard...

Ron I would love to have a tick cremation factory here!
That is too funny

Last edited by Beretta; 05-15-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Kristy...dont want to scare you but please strip search your daughter nightly! I almost died at her age from Rocky Mt Spotted tick fever...

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Kristy...dont want to scare you but please strip search your daughter nightly! I almost died at her age from Rocky Mt Spotted tick fever...
Yeah katie, my sis had that too- scared the heck out of us. When I was a kid it was the nightly bath, which drowns them. Mom taught us to look for them when we were in the bath, and that worked fine.
Lymes is worse from what I've been told. Knock on wood ticks.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM

I remember my mom putting me nude on the kitchen table every night checking every crack & crevase....baths dont always drown them!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:32 PM

137 posts, read 615,480 times
Thumbs up Twist!

We have more than our share of the little buggers it seems. When pulling attached ticks with a tweaser, pull and twist at the same time and they come completely out every time.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
Quote:
You are so right Katie... I am not joking either about my fear of them. Not much scares me, but they scare me beyond belief for some reason... I get slight panic attacks even, my husband has to pull them off, cause I just can't handle it...

You know what I was just coming back to this post to say two of them were on her poor little head the other night! I was furious... she is so little and innocent and loves to play outside and I felt so horrible. I told my husband no tall grass and only in the front yard. I have put granules all over the yard that are supposed to kill ticks and 30 other insects...

What are the symptoms of Rocky Mountain Fever? That is exactly what I am scared of. In Oregon where we used to live I had to worry about Lyme's disease and here it is Rocky Mountain fever.
In fact last year in Gilette,WY which is one county to the east of ours had 6 cases of Rocky Mountain Fever, it was isolated to a Coal Mine area though...

Do you recommend any kind of repellent for little ones that is deet free that is good for repelling ticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Yeah katie, my sis had that too- scared the heck out of us. When I was a kid it was the nightly bath, which drowns them. Mom taught us to look for them when we were in the bath, and that worked fine. Lymes is worse from what I've been told. Knock on wood ticks.
I didn't know baths drowned them that is good... Last night we gave her a bath after playing out side and I had my husband check her, I checked her, and again before bed. I make him check her 4 or 5 times sometimes.... and he thinks I am nuts.

But the other night it wasn't till the third check that we found the two on her head...

My daughter once got a tiny deer tick in Oregon and they cause Lyme Disease. Luckily she never got anything... but they are so tiny, and Lymes I don't think every leaves your body either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living