Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,317,214 times

Advertisements

Not sure if I'd consider the traditional Campbell's sodium-laden stuff any healthier than fast food--and the company's more recent emphasis on fresher, healthier fare, and more modern forms of packaging (but no less shelf-stable) are the main reason why they plan on closing the Sacramento facility--not this partisan silliness about being business-friendly (due to an earlier deal to keep them in Sacramento County, the Campbell's facility doesn't pay any property taxes.) I eat a can once in a while, or use a can of Cream of Mushroom as a sauce, but it's hardly the kitchen stable it was when refrigerators were rare and farm-to-table cycles longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,711,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah. Bad soup is about that easy. Good soup is far more involved. I doubt you're a cook. Thankfully my wife is and makes real soups.

But the hard part would be condensing them, preserving them and fitting them into a small enough container to fit a lot of them on a shelf for future use. Campbell Soup does a real good job of that.

By the way, you'd likely be hard-pressed to convince many of us raised in the 40s and 50s that what our mothers served us as comfort food when we were sick actually stinks.
Typical. Small insult, nothing related, assumption, and big self pat on the back. Have you tasted 5 to 6 year old food with a 10 to 15 year shelf life? Do you know the smell? Let me tell you, it's disgusting.

Want to know the scariest food filled with preservatives? Bread. That's right. WW2 style rationed bread that has never gone away. I visit the local dollar store to buy bread just to stomp on it flat to watch it grow back to it's original shape.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,538,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Typical. Small insult, nothing related, assumption, and big self pat on the back. Have you tasted 5 to 6 year old food with a 10 to 15 year shelf life? Do you know the smell? Let me tell you, it's disgusting.

Want to know the scariest food filled with preservatives? Bread. That's right. WW2 style rationed bread that has never gone away. I visit the local dollar store to buy bread just to stomp on it flat to watch it grow back to it's original shape.
Oh yes. I know a little bit about old packaged food. Spent eight years in the military backed in the dark ages. Ever had C rations? The canned white bread was the absolute worst.

Speaking of bread, I quite agree. That's why my wife bakes all of our bread from fresh, locally produced whole grain flours. We are lucky to live in an area with many mills dating back to the 1800s. As you said, packaged bread is loaded with preservatives. You can both smell and taste them. Not good!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,327,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Actually, the Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law, and championed by Republican, conservative icon, Ronald Reagan.

I think we can all agree that sometimes well-intentioned laws have disastrous unintended consequences. This is what has happened here. In fact, this past year, a Federal attorney announced that the law was to be broadened to include amusement parks, miniature golf courses, and swimming pools. Now this latest wrinkle may indeed be overreach on the part of a liberal U.S. attorney's office who want to pile on the regulations and constraints in the name of "equal access for all". That sounds good in a speech, or in a proclammation but the reality is a huge burden for society at large as they seek to accomodate minority groups, which in this case includes the disabled.
The Americans with Disabilities act was passed in 1990. It was signed by George Hubert Walker Bush. Bob Dole the Disabled Republican Senator from Kansas was one of the big backers of the legislation. This legislation came well after Reagan.

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento