Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

I live in the country. We have a modest homestead and enjoy our quiet, secluded rural existence. It was what we have always wanted.

Prior to my moving to the boonies, I did live a time in cities here and there. Phoenix, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, New Orleans, and I did learn to appreciate the beauty of a well-sung aria, or a symphony performance, or a glorious display of artistic talent. Having the good fortune of being fairly well educated and somewhat erudite in my tastes I am not a stranger to a little culture or refinement.

Mostly, however, I enjoy my vegetable garden and my fruit trees. One day I hope to enjoy my sheep as well. But every once in a while, when I hear a beautiful song I long for a little more. I long to converse with people who don't say..... "We seen it there". Or "We've went there". I long to talk about things that these people have no knowledge of, nor interest in.

Those of you who share my frustration and dilemma.... How do you handle it? It seems more and more that people of culture are isolated in nasty little cliques in large towns and cities and you cannot simply waltz in and soak it up at a moments notice. You have to be "one of them" which, alas I am not. And yet, surely there are people out there - like me. Surely there must be.

If anyone out there has figured out how to deal with this, please respond. Today I am feeling very much like the victim of an avalanche of blue collar and I would practically sell my soul for an orchestra seat at some (any) Verde Opera. At this point, I'd settle for Gilbert and Sullivan.

*sigh*

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 05:16 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
I left "the big city" behind, but I still have many friends there - they like to come visit me for the peace and quiet (and sun) and I like to go back and visit them for the restaurants, the lecture series, bookstores and the much better farmer's markets and grocery stores.

I've had quite a bit of luck with "friends of friends," too - going to a different town with a friend, meeting their friends there, and getting acquainted that way.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM

733 posts, read 4,655,129 times
Take a few of your "less refined" rural friends with you to visit the big city. Take in a show, a museum or two, and you might be amazed at how much they appreciate the same things you do. Living a long ways from good theater and concert halls caused me the same concerns. A blacksmith who never graduated from high school - wise in life but not in books - now calls me when he sees a playbill for a new show and is the first guy to set up trips to the city to visit interesting art shows and events. Don't underestimate your neighbors...

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

252 posts, read 733,157 times
I hear the choke in your throat and sympathize. We need a social group inside this forum for this dilemma.

The best solution would be a Eur Rail system that carried us quickly, back and forth, to city events. Ah-h. I dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I live in the country. We have a modest homestead and enjoy our quiet, secluded rural existence. It was what we have always wanted.

Prior to my moving to the boonies, I did live a time in cities here and there. Phoenix, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, New Orleans, and I did learn to appreciate the beauty of a well-sung aria, or a symphony performance, or a glorious display of artistic talent. Having the good fortune of being fairly well educated and somewhat erudite in my tastes I am not a stranger to a little culture or refinement.

Mostly, however, I enjoy my vegetable garden and my fruit trees. One day I hope to enjoy my sheep as well. But every once in a while, when I hear a beautiful song I long for a little more. I long to converse with people who don't say..... "We seen it there". Or "We've went there". I long to talk about things that these people have no knowledge of, nor interest in.

Those of you who share my frustration and dilemma.... How do you handle it? It seems more and more that people of culture are isolated in nasty little cliques in large towns and cities and you cannot simply waltz in and soak it up at a moments notice. You have to be "one of them" which, alas I am not. And yet, surely there are people out there - like me. Surely there must be.

If anyone out there has figured out how to deal with this, please respond. Today I am feeling very much like the victim of an avalanche of blue collar and I would practically sell my soul for an orchestra seat at some (any) Verde Opera. At this point, I'd settle for Gilbert and Sullivan.

*sigh*

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Everything Verde ever wrote is available on a CD or DVD.

Upgrade your sound system, pull your blinds, and let your hick neighbors suck their hay straws until the rest of their teeth fall out.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Branson's whole reason for existence is for folks to chew on haystems and pretend to be hillbillies. Especially summertime tourist hillbillies. "Grand ol' opery" won't do it, huh? Perhaps some of the hillbilly "personas" of your neighbors are mere gloss and you can find a few with matching interests?

Either that or schedule a vacation away from the homestead occasionally and weekend away in a big city and take in a bit of arts and entertainment there?

Perhaps you could take a wine making class or take up flower arranging or start a bookclub? Those may be pursuits which would bring out someone with more matching tastes for you to socialize with. We've taken up knitting lately and our little social group has winkled out a few retired academic folks who raise sheep and are interested in fiber arts.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Branson's whole reason for existence is for folks to chew on haystems and pretend to be hillbillies. Especially summertime tourist hillbillies. "Grand ol' opery" won't do it, huh? Perhaps some of the hillbilly "personas" of your neighbors are mere gloss and you can find a few with matching interests?

Either that or schedule a vacation away from the homestead occasionally and weekend away in a big city and take in a bit of arts and entertainment there?

Perhaps you could take a wine making class or take up flower arranging or start a bookclub? Those may be pursuits which would bring out someone with more matching tastes for you to socialize with. We've taken up knitting lately and our little social group has winkled out a few retired academic folks who raise sheep and are interested in fiber arts.
Wool sheep in Hawaii? That's very interesting. Funny you should mention this, because I do spin wool and knit. I'm sure there are a few out there. I just need to hunt them down. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
I just go somewhere. Of course, I despise where I am, and cant wait to be with the hillbillies once again.
I totally understand how you feel, I just really try to take a road trip once a month. DH stays home with the critters, and doesnt mind if I leave for a few days.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
Technically you are doing it now. Reaching out to communicate with someone who isn't your current neighbor. It's possible that there is someone locally with like intrests. Me I kind of like meeting those who are somewhat different from me, at least every now and then. Is there a Library in the area? Again maybe Facebook or some other social network.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,999,258 times
A very wise woman posted this in another thread - it sounds like it might be applicable:

Where I live people get together down by the lake and drink beer and have cook-outs. You can also have a BBQ at your house or go to someone elses and have a fun time. You can rent movies and have get togethers with popcorn (and beer, of course). You can have wine and cheese parties. There are a zillion fun thngs for adults to do! You have to use your imagination.

Even our area has a couple of bars where people go and hang out. Now granted, most of them are working men with dirt (or manure) on their boots, but its still fun. During football season they put on the games so idiots can yell at the TV (never could figure that one out).

There are yard sales every weekend. And usually there is some kind of "event" nearby that is fun. Every month it seems there is some kind of event going on, whether it is a "Spring Fling" dance, or a "Sadie Hawkins Day" event or "4th of July Picnic" or "Harvest Festival". Soon I think there is going to be a Apple Butter Days coming up and it's always lots of fun. Plenty of food and usually live entertainment.

If you have "no life" as you say. Perhaps you are not making the effort to get to know people and participate in regional activities. You can't expect people to just come knocking on your door (although around here, neighbors will do that). You have to get up and get out and get to know folks. You might try volunteering to help put an event together. I know that local organizations are always looking for people to help.

Call the local Chamber of Commerce (if you have one, and even most small towns do), or all city hall and find out what's going on and how you can help. If nothing is going on - then go to a City Counsel meeting and SUGGEST something. They'll put you in charge and you will have plenty to do (and will meet lots of people).

Life is what you make of it. You can jump in with both feet or you can sit on the sidelines and complain. Your choice.

I'm just pulling your leg, of course. I know what you mean about longing for a little more. That's exactly why I couldn't live in a rural area very long. I like too many things that just aren't available in most rural areas, and I like them too much to have to make a 2 or 3 hour trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living