Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 3,315,728 times

Advertisements

Agreed the biggest reason Campbell's Soup is leaving California because the demand for canned foods is down significantly from our parents and grand parents day and so they needed to shrink there capacity. The other reason is that generally canneries are located closer to where they get there ingredients and generally located in rural communities with much lower labor costs. You expect to find canneries in places like Orland, Gridley or Live Oak, but not in places like Sacramento. The only reason the area kept Campbell's as long as it did is that in the past the City and County gave them money to stay here. That is the same reason that Blue Diamond is still here. But the one that aren't on the dole have long gone.

As for the people on the right, I suspect most would agree with your arguments about the evils of subsidies for specific targeted industries, their argument seems to be more that the overall level of taxes, worker's compensation costs and high energy prices caused by California's renewable portfolio standard are in general driving employers out of the area.

I would say the overall record is pretty mixed in that regard. Coastal California is producing enough high value goods and services where the higher costs of doing business in California is generally not a problem. Higher state taxes and business expenses aren't going to drive Google out of San Clara County, there are only so many places Google can find a work force like that. In the inland areas, the higher costs of business imposed by the State probably is driving work from places like the Inland Empire and the Central Valley. A lot of the towns in the Valley are like Stockton or Yuba City places with a fairly poorly trained work force where the local economies compete exclusively on cost, the inland empire has lots of towns like Fontana that are pretty much in the same place. Here the risk of work being driven out of state by higher costs imposed by State legislation probably is genuine. The Lowe's West Coast Distribution center probably can just as easily be located in Sparks or Woodland and will move to where ever the cost is lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,325,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Didn't Carl's cancel their planned move to Texas?
In Feb 2011, they announced they were "exploring" the idea of moving to Texas. Not a peep from them since then. More blow from Andrew Puzder. I think he's more involved in Romney's campaign these days, than thinking about moving the operation. I think he found out that Carpinteria is a much nicer place than anywhere in TX.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,655,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

As for the people on the right, I suspect most would agree with your arguments about the evils of subsidies for specific targeted industries, their argument seems to be more that the overall level of taxes, worker's compensation costs and high energy prices caused by California's renewable portfolio standard are in general driving employers out of the area.

I would say the overall record is pretty mixed in that regard. Coastal California is producing enough high value goods and services where the higher costs of doing business in California is generally not a problem. Higher state taxes and business expenses aren't going to drive Google out of San Clara County, there are only so many places Google can find a work force like that. In the inland areas, the higher costs of business imposed by the State probably is driving work from places like the Inland Empire and the Central Valley. A lot of the towns in the Valley are like Stockton or Yuba City places with a fairly poorly trained work force where the local economies compete exclusively on cost, the inland empire has lots of towns like Fontana that are pretty much in the same place. Here the risk of work being driven out of state by higher costs imposed by State legislation probably is genuine. The Lowe's West Coast Distribution center probably can just as easily be located in Sparks or Woodland and will move to where ever the cost is lower.
I think we agree. I should clarify that when I say "from the right", it's not a universal complaint, or a party platform, but the occasional person who tried to jump on any opportunity to make it a political point.

I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley, and agree that it's long been a tortured economy and it's unpleasant to imagine a new job center in Sparks, when it could be in Madera. At the same time, many of the concerns that drive regulation in the state are genuine for the Central Valley and Inland Empire. E.g., it costs more to operate a truck fleet here because the air pollution in much of the state is atrocious and has serious impacts, especially for the poorest residents. Not to say that all of the regulations are needed or helpful, but some increased burden for certain CA businesses is possibly inevitable.

It's a bit of a microcosm of globalization. On one hand, the lower the burden to trade, the more efficient the economy may become, as each state/region/country capitalizes on the things it does best. On the other hand, there can be a race for the bottom in laws and regulatory burden, for better or worse.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 PM

914 posts, read 2,921,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
First Carls Jr./Hardees, now Comcast and Campbells...what's with the letter "c" ???

Seriously though, this should be a wake call to the people of California. It's time for a change of guard in Sacramento.
What about Carl's Jr.? I didn't hear any news about them?

Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Again, if there was something in particular we could put our finger on, I'd love a dialog about it, particularly if politicians would pay attention.
Oh my. You don't understand the system. Politicians don't pay attention. You pay them if you want attention.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,253,629 times
Comcast jobs are going to Oregon and Washington. The soup jobs are going to Texas etc.
We do have some work to do here in regards to creating and keeping jobs.
Arnold Shwartzenegger , (R) was at the state helm for seven years and the only thing he created was a child with his maid. Something to think about...

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Comcast jobs are going to Oregon and Washington. The soup jobs are going to Texas etc.
We do have some work to do here in regards to creating and keeping jobs.
Arnold Shwartzenegger , (R) was at the state helm for seven years and the only thing he created was a child with his maid. Something to think about...
The child was about eight when Ahnold became Governor. I could point out that the Dems have been the majority in the Legislature for about 30 years and all they've produced is debt, but I won't! It's not germain to the subject.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
At least the Campbell's "jobs" aren't going overseas. My guess is the plants in the other locations are more automated and won't require as many people to produce the same amount of soup.

$20 says the Comcast jobs end up India.
Comcast jobs are going to colorado, oregon and washington. The Herald Business Journal: Comcast shifting jobs to Snohomish County

In a Sept. 25 news release, the company cited the high cost of living and doing business in California as the reason behind the decision to shut down the call centers in Sacramento, Livermore and Morgan Hill at the end of November

Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
When was the last time any of you actually bought and consumed Campbell's Soup? Even for canned soup, Campbell's Soup was really bad. Am I the only person who thought this probably should have occurred much earlier.
They usually have major sales for Campbell's soups in January and I stock up and buy several months'
worth. I think a lot of their soups are pretty good.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,853,597 times
I haven't eaten Campbell soup for a couple of years because I switched over to "healthier brands" even though there were several soups of theirs that I really liked (tomato). The "healthier" tomato's just don't compare.

This is also being discussed in the California forum https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...s-comcast.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento