Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,240 times

Advertisements

Here are some tips from a website on moving to a small town:

Be involved. Small towns are in a state of expansion and development. They need modern thinkers like you who can lead them to more advanced ways of doing things. Volunteer your talent to initiatives of churches, hospitals, and fire brigades. Doing this will make you more committed to your community and will help you appreciate your new home.

Be wary of traditions. Small towns pride themselves in a handful of traditions so be prepared to adjust yourself to some of them. Small towns might also have festivities and celebrations at least once a year. No matter how crazy the fest might be, just be open. Remember, you’re part of it now.
This kind of nonsense just makes me crazy. Let me tell you something. We dont' need you slickers coming to southern Missouri to "lead" us into "more advanced ways of doing things" with your "modern thinking."

And, yes, every little Ozarks town has got at least one annual festival of some sort to celebrate its heritage or its ag product. If you slickers think it's crazy, just stay home while we simple folk enjoy our simple country ways.

The best tip of all: Stay in your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,178 times
What a rude and annoying article. I hope you left a comment!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,237 times
And some people wonder why small town or county people don't seem to like them or are
stand-offish?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
This kind of nonsense just makes me crazy. Let me tell you something. We dont' need you slickers coming to southern Missouri to "lead" us into "more advanced ways of doing things" with your "modern thinking."

Oh okay then. Give us back all the technology we "city slickers" have come up with while you country folk just shoveled manure. That includes the computer you're using to troll the internet.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Oh okay then. Give us back all the technology we "city slickers" have come up with while you country folk just shoveled manure. That includes the computer you're using to troll the internet.
No problem! Just send us back all the food you planned on eating today.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Of course that article assumes that all people from cities are "modern thinkers," but when you get right down to it, cities have a huge number of conservative thinkers -- and I mean "conservative" in the purest definition of the word, not politically.

It also assumes that a city dweller moving into a small town or rural area didn't move away from the city because they're damn sick and tired of "advanced ways of doing things" (you know, like sitting at red lights all day long).

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Not all technology has come from big cities. A LOT of it has come from the minds of people living in small towns and rural areas. Some of the best tax software for business in use right now across the Country started out in a small room above a small grocery store in a town of less than a 1000 people, and are now located in a town of less than 8000. (Professional Tax Software - ATX) And you might just want to look up who developed the first programmable computer (The Z1) before you make yourself look like a fool any more. The idea was developed by Konrad Zuse in his parents apartment in Hoyerswerda, Germany. A town that has a population on less than 50,000 now. Not too sure what the population was in the 1930's when he developed the concept. He then went to Berlin for school and work where he continued to build and develop the concept further. (The main concept I might add that IBM bought in the late 40's to develop their computers.)

If you want to include John Atanasoff as an early contributor to electronic computers, he was born in Hamilton, New York which is a small village. He worked with Clifford Berry who was from Gladbrook, Iowa another small town. So... Along with feeding the cities, we also gave you the computers from small towns. They built it at Ames, Iowa, another small city of 50k now. A lot less back in the 40's. We get a lot done between shovelfuls of manure I guess.

The attitude you show here is just the type the OP was referring to. We don't have it now and don't want you to bring it to town with you if you come (which we REALLY hope you think you are too good to bother with us in the first place, and just stay where you are). If you look, a lot of the technology you use was started and worked on in small towns and cities across the world, then the ideas were carried to bigger cities where there was a larger work force so the small town boys could exploit the city workers and develop their ideas to a global scale.

Last edited by Bydand; 11-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: added Clifford Berrys hometown

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
No problem! Just send us back all the food you planned on eating today.
Right. Because small-time farmers provide the MAJOR source of food that I eat.

Oh, and ya'll who think my posts are anything but humor...good grief. Lighten up Francis!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The best tip of all: Stay in your city.
I beg to differ-best tip of all? Don't pay any attention to meaningless drivel written by morons. It's not as if some credible person posted that article-any twit can put something on about.com or whatever that was...

Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM

43 posts, read 88,908 times
Default Citiots

In upstate NY, we refer to the NYC types as citiots - city idiots- for the stupid things they do and say here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living